Thread: New Ropes

New Ropes

Just curious how if at all you break in a new canyoneering rope. I have purchased two different brands of canyoneering ropes this past year and gotten two totally different feels as is one is like a limp noodle & the other every stiff and just curious if anyone has a great way to loosen up the stiff rope other than just using it?

Thanks for help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Recent discussion on this subject found here : http://canyoncollective.com/index.ph...results.19362/

LNT

The short answer is just use the rope. But I also noticed Tom recommends soaking static rope in water and letting it dry about three times before using it as it tightens the sheath to the core, preventing sheath slippage and generally setting up the rope for best performance.

And just a heads-up - the first couple of times you use a new rope it is usually really fast (slippery) until it breaks in so dial in a little extra friction the first couple of raps.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The short answer is just use the rope. But I also noticed Tom recommends soaking static rope in water and letting it dry about three times before using it as it tightens the sheath to the core, preventing sheath slippage and generally setting up the rope for best performance.

And just a heads-up - the first couple of times you use a new rope it is usually really fast (slippery) until it breaks in so dial in a little extra friction the first couple of raps.
    Yes, and...

Different brands and constructions tend to break in differently.

Wetting and drying will tighten up the sheath, which tends to be good. But it will make the rope stiffer until it has had a few rappels on it.

My Imlay ropes tend to be stiff when new and soften up a bit with use. I think they have less of a difference between brand new and somewhat used (as far as speed goes).

People tend to think that the ropes they have used in the past are "right", and any rope that is different is "wrong". Probably not so - ropes can be "different" and all be "right".

Tom

Note: new rope often kinks or twists on the first X rappels. X is minimized by doing full-rope-length rappels on the new rope. After 10 or so of those, the kinks should be worked out.

Thanks for all your info sounds like I'll be setting up a few raps before I take it to the canyons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Yes, and...

Wetting and drying will tighten up the sheath, which tends to be good. But it will make the rope stiffer until it has had a few rappels on it.

My Imlay ropes tend to be stiff when new and soften up a bit with use. I think they have less of a difference between brand new and somewhat used (as far as speed goes).

People tend to think that the ropes they have used in the past are "right", and any rope that is different is "wrong". Probably not so - ropes can be "different" and all be "right".

Tom
    I feel my ropes are about the same stiffness or maybe even stiffer from when they were new. I think maybe the tightening offsets the breaking in. Also, the only thing I do to break in a new rope is use it as IceAxe said. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Yes, and...

Tom
    As far as using the rope to "break it in" is it best to continually use the same side as the top (Planning on doing single raps in my warehouse) or better to swap them periodically?

Quote Originally Posted by Chanobelli View Post
    As far as using the rope to "break it in" is it best to continually use the same side as the top (Planning on doing single raps in my warehouse) or better to swap them periodically?
    I think it's best to not over think things.

It's a rope.

LNT

11. Likes Taylor liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanobelli View Post
    Good point. Back and forth would be best. Doing many rappels from the same position tends to smoosh the sheath downward in one direction. Better to do a soak and dry a couple time first.

Tom