Thread: *Lost & Found*

Blog Entries

*Lost & Found*

The purpose of the thread is maintaining a repository of our precious loot that we have become separated with. Once it has been reunited with the owner, then I will unlink the gear from this page.

How to Use: Please create a separate forum post for lost gear (specifics) and then I'll copy and paste the link so we can tie it back to here for easy reference.

PS - I'll carry the responsibility of maintaining this thread, however, other mods can definitely add or remove info as well.

Last Updated: 07/20/15

LOST

05/31/14 - Zion - Pine Creek - Imlay 9.1mm, 80ft rope in a Imlay potshot bag. Green & Yellow. More info here.
    06/23/14 - Zion - Orderville Gulch - Black Diamond Harness. More info here.
    07/18/14 - Zion - Subway - Lost GoPro Camera. More Info Here.
    08/17/14 - Ouray - Corbett Creek - Left camera at or after last rap. More info here.
    09/07/14 - Swell - Ramp Canyon - Lost Camera near "difficult obstacle" in Ramp Canyon. More info here.
    09/07/14 - Capitol Reef - Cottonwood Wash - lost Imlay Bagarino (rope bag) left on bottom of first rap. (posted by member TKPH in this thread)
    09/13/14 - Arizona - Sundance Canyon - Lost/Left 9 mm 200 foot rope, and a 6mm green 200 ft pull cord. More info here & here.
    09/14/14 - Zion - Kolob Canyon - Left behind, 120' bagged rope. @first rap. More info here.
    09/28/14 - Capitol Reef - Smokestack Canyon - 200' blue rope with chord and locking carabiner. $50 reward. (posted by member @ClimbSurfSki in this thread)
    03/28/15 - Zion - Heaps Canyon - lost GoPro (detached from Helmet "half-way down"). posted by member @dbrown in this thread
    04/17/15 - Zion - Imlay - left 60 ft rope in open sections between narrows. More info here.
    04/28/15 - Zion - Spry - left wetsuit between rap 1 - 5. More info here.
    05/16/15 - Zion - Pinecreek - lost GoPro at Cathedral rap. Attached to a floater with didn't float. More info here.
    05/18/15 - Zion - Imlay - lost 2 ropes and a jacket. More info here.
    05/26/15 - Swell - Cable Canyon - lost camera in gully into Cable Canyon. More info here.
    06/01/15 - Zion - Heaps - stuck rope on penultimate rappel. More info here.
    05/28/15 - Zion - Subway - left 120ft rope at Subway exit. More info here.
    06/06/15 - Zion - Behunin - 200ft rope stuck on last rappel. Sterling C-IV, 60m, green-ish, and left with a note. More info here.
    06/20/15 - Zion - Pine Creek - lost camera in water at the cathedral rap in the adjacent room. More info here.
    07/05/15 - Zion - Kolob - stuck 120' rope about 3/4 through. More info here.

FOUND

09/17/14 - Capitol Reef - Cottonwood Wash - Imlay Bagarino. "rope bag left at the bottom of the first rappel." Also found was gore-tex jacket but not in salvageable condition. (posted by member @TKPH in this thread)
    12/26/14 - North Wash - Hogwarts - Found 2 ropes with note attached, but phone number was smeared. More info here.
    04/26/15 - Zion - Lodge Canyon - Found 1 120ft rope at last rappel. More info here.
    06/06/15 - Zion - Telephone Canyon - Found Rope coiled and left on a ledge. More info here.
    06/13/15 - Zion - Behunin Canyon - Found Nalgene bottle after Rap 6. More info here.

HAPPY ENDING -archives-
    Beginning from 10/2014

10/08/14 - Zion - Englestead Hollow - Imlay 200ft' rope stuck on last rappel. More info here. Retrieved!!
    09/21/14 - Moab - Repeat Jr. - Imlay Canyon Gear: Kolob backpack with a lot of gear. $100 Reward. More info here. Found!! (by Non-Canyoneers).
    06/21/15 - Zion - Pine Creek - Found camera. More info here. Owner Found! (great effort by the Community, with a big thanks to @whansen)
    06/18/15 - Zion - Behunin - 200ft rope stuck on last rappel. More info here.
    07/06/15 - Arizona - Clear Creek - Found camera.More info here. Owner Found!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think this thread is a bad idea.... we have done really well at returning lost property by creating a post when something is lost and posting in the correct section. The best part is the post eventually rolls away never to be seen again when it is no longer useful.

This is the type of thread I never look at so if I come across your stuff you are wasting your time posting it here. I seldom look at stickys.

Why fix something that isn't broken?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

I think this thread is a bad idea.... we have done really well at returning lost property by creating a post when something is lost and posting in the correct section. The best part is the post eventually rolls away never to be seen again when it is no longer useful.

This is the type of thread I never look at so if I come across your stuff you are wasting your time posting it here. I seldom look at stickys.

Why fix something that isn't broken?

Interesting point. True, most items have returned and yes the thread disappears.

I'm for any ideas - just wanted to throw it out here.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Any way a list of lost items could be put on a sidebar on the Canyoneering forum page? Similar to the Super Amazing Map sidebar link. That way it is easy to see.

Simple table of Location Lost/Found, Item, Data. Remove from bar if found? List might get pretty big though

Just an idea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkteeth View Post
    Any way a list of lost items could be put on a sidebar on the Canyoneering forum page? Similar to the Super Amazing Map sidebar link. That way it is easy to see.

Simple table of Location Lost/Found, Item, Data. Remove from bar if found? List might get pretty big though

Just an idea
    That's something I didn't think of. Great suggestion. Thanks skunkteeth!
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

This is a tricky one. I was thinking it might be a good idea to group together the success stories. But as for pending lost items, the thread could get crowded with cross talk, more than several posts could be talking about the same object and location, and then others would get mixed and contaminate the thread a bit.

Here's something that might help; We could make a {LOST} prefix for a thread, just like the GEAR or TRIP REPORT prefixes. Then at any given time if you'd like to see all of the currently lost items, you could filter the forum by that prefix. The same for FOUND items.

So it would work just like this, but instead of CONDITIONS, it would be FOUND:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/forumdis...xid=Conditions

A reminder to filter the threads, click on the prefix and then you'll see only threads with that prefix.

Thoughts? Ideas?
    My only thought/idea is to recommend not losing stuff in canyons.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

9. Likes CanyonBarbie, Taylor, Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    My only thought/idea is to recommend not losing stuff in canyons.
    :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09/17/14 - Capitol Reef - Cottonwood Wash - Imlay Bagarino.

Rope bag left at the bottom of the first rappel.

Oh and I found a Gore-Tex jacket, but it was not in salvageable condition.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKPH View Post
    09/17/14 - Capitol Reef - Cottonwood Wash - Imlay Bagarino.

Rope bag left at the bottom of the first rappel.

Oh and I found a Gore-Tex jacket, but it was not in salvageable condition.
    Thanks! @TKPH I just updated the list above.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

So I left a 200' blue rope with chord and locking carabiner at the last rappel of Smokestack Canyon, Capitol Reef on Sunday, September 28th. $50 reward.

I lost my Gopro in Heaps canyon on 3/28/2015, we were about half way down when it deattached from my helmet.

We should call this section "Canyon Booty"

Our group traveled through Birch Hollow and into Orderville yesterday. Unfortunately an Imlay Bagarino and a 150 ft. section of canyon fire rope was left somewhere along the way. It came down with us on rap 11 in Birch, but was lost subsequent to that. Would appreciate a contact if anyone finds it.

Also...our group traveled through Keyhole on Wednesday June 21st in the afternoon and came across a collection of gear of various devices, ropes, prusik cords. I drug them out of the second section of Keyhole. If you or anyone you know lost some gear...please contact me.
    "...I edged over the lip of the stone and dropped feet first into the water." - C. Van Tilden

Quote Originally Posted by seb42 View Post
    Also...our group traveled through Keyhole on Wednesday June 21st in the afternoon and came across a collection of gear of various devices, ropes, prusik cords. I drug them out of the second section of Keyhole. If you or anyone you know lost some gear...please contact me.
    I'm guessing the gear you found in Keyhole that was partially buried in the sand might have belonged to the seven canyoneers that that were killed in the September 2015 flash flood. A recent rainstorm probably uncovered some of what had been buried.

FWIW - For the next 10 years after the boy scout tragedy in Kolob you would find gear as the sands shifted.

Thanks! I took another look at the last pic of the 7 and I think I can identify at least one identical biner. They were also carrying some VT Prusiks I believe and I recovered one of those. Certainly sobering if it is indeed what I found.Name:  19692425_10155012289357772_1862721052_n.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  46.2 KB
    "...I edged over the lip of the stone and dropped feet first into the water." - C. Van Tilden

19. Likes jman liked this post

YIKES! Those folks were found scattered all over in and below Keyhole . . .

I did Russell Gulch on 5/21/18 with my Dad and Son. It was great but I left my Canyon Werks small rope bag on the top of Rap #2. It’s yellow with the blue mesh on top. It has my initials on it but no Phone number. I’m willing to pay for shipping and $ for your efforts. Thanks 801-557-6238. Will be in Zion tell tomorrow afternoon. I filled out a lost and found paper at the Zion information desk before we left. Attached is a screen shot of a video were I didn’t see it before I rappel off.Name:  0BF39431-3DDF-462C-9EE1-A3A164C19507.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  25.2 KB

Lost a pair of prescription glasses/transitions sunglasses over the weekend running through Lucky Charms, in case somebody finds them