Thread: Ideas for Scout backpacking overnighter near SLC

Ideas for Scout backpacking overnighter near SLC

All,

I'm looking for a good place to take our Scout group for an overnight backpacking trip in 2 weeks, probably 10-12 people total. It will be the first pack trip for most of them, and I want them just to be able to get their feet wet in preparation for longer trips this summer. Looking for somewhere w/in an hour of SLC, and not more than a few miles hike in. Given current snow levels, destinations I was thinking about (eg, Desolation lake in BCC) are probably not going to be possible, although I will probably head up Mill D tomorrow evening to check out conditions.

I did a lot of packing (mostly in the Uintas and So. Utah, but a few brief overnighters in the Wasatch), but that was 10 years ago in my college days, and I can't remember most of the places we used to head up to for a quick night out. Is there something doable up in Bells Canyon, maybe a bit above the lower reservoir? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would assume Dog Lake would be fairly reasonable in a few weeks. If there is still too much snow at Dog Lake, something like Grandeur Peak might work. It is uphill, but the summit area is pretty flat and you can see all the city lights. I've camped on top many times when I was a scout, always in early June.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Red Pine lake. Even in the snow it doable in June. We did it with Scouts and will do again soon.

Thanks for the input all. I hiked up to Dog Lake last night, and it looks good to go. That will be our destination for this trip. Should fit the skill/fitness level of our group and be a good introduction, I think.