Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: night photos

I was down in Moab for a quick bike trip. I thought I would try a shot of the night sky over moonflower with my D7100 and my 14-24 lens. I had forgotten my tripod. So I propped it on the hood of the car. I thought I had a great shot looking at the back of the camera (until I loaded it into lightroom).

It turns out, ISO H20 doesn't clean up.

Kudos to some amazing shots.

I am still hopeful.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

2. Likes tozo liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hey, Stray. I think you should be able to do some decent night stuff with a D7100. I used to used a D90 and got some pretty decent results. I've done lots without a tripod, propped up rocks, slanted the camera in the snow. whatever. Here's my basic night recipe. Bear in mind I do most of night stuff with a 14mm prime lens, so the less wide the less time (google the 500rule for night photography). With my D600 I crank the ISO to 3200-4000, focus to infinity (make sure autofocus is off!), make sure your aperture is as open as possible. Your 14-24mm is probably a 2.8? Plently wide. I set a 5s timer (so the camera doesn't shift when I press the shutter) and wait. I also use an in camera dark frame subtraction. I think the D7100 has that, it's labeled something like Long Exposure Noise Reduction. I also only shoot RAW files, for the most post-processsing versitility (that's a whole other endless topic).
    If you ever have any questions just drop me a line, I love to talk about this stuff.
    Here's one I did with my D90.
    Name:  Tushar-Yurt-Trip_18.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  70.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Swimswithtrout View Post
    It's winter !!

Attachment 76937
    pretty please - what camera lens etc did you use to get this photo?

Its sooo beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    pretty please - what camera lens etc did you use to get this photo? Its sooo beautiful
    Speaking of the D7100, the photos in my post were taken with my Nikon D7100 and 80mm/ f7 (560mm focal length ) APO refractor. All images are "stacks" of 5min sub exposures with a total integrated exposure time of 2 to 2 1/2 hrs.

It's been awhile since I've posted anything so I thought i'd share a few.
    Here's a few from comb ridge back in february
    Many of you probably recognize this ruin. All illumination was done by just placing a headlamp inside the door. Never entered, no more than leaning in and peaking around. I thought the ancient vegas were very cool.
    And the crane petroglyph on Comb Ridge. This one was kinda tricky since the moon rose too late to illuminate anything. So I took two exposures and blended.

9. Likes tozo liked this post
    thanks, Wasatch Rebel! Modern digital camera are amazing things. If you have an specific questions shoot me a message.

Also wanted to let everyone out in Bogley Land who may be interested know that I'm going to have a bunch of photos showing in the gallery of the downtown Salt Lake City Library. Opening on May 9th and they'll be up for about a month. Many of the images have been posted in the forum.

So if you're in SLC with nothing to do come down to the opening or try to check them out during the month sometime.

here's a link to more info
    http://www.slcpl.lib.ut.us/events/view/3881/

Thanks for the blatant self-promotion, bogley!