Thread: Rocky Mountain National Park--any canyoneering?

Rocky Mountain National Park--any canyoneering?

I think this has come up before on this forum. I did "google" this topic, and uh, nothing came up. But maybe members of the canyoneering community have unposted info or beta on this topic. I'll be hiking with my wife and son in latter half of July, but I could bring some canyoneering gear along in the car . . . just in case. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If you still want to search the forum, try "Colorado Slot canyons." There are a few in western Colorado and around Ouray, there are some wet canyons. Having climbed many peaks in Rocky Mountain park, I think the only "canyoneering" you would find there would be in extremely steep couloirs or some short "gorge" sections that streams have carved out. The park geology is largely metamorphic rocks and intrusive granites, etc. that don't lend themselves to the typical sedimentary canyons of the Colorado plateau. There are a number of people on the Colorado Front Range who participate in canyoneering. Perhaps some of them have some beta or you may try contacting "Neptune Mountaineering" in Boulder.

Some people go canyoning at East Inlet Creek, on the west side of the Park. I haven't done it though, so don't have any beta other than I know people do it. July might be early? The creeks might still be high then.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thanks for both responses. I'll check them out. I am familiar with canyoneering in Ouray, having read Michael Dallin's guide and last year, I was able to carve out a morning (while on a hiking vacation with my "non-canyoneering" wife) and do Portland Creek.

There's one outside Boulder called Dream Canyon. Here's one reference, there's probably more around. Never done it myself. Some friends did part of it - IIRC the first drop is almost exactly 200'. But that may depend on the exact route you take.

Try posting the question on the Colorado Canyoneers yahoo groups e-mail list.

East Inlet is one of the slickest ankle breaking canyons I've done, worse than anything you will find in Ouray. Arapahoe Creek is also in that general area by the Moffit Tunnel...3 rappels, can escape at pretty much any point. Beta is online and a youtube somewhere