Thread: BYU confirms investigation into improper benefit allegations

BYU confirms investigation into improper benefit allegations

BUSTED!!! Hookers? Beer? Blow? Or Diet Coke?

---

PROVO — Brigham Young University has confirmed that the university is investigating reports that improper benefits were received by football players.

"BYU is aware of the allegations and has been conducting a thorough review of the matter," BYU associate athletics director Duff Tittle told KSL.

Scott Garrard, program director of radio station 1280 AM, first reported the allegations in a tweet, saying "Can confirm a BYU investigation into allegations a former BYU staff member provided illegal gifts to current and former players."

Early reports had former Cougar wide receiver Cody Hoffman linked to the investigation, but Hoffman's manager Sam Leaf denied the allegations to KSL, saying Hoffman was not involved and "we're really not worried about anything."

Leaf said Hoffman was approached by BYU two months ago to give a report regarding an investigation into improper benefits, including money, merchandise and housing being offered to current and former players. Hoffman did not speak with the university because Leaf said he wanted Hoffman to focus on the upcoming NFL draft.

"I made the decision for Cody to decline any involvement in it," Leaf said. "Not because we had anything to hide, but I wanted my client to focus on the draft and what was ahead of him."

Leaf said Hoffman did receive a couple pair of socks, but believed the socks were from the university's equipment room.

"If the NCAA does want to sit down with Cody at some point, we would be an open book to them," Leaf said.

Leaf declined to comment about other athletes involved, saying: "There's no point of me throwing a kid under the bus without any proof. I just know that my client has done nothing wrong."

Although the university has been investigating the allegation for more than two month, Leaf said he doesn't believe the allegation to be too serious.
    "To be honest, I don't feel like this is a big deal." Leaf said. "I give BYU credit for wanting to jump on this and wanting to control it. But from my side this happens on every college across the country."

Whether the allegations against the university are founded and to what extent is unknown at this time. The university was made aware of the allegations a few months ago and have been investigating since.

More information will be posted when it's available.

Contributing: Andrew Adams

Read more at http://www.ksl.com/?nid=272&sid=2998...VXfwMGgi2CO.99

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement