Thread: Easter Week Hiking in Moab Area - Day 3 In Arches

Easter Week Hiking in Moab Area - Day 3 In Arches

Tuesday, April 15 Arches and Tunnels

We spent the morning off the beaten path, finding solitude in the hike up Courthouse Wash to The Tunnel and Ring Arch. The only people we saw all morning were a couple rangers with backpack sprayers getting ready to hike down the wash to work on eradicating some non-native grass thought to have hitch-hiked to Arches on the boots of a climber from Zion. This is an easy hike, following an initially well-defined trail up the wash, with expansive views of the sandstone walls and pillars in the area. After reaching the turn to the Tunnel, the trail continues up a narrower wash between sand/sandstone walls. After a while the trail climbs out of the wash and up onto an expanse of slickrock; if you reach the bottom of a dryfall in the wash, backtrack a little and find the trail out of the wash to the right. Returning to the wash above the dryfall takes you right to the sandstone wall where the tunnel is located.

Start of Courthouse Wash Trail
    Name:  Tu01 Courthouse wash trailhead.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  42.8 KB
    Slickrock in the Tunnel side canyon
    Name:  Tu02 up side canyon towards the Tunnel.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  52.3 KB
    South entrance to the Tunnel
    Name:  Tu03 south tunnel entrance.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  56.6 KB

Both ends of The Tunnel require a short scramble up some fairly steep slickrock. The north entrance is a little easier scramble, but the bottom of the slope below you is a 15 or 20' drop into the wash, so the girls were more comfortable with the south entrance. Good shoes were needed to get up to this entrance, as loose sand on the slickrock made it somewhat difficult to climb. I had to use a short rope to help up a daughter whose shoes were not adequate to the task. My oldest again showed her budding climbing skills by finding her way up and into the entrance by herself, then helped the rest of us up. The Tunnel itself is just that - a short tunnel through the sandstone wall, that you climb through, play around in a little, then hop out of. But we really had fun here, not because it is such an awe-inspiring sight where the masses trod, but rather a quiet little adventure, with just enough excitement to keep it fun. A little scrambling, a little climbing, an interesting little tunnel, and quiet views of a relatively little-visited area of the park.

The scramble up to the south entrance to the Tunnel
    Name:  Tu04 scramble to tunnel entrance.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  35.2 KB
    Inside the tunnel
    Name:  Tu05 Inside the tunnel.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  16.5 KB
    The girls having fun inside the tunnel
    Name:  Tu06 girls inside tunnel.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  32.9 KB

Returning to the main wash we continued along poorly defined trails to the turn-off to Ring Arch. Nothing remarkable about the trail, but it is a pretty arch and worth the visit in combination with The Tunnel.

Approaching Ring Arch after leaving the side wash
    Name:  Tu07approaching ring arch.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  49.1 KB
    Ring Arch
    Name:  Tu08 ring arch.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  76.7 KB
    Interesting looking arch in the side of a tower on the way back from Ring Arch
    Name:  Tu09 Hole in fin courthouse wash.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  52.8 KB

After lunch near Balanced Rock, we headed to the Windows section and pulled off the road to explore the Cove of Caves. Again, we found solitude just a short distance away from the crowds at the end of the road. Making the circuit of the cove on the slickrock rim below the caves brings you behind Double Arch, around underneath the caves in the wall, and to the back of Cove Arch, which is visible but difficult to see as an arch from the road. A fun little diversion.

The Cove of Caves
    Name:  Tu10 cove of caves.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  86.8 KB
    Backside of Double Arch
    Name:  Tu11 backside of double arch.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  56.0 KB
    Backside of Cove Arch
    Name:  Tu12 back side of cove arch.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  131.0 KB
    Ripples exposed in a layer of sandstone
    Name:  Tu13 ripples in sandstone.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  54.9 KB

Forgoing solitude, we next made the trek to Delicate Arch, which I was determined to do this trip since I had never gotten around to doing it on my previous trips to Arches. It was a more interesting trail than I had imagined, and definitely worth the trip.

Delicate Arch trail
    Name:  Tu14 delicate arch trail.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  59.0 KB
    Arch in the canyon wall behind Delicate Arch
    Name:  Tu15 arch just north of delicate arch.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  38.4 KB
    Delicate Arch
    Name:  Tu16 delicate arch.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  47.5 KB

After dinner in Moab, I returned to the Windows section with my youngest hoping for some cool sunset views. It seemed there were people with tripods and big fancy cameras on every turnout, and I realized this must be the photographers equivalent of the Salmonfly hatch on the Madison River for fly-fishermen. Sadly, the sun dropped behind a bank of clouds on the western horizon just before setting, which dampened the sunset colors, but I got to hike around to the Windows with my daughter, which was the real purpose of being here anyway.

Delicate Arch from the Garden of Eden viewpoint
    Name:  Tu17 delicate arch from garden of eden.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  59.4 KB
    Sun through Turret Arch
    Name:  Tu18 sun through turret arch.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  29.7 KB

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction, Udink liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement