Thread: Big Spring East/West Loop, Robbers Roost

Big Spring East/West Loop, Robbers Roost

28 March 2014, four of us jumped into the Big Spring East West Loop in the High Spur area of Robbers Roost. Equipment we brought with us consisted of a GPS, 105ft rope, 110ft pull cord, plenty of webbing and hardware. Combining these two canyons took us 5 hours. Time includes farming rocks and building a deadman anchor from scratch. The East Loop has a few interesting down climbs but no rappels. The West Loop has several small rappels, a few of which we rigged with our new Fiddle Stick (FS) device. We decided on using the FS on raps where the anchor location was far back from the actual drop thus eliminating any chance of adding additional rope grooves. I really enjoyed the simplicity and quickness of the FS, another great tool to have in the bag.
    Both of these canyons pack a lot of interesting features and shouldn’t be missed if visiting the area. A great option that we did was combine these two canyons with their big brother to the north, Big Spring NW Fork. This combo made the day feel more complete and only took an additional 2 hours car to car.

Canyon beta was obtained through http://www.climb-utah.com. We found the information to be very accurate and useful.

Area Overview
    Name:  High Spur.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  92.1 KB

Name:  High Spur Canyons.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  79.2 KB

Trail Overview
    Name:  Detail.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  69.3 KB

Name:  Detail2.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  112.3 KB

Looking North towards the two canyons
    Name:  IMG_5971.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  63.8 KB

Dropping into the West Loop
    Name:  IMG_5977.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  89.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5978.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5983.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5986.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5987.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  80.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5992.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  88.4 KB

Fiddle Stick in action
    Name:  IMG_5995.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  104.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5996.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  92.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5999.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  IMG_6005.jpg
Size:  55.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6009.jpg
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6010.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  114.8 KB

Dropping into the East Loop
    Name:  IMG_6013.jpg
Size:  56.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6014.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  113.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6019.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6024.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  106.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6027.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  85.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6030.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  64.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6031.jpg
Size:  112.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6034.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  104.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6035.jpg
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6037.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  82.8 KB

Back to the waiting vehicles
    Name:  IMG_6039.jpg
Size:  116.2 KB

2. Likes accadacca, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Fantastic TR--as usual.

Just curious, did it look like it had been a while since anyone had been down these?

I really need to check these out...

5. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Thanks Dave. I really couldn't tell if people had been in there recently to be honest. Some of the webbing did look old and one drop had no anchor, someone ghosted it? And yes, check them out for sure, you won't be disappointed.

Nice TR. In your opinion can a person easily pull a small utility trailer on the road from the ranger station past the Glen Canyon Recreation area boundary?

8. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Nice pics and tr, like usual!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

10. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Wow, great TR, Andrew. Reading through this made me feel a bit sad--we were in the Roost a few weeks ago and did Big Spring NW
    Fork, among others. It was a blast! East fork was on the list as a 'tweener canyon to fit in after something else, but it just didn't happen. Now I see what we missed!
    Sounds like anchor material (rocks) may be hard to come by in West Fork if deadman rebuilding is necessary? Most of the drops look relatively short from your pics?

12. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Thanks Joe, I'll do a write up for Big Spring NW Fork, Water, and Red Spur, High Spur when I find the time. Don't feel sad my friend, there's always another trip right!? Anchor material shouldn't be a problem in West Fork, in fact the drop that we farmed rocks for could have been bypassed but we didn't want to miss anything in such a fantastic canyon.

If/when I go back to the area I'd put NW Fork and Water Canyon low(ish) on the priority list. Don't get me wrong, they are great but I'd rather duplicate other proximal canyons of the High Spur. In fact of the canyons I've done in the area, I'd prioritize the canyons like this, Red Spur, High Spur, Big Spring East West Loop, Water, and BS NW Fork.

These two canyons pack soo much in such a short distance but yet can still be managed by the average skilled canyoneer. Red Spur is another story, things get a bit more "real" in that canyon due to the hook, length, and remoteness.