Thread: Canyoneering in Zion's Subway

Canyoneering in Zion's Subway

I have 4 permits to Zion's Subway for June 1. I'm looking for someone who is experienced with canyoneering to come along to help with the technical portions of the trip. You will be welcome to bring someone if you'd like. I'm extremely fit, but have limited canyoneering experience. If you're interested, feel free to contact me by phone, text, or e-mail.

My friends and I will be traveling from the Los Angeles area.

Tony

818-919-9687
    tony_amicangelo@yahoo.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tonisamican34 View Post
    I have 4 permits to Zion's Subway for June 1. I'm looking for someone who is experienced with canyoneering to come along to help with the technical portions of the trip. You will be welcome to bring someone if you'd like. I'm extremely fit, but have limited canyoneering experience. If you're interested, feel free to contact me by phone, text, or e-mail.

Tony

818-919-9687
    Buying them dinner afterward is considered a polite compensation for assistance on a Subway trip...

Good luck, hope you find suitable companions.

Tom

4. Likes Byron liked this post
    Now that's downright neighborly!!!
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Quote Originally Posted by tonisamican34 View Post

Tony

818-919-9687
    If your in good shape, even without technical experience, the Subway is a no brainer. We were able to do the whole thing without rappelling once. We set setup static lines and just slid down them the old fashion way. In many ways it was better than fiddling around with gear in frigid water. Don't fall on the last rappel or you could be seriously hurt or killed, but it isn't too steep. I have seen people climb up the last 30' rappel with just a hand line.

Be sure to wear a wet or dry suit. It was the COLDEST DAY OF MY LIFE in just swimming trunks. Luckily we had some dry fleeces to put on once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_b00ne View Post
    If your in good shape, even without technical experience, the Subway is a no brainer. We were able to do the whole thing without rappelling once. We set setup static lines and just slid down them the old fashion way. In many ways it was better than fiddling around with gear in frigid water. Don't fall on the last rappel or you could be seriously hurt or killed, but it isn't too steep. I have seen people climb up the last 30' rappel with just a hand line.

Be sure to wear a wet or dry suit. It was the COLDEST DAY OF MY LIFE in just swimming trunks. Luckily we had some dry fleeces to put on once in a while.
    The water can be very cold. The first time I did the subway I did not wear a wetsuit. I have pictures of myself look white as a ghost waist deep in the left fork water. Since then, I have worn neoprene and been pretty darn happy with that choice.

Regarding hand lining the drops, that I can't agree with that bit of advice. There are of course drops that a skilled climber could easily down climb, perhaps all of the drops in the subway. However a rappel will substantially reduce the risk of breaking a limb on these drops, which is very important when ferrying inexperienced canyoneers through the canyon. This corridor has seen too many injuries to inexperienced canyoneers. While the technical challenges are not severe, they should not be underestimated.

Also the canyon is not the place to practice rappelling. This should be done on dry terrain until it is clear that your companions are able to safely put themselves on rappel, rappel without tripping, slipping, or freaking out, and then take themselves off of the rope once they have completed the rappel. I personally believe in using a cows tail to anchor with while setting up to rappel. Having inexperienced canyoneers unanchored close a cliff edge makes me uncomfortable.

Ken

8. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keith_b00ne View Post

Yes. Having not met the OP and his/her friends, I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that they can safely handline all the drops...

NOT!