Thread: Canyon Suggestion Request

Canyon Suggestion Request

I will be taking a group of 5 friends canyoneering (6 total counting me). Four will be newbies. I took the other through Red Hollow and Pine Creek a few years ago. All are in their 30s and in good physical condition. All, but possibly one, has

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Do you have a particular area in mind? Let people know where you're going and then it'll be easier to narrow down a canyon list.

Birch Hollow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birch. Skip rap 1 by hiking LDC. It's the trickiest and most dangerous rap in the whole canyon.

LNT

Leprechaun, bluejohn, black hole is the trip I took 4 newbies on and one was afraid of heights and another didn't know how to swim. You could leave out black hole for the cat women.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    Do you have a particular area in mind? Let people know where you're going and then it'll be easier to narrow down a canyon list.
    Previously, I had limited my search to the Swell, Roost and North Wash as it was going to be a short "dash trip" (arrive late Friday night; canyoneer & return on Saturday) but now we have more time; so I'm open to about anything that is a "reasonable drive" (4 hrs or less one-way) from SLC.

Birch Hollow in Zion is a good one, although if you're looking for skinnies, Right Leprechaun and Left Blarney should fit the bill yet still be wide enough for your big guy. I'm on the smaller side though so you'll want to ask around to make sure. Another good choice down in the North Wash area is the Hogwarts/Merry Piglet combo. Hogwarts is very scenic yet quite easy, and Merry Piglet is right across the road when you exit out. I've never done MP though so I don't know if it fits your criteria, others should chime in on that one.

The gnats is North Wash are probably really bad by now. I'd avoid those. If you are short on time from SLC, Moonshine Wash or the forks of Three Canyon might be good. Maybe some stuff in Bluejohn as well. Baptist/Upper Chute in the Swell might be good, depending on current conditions.

Quandary non-direct is OK for beginners.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post

Quandary non-direct is OK for beginners.
    Yeah except going up ramp would not be fun for the newbies, especially the guy who is afraid of exposure. If you choose that route make sure you take ascending gear and ensure the others know how to use it, so that after the first one up makes it he can drop a rope to those who don't want to do the ramp climb.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to give my friends a short list from which to choose. A few questions...

Birch Hollow:

1) What is the preferred exit (bushwhack, up Orderville, or down Orderville)? Please give your second option if "down Orderville" is your first as I'm not sure if we can get a permit for Orderville.

Right/Upper Leprechaun:

1) Are the gnats in the North Wash bad in the canyons or just by the campgrounds?

2) Is Right/Upper Leprechaun too tight for a big guy, like my friend?

Bluejohn:

1) How much time does the West Fork Exit add to the Main Fork Route (versus just using the Main Exit)?

Thanks once again!

If your efficient doing birch then out thru Order ville is the bomb.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    Yeah except going up ramp would not be fun for the newbies, especially the guy who is afraid of exposure.
    The ramp is pretty easy to protect. I've taken my kids up it when they were 6 and 8. In fact I took a large group of noobs up ramp. Quandary Direct is also pretty easy with noob so long as you have some talent mixed in, which is typical of many canyons.

1) Are the gnats in the North Wash bad in the canyons or just by the campgrounds?
    Just along North Wash itself, but they can be really bad.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Probably going to do Bluejohn this time and Birch another time. Thanks for the suggestions.

Anybody know if a guy with a 50” round and 20” deep chest can squeeze through Right Leprechaun? I've wanted to do this canyon for a while. Got rained out on my one attempt. If my friends are up to a second canyon then I would like to do this Right Leprechaun.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TB123 View Post
    Probably going to do Bluejohn this time and Birch another time. Thanks for the suggestions.

Anybody know if a guy with a 50” round and 20” deep chest can squeeze through Right Leprechaun? I've wanted to do this canyon for a while. Got rained out on my one attempt. If my friends are up to a second canyon then I would like to do this Right Leprechaun.
    It becomes more difficult... but it can be done.

This is main fork: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/...nyon-feb-2005/

Tom

Mountain Man
    Quote Originally Posted by TB123 View Post
    Birch Hollow:

1) What is the preferred exit (bushwhack, up Orderville, or down Orderville)? Please give your second option if "down Orderville" is your first as I'm not sure if we can get a permit for Orderville.
    Two cars that are capable of getting to the bottom, in order to leave one. Makes Birch a breeze. WWH if you can navigate and get up the slippery steeps at its start. Otherwise go up the road.