Thread: June zion trip, critique

June zion trip, critique

Headed to zion June 9, 1st day check-in and do keyhole and angels landing in the evening. 2nd day subway with Russell's gulch. 3rd day spry or possibly mystery canyon if we can get last minute drawing permit. Last day do pine creek before we head out.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Sounds good.

Tom

I'd combine keyhole and pinecreek. Your already in the area. Move angel's landing to last day.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jdt92065 View Post
    3rd day spry or possibly mystery canyon if we can get last minute drawing permit.
    I don't think much of Spry or Behunin. Day three I'd try for Mystery or Echo (which I think is the most underrated slot in the park).

Das Boot is a MUCH better Subway entrance than Russel Gulch. Time and skill level required are about the same.

YMMV

But we will get there about 1
    Concur with combining Keyhole and Pine Creek. Take you longer to re-park and ride the shuttle than to just finish Pine Creek.

You got, what, 8 hours of daylight? If the combination takes you more than 3 or 4 hours...well...then...maybe you'll miss happy hour?

But we will get there about 1
    If hitchhiking Pine Creek could be a problem. Other wise if you are efficient and have done both routes time should not be an issue.

Edit, Brian and I posted at same time, what he said.

[QUOTE=Iceaxe;557447]I don't think much of Spry or Behunin. Day three I'd try for Mystery or Echo (which I think is the most underrated slot in the park).

Agree that Echo is under rated, but I think the same for Spry. True- you're not going to get deep slots like Echo or Pine Creek but the canyon is spectacular, especially the initial bowl. And you get some longish raps, one free hanging.

How long will the approach to Echo be in June when the Weeping Rock trail is closed for repair?

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    How long will the approach to Echo be in June when the Weeping Rock trail is closed for repair?
    Depends on what day, etc. I think they are having it open on weekends...

But, anyway, can do it from the Stave Springs Trailhead, which is an hour hike down to the start, then an hour and a half hike back out, afterwards.

Depending on where and when the trail is closed, which you'd have to figure out at the time.

Tom

Does anyone know what the road conditions are to the Stave Spring Trailhead? 4wd? 2wd?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Does anyone know what the road conditions are to the Stave Spring Trailhead? 4wd? 2wd?
    A little bit hard to find. Follow the signs for "Cable Mountain", but there are a few options there, because they have added more roads since the maps were made.

Pretty much 2 WD when dry. The last 100 feet or so tends to require high clearance, but there are a couple parking spots off to the side for street cars.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  

15. Likes Scott P liked this post
    Headed to zion June 9, 1st day check-in and do keyhole and angels landing in the evening. 2nd day subway with Russell's gulch. 3rd day spry or possibly mystery canyon if we can get last minute drawing permit. Last day do pine creek before we head out.
    Looks good, just change the Das Boot entrance for Russell Gulch on Subway, or drop Russell gulch, take minimal gear and do Subway only. For 3rd day, consider Birch Hollow or Englestead through Orderville. Don't get me wrong, spry is awesome, but you are doing keyhole and pine creek, spry is literally a half mile from those and pretty short. Might be good to see more of the park instead of the same exact spot. Plus use a full day for adventuring. :)

But you have a great trip planned, well done.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I don't think we have enough rope for birch hollow

I don't think we have enough rope for birch hollow
    Birch hollow longest rap 100 feet.

Most people seem to skip the first rap which is about 110. I recommend taking the logging roads to hike in, which avoids the first rap altogether... but who listens to me...

If you have rope for Spry, you definitely have rope for Birch.

Tom

What about telephone canyon
    Telephone is OK. Not so special. Good in combo with Behunin = Telephunin.

Tom