Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kegs Vs Dry Bags

Kegs Vs Dry Bags

Just wanted to get your input on what you prefer Kegs or Dry Bags and if its Dry Bags which brand? I have never used a Keg but currently use 2 or 3 dry bags and I've had a few leak. This also brings me to another questions do you put your keg/ dry bag on the bottom or top of your pack, Just trying to see if maybe that could be why my bag may have leaked.

As always thanks,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I used two dry bags to protect my cell phone on a recent trip. My outer bag got a small hole in it and became useless. The other bag held it's own for the rest of the trip until the final long swim where water leaked in and killed my phone. Granted this was my own fault that I didn't properly seal the bag before the final swim. Needless to say I now have a Keg and use that for my electronics and my dry bags for things that wouldn't be the end of them if they got wet (clothes).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chanobelli View Post
    This also brings me to another questions do you put your keg/ dry bag on the bottom or top of your pack
    Placement should be at the top. Less likely to be punctured and higher up in the water; less water pressure means less chance of water making it's way in.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonexplorer View Post
    I used two dry bags to protect my cell phone on a recent trip. My outer bag got a small hole in it and became useless. The other bag held it's own for the rest of the trip until the final long swim where water leaked in and killed my phone. Granted this was my own fault that I didn't properly seal the bag before the final swim. Needless to say I now have a Keg and use that for my electronics and my dry bags for things that wouldn't be the end of them if they got wet (clothes).

Get in the habit of putting some sort of absorbent cloth in your keg, just prior to closing at the top.
    Then if you get a slight leak, your cloth will absorb it vs. more spendy things getting wet.

I like kegs in wide open, wet canyons, dry bags in tight wet canyons, ymmv.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Get in the habit of putting some sort of absorbent cloth in your keg, just prior to closing at the top.
    Then if you get a slight leak, your cloth will absorb it vs. more spendy things getting wet.
    ^^^This is good advice^^^

I'm a dry bag guy. I only use SealLine Black Canyon Dry Bags, they cost 2 or 3 times what the cheap dry bags cost but they are pretty much indestructible. I have some that are 10 years old and been through hundreds of canyons and finally had my first leak, I knew it was time to replace them but was to cheap.

I tried kegs for a while but I hate them. I've seen the lids on kegs split several different times. Kegs wear holes in your pack where they slide against the rock, and kegs don't squeeze down when needed to get your pack through the skinnies.

I usually place a bandana at the top of my dry bag.

YMMV

I have both and both work for me. Kegs aren't for tight canyons though; you will rip apart your pack. A good drybag shouldn't leak. Don't get those cheap low quality ones.

PS, why would you want to take a cell phone through a canyon?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I take my cell phone, wallet and keys with me if I'm spotting a car and know I won't get back to it for a while - ie a canyon in Zion that started out east and ended in the Narrows. It was nice to have my cell so I could check in with my emer contact and my wallet so I could pay for my dinner... and everyone else who forgot theirs. I have a small pelican case that goes in the top of my bag that works well.

I like the a keg because I bring a lot of food and got tired of it all getting smashed together. Of course an easy fix for that is to not bring bananas and sandwiches. My bag has taken an extra beating from having a keg, though. I still carry a dry bag to keep closes dry that I have taken off.

Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Never had a Keg leak on me but need to keep an eye on the o ring and make sure you screw the lid on very tight. Keep at top.

Can't think of a good reason to ever bring keys with you, leave em at the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    PS, why would you want to take a cell phone through a canyon?
    So make a phone call...and, in case that phone call is for an emergency.

Edit to add:

Also, my cell phone takes great photo's...and...when I get a cell signal, I can immediately update my status on Facebook. Ha!

Has anyone used the dry bags that have a valve in them so you can push out the excess air in them?

12. Likes hank moon liked this post
    Has anyone used the dry bags that have a valve in them so you can push out the excess air in them?
    I have used the Vargo bags with the valve that Tom sells on his website. The valve feature is nice, but I found that the material the bags are made of is fairly weak and punctures easily. I had to retire the bag much earlier than other bags.

Im with Ice, the Black Canyon drybags are bomber.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAdam View Post
    I have used the Vargo bags with the valve that Tom sells on his website. The valve feature is nice, but I found that the material the bags are made of is fairly weak and punctures easily. I had to retire the bag much earlier than other bags.

Im with Ice, the Black Canyon drybags are bomber.
    Thanks for the advice.

After losing my truck key on a trail a few years ago ($300 mistake), they always stay in the bumper now. Last thing everyone hears when we start hiking: "If I die in the canyon today, here is where you find the keys..."

16. Likes mzamp liked this post
    Blog Entries

Kegs Vs Dry Bags

Hmm...free cars with free keys in the bumpers....sweet!! I'll remember for that next time...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

18. Likes Taylor liked this post
    I do the same thing with my keys when I go shore diving. Lock the keys in the trunk and carry a simple key (no chip) that only opens the trunk/doors. Locksmith can make one for $10.

Everything else goes in a dry bag, double bag for cell phone/wallet, but a pelican case is tempting.

Not leaving keys to an Audi A6 at the car....I'm taking them with me....

I don't care which my cars or trucks we take. They will always stay at car, hidden somewhere on or near the car. If you really want any of my vehicles then take them. It's just a car and I can get another one

Pay a little extra for a nice drybag and they last significantly longer.

I've had great experience with the Sealine black canyon bags.

For things that need crush resistance, pelican micro cases IN the drybag.

LNT

Just push the air out well before you seal it. You don't want too much negative pressure in the bag. Any net negative pressure will help water find it's way in. A little air left in the bag offers a little insurance.

LNT

Leave the keys hidden at the ride. Then if you don't make it back everyone else in your group has a chance.