Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heaps PH Conditions Inquiry

Heaps PH Conditions Inquiry

Is anyone familiar with the current pot hole conditions in Heaps via the Phantom Valley approach? We are planning a descent over Memorial Day weekend. Thanks.

Sal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have no direct knowledge, but with spring runoff and the recent rains in the park I can't imagine the potholes being too difficult. In fact the potholes in Heaps are never really difficult compared to other slots like Imlay.

I too am curious about the candition in Heaps. We will be going through the weekend after you guys.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Just go prepared for crying out loud. What difference does it make?

LNT

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Just go prepared for crying out loud. What difference does it make?

LNT

HAHA!!! when I saw it was bootboy that posted on this thread, I totally knew what his comment would say. I was spot on!

Of COURSE we will go in prepared. BUT it doesn't hurt to get a better understanding of what the canyon might be like. sheesh, CALM down bootboy. IT REALLY is OKAY to ask a few questions about canyon beta on a canyoneering forum! and in actuality, it could make all the difference! Knowing current canyon conditions from trusted sources can change what I bring through a canyon.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

7. Likes xxnitsuaxx, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    You think it makes a difference. That's why you ask.

You're going in regardless of the answer right?"

You went through about the same time last year, right? I think you can reasonably infer that conditions will be similar. Any relevant difference can be ascertained by a casual review of recent weather.

It's not so much directed at you, but the OP.

It just gets old. Thread after thread after thread of people wanting to know "conditions" down to insignificant minutia. I'm not saying that potholes in Heaps equate to minutia, but if you're in a place like that, you'd damn well better be prepared and have an understanding of the potential hazards.

It's like that one guy that you take on trips against your better judgement who, at EVERY obstacle asks, "how'd you do this". Dude, it's fakkin 4 foot down climb! Just do it. Figure it out.

Anyway....

LNT

9. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    In fact the potholes in Heaps are never really difficult compared to other slots like Imlay.
    I'm pulling rank on you here, Shane. You obviously have not seen Heaps in Hard Conditions, because when it is Hard, it is WAY HARDER than Imlay at its hardest.

Heaps holds its water better than Imlay, so it tends to stay close to full much longer. But when Heaps gets low, it is WAY harder than Imlay. People tend to stop doing it when the water level gets down to that level.

Many of the potholes in Heaps are flat past the pothole for quite a ways, so tossing bags out there does not do any good. Very few as in almost none of the potholes in Heaps have pre-drilled hook holes. Plus Heaps is colder and longer...

And then there's the Devil's Pit!!!

Tom

Thanks everyone. This is a planned one day descent starting at Lava around 4.30am or so. We have two members at least who have done Heaps before, and one has done it twice, but none of us in low water. We did do Imlay last May in low water and had to hook out of Bertha and some others. No hammering though, but it would have helped. If we reach the final raps too late we will bivy rather than rap in the dark. We are stashing the rope as well.
    Three questions: Would a PFD be useful? Would a pack raft be useful? What is the Devil's Pit?

Sal

I would say no to the PFD unless you really have a hard time swimming, since you should get plenty of flotation from your wetsuit, a pack raft would be useless and just get in the way in my opinion. As for the Devils Pit, as far as I can tell you have to be "special" to find it.

13. Likes Taylor, 2065toyota liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    I would say no to the PFD unless you really have a hard time swimming, since you should get plenty of flotation from your wetsuit, a pack raft would be useless and just get in the way in my opinion. As for the Devils Pit, as far as I can tell you have to be "special" to find it.
    Ha ha... very good.

I would bring a Supai Pool Toy in low water conditions. Makes potholes escapes much easier.

Devil's Pit: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/history/heaps82.htm

Some folks got caught by the Pit last summer.

Tom

Thanks, again. I have a Supai. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sal

Hell even when I'm headed out to ride a bike trail I've done 100X, I'd like to know if there were any snow patches or puddles. I'll be in the parking lot, so obviously I'm planning on riding it, but if a rider comes back it's sometimes nice to know if there are puddles to avoid, or a lot of hikers to slow down for, dusty or tacky surface, or a boulder that has rolled across the trail.

If I'm dressed heavily and I learn there's no need for the extra layers, it sure does make the ride nicer if I can wear shorts and a T shirt. If somebody jumped on me for asking how the trail was lately, they'd regret it.

No harm in asking current conditions. I don't take it as an excuse to not learn the beta.

I would suggest anybody who doesn't like Conditions threads, to avoid threads with "Conditions" in the title. Trip Reports too, because if you've done the canyon, you wouldn't want to EVER see any other pictures of it because that would give away the current conditions, right?

Welcome to bogley, @cynrat

17. Likes darhawk, xxnitsuaxx, hikster11, Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I would suggest anybody who doesn't like Conditions threads, to avoid threads with "Conditions" in the title. Trip Reports too, because if you've done the canyon, you wouldn't want to EVER see any other pictures of it because that would give away the current conditions,
    ^^^THIS^^^

Not everyone is as awesome as Bootboy who only does 4C X canyons with no beta and 50 pounds of sand in his pack. Some of us (me included) like to know what we are getting into for the day.

19. Likes darhawk, xxnitsuaxx, hikster11, Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    It's like that one guy that you take on trips against your better judgement who, at EVERY obstacle asks, "how'd you do this". Dude, it's fakkin 4 foot down climb! Just do it. Figure it out.
    Or the opposite. They guy that gives you beta on every little down climb. And then you purposely do it differently. Just because!

I get where you are coming from. It is fun to be the first one through for the season and go in prepared for anything. You can get the same excitement by not reading about current conditions. However, it doesn't bother me that people ask or that people give out condition reports. Especially if you are waiting for a particular canyon to be in a certain "mode" before you decide to make the trip.

After the latest storm, I was going to check the road conditions before driving to Halls Creek, but after reading some of the above post, I decided the H#$% with checking road conditions; I'll just find out when I get there.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

22. Likes darhawk, xxnitsuaxx, mzamp liked this post
    Stop trolling, bootboy.

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Stop trolling, bootboy.
    Ya got me.

LNT

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    After the latest storm, I was going to check the road conditions before driving to Halls Creek, but after reading some of the above post, I decided the H#$% with checking road conditions; I'll just find out when I get there.
    stop trolling Scott...

26. Likes Scott P liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    I'm pulling rank on you here, Shane. You obviously have not seen Heaps in Hard Conditions, because when it is Hard, it is WAY HARDER than Imlay at its hardest.
    Ditto that. I've done Heaps in "hard" conditions. Its WAY harder than Imlay under any conditions, IMHO. I least I found it so...and, so did another friend who's a very experienced climber.

Keepers in Heaps are pretty gnarly. Glad they don't appear very often. Takes super low water conditions, methinks.

Obviously I've never done Heaps in super hard conditions, just added it to the bucket list.

I assume the super low water conditions are a little rare?

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3