Thread: Alcatraz: Solitude in the Roost

Alcatraz: Solitude in the Roost

Alcatraz on May 3rd. We were the only vehicle when we went in, and this is what we saw when we finished.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's funny....

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

4. Likes Kuya liked this post
    O wow! that is hilarious!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

So, if no one was around, how many of you would "borrow" (use it for the rappel) one of those ropes instead of setting up your own?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    So, if no one was around, how many of you would "borrow" (use it for the rappel) one of those ropes instead of setting up your own?
    I wouldn't. It would be, in my mind, kinda poor form to use a strangers rope. Plus, you would hopefully inspect the rope beforehand which would be just as much work as setting up the rap yourself.

I wouldn't
    I wouldn't either. With a few more vehicles though there isn't going to be room to set up many more rappels off your own bumper.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I'd slide someone elses rope after inspecting it and think nothing of it... I've done it before and I'll do it again. If you don't want me sliding your rope don't leave it hanging.

First thought through my mind when I looked at the picture is WTF is up with all the ropes.

10. Likes hikster11, Byron, Taylor, rockgremlin liked this post
    Fair enough, I just don't feel right putting wear and tear on someone else's rope who I don't know. To each his own.

Kevin

welcome to the new normal

I would have no problem seeing someone use my rope if I left it.

14. Likes Sandstone Addiction, Taylor liked this post
    Even with 5 groups (over 20 people?), we didn't bump into anyone in the canyon. We did have a nice chat afterwords with one of the groups.

@TNegent, thank you for letting us know the canyon had water (squeals coming from down canyon as we dropped in on our rope).

It was an awesome day in Alcatraz.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Rope sale down at the Toyota dealer.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

The Canyoneering Community, a very “tight” community.

Trying to imagine myself pulling up next to the four cars and ropes, getting out, peering over the edge and thinking "hmmmm, I should definitely rig a rappel right here"

Nope. After inspection I'm going down on one of the other ropes 10 times out of 10. In fact, my group of four is all getting on rappel at the same time.

I would use one of the ropes as well...and wouldn't mind at all if someone poached mine. This is kind of a unique situation, ya know? It appears that the days of having it all to yourself have come to an end, at least at certain times of the year. I wouldn't let "manners" stop me from going in if I couldn't find a spot to park. I let others use my ropes in Zion, and I've been offer theirs as well...always taking them up on it.

Just don't steal it, and it's all good. But I can understand how some would object to permission not being asked.

Heck, I'd certainly chum up with anyone I met there, perhaps make some new friends.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

20. Likes Taylor liked this post
    When we pulled up the night before, we must have seen 15 cars. Luckily a good chunk of them were doing Larrys.

If we had all used TNuget's rope, it would have been one big bottleneck. Yep, 5 ropes were about right

On the other hand, I think 5 more cars could have fit on rim.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato