Thread: Easter Week Hiking in Moab Area - Day 1 and 2

Easter Week Hiking in Moab Area - Day 1 and 2

Been planning this trip with my three daughters for some time; many thanks to Shane and his website for the great info on many of the hikes we did this week. Yea, it was Jeep week, but we were still able to find a lot of solitude.

Sunday, April 13 Dino Tracks and Bones

Stopped at the Copper Ridge Dinosaur Trackway on the way into Moab. Cool little site for a quick stop. Hard to find all the tracks the map shows are there, but the big ones are pretty obvious.
    Name:  Sunday01 Copper Ridge Dino tracks.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  136.6 KB
    Nearby are some fun rocks to climb on, including a great "pride rock" for posing.
    Name:  Sunday02 Copper Ridge  Pride Rock.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  65.3 KB
    A little further down the road we turned off to visit the Mill Canyon Dinosaur Trail. A neat little trail to get up close to dinosaur bones in the wild.
    Name:  Sunday03 Mill Canyon Dino Bones.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  106.1 KB
    Pretty view down Mill Canyon from the dino trail
    Name:  Sunday04 Mill Canyon Viiew.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  79.9 KB
    As we got to the end of the trail, the butte above was calling to us, so we scrambled up the north side.
    Name:  Sunday05 Route up Butte at Mill Canyon.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  40.9 KB
    It was steep, but not difficult, and there were a couple obvious routes to the top.
    Name:  Sunday05a steep and fun.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  63.9 KB
    Great views back into Arches NP and of the surrounding buttes.
    Name:  Sunday06 Top of Butte at Mill Canyon.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  61.5 KB
    And a lot of fun just wandering and climbing around the slickrock and fissures. But it was windy and we were hungry, so we soon found our way back down and headed into Moab.
    Name:  Sunday07 Cracks on top of mill canyon butte.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  140.1 KB

Monday, April 14 Petroglyphs, Arches, and Ruins

We started the morning heading to the Owl Panel, and made it to the trailhead before the Jeeps started up the trail. This was a great little hike, awesome petroglyph panel, and wonderful views. Just pay attention to Shane's directions. Shortly after leaving the jeep trail, you see this pretty little alcove where the trail climbs up to the upper bench. We missed that and followed what looked like the trail to the right along the lower bench. Oops!
    Name:  Monday01 Right Path to Owl Panel.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  80.4 KB
    I remembered the panel was somewhere near the blind arch in the wall, so we ended up scrambling up the boulders directly below the arch.
    Name:  Monday02 Wrong Path to Owl Panel.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  100.8 KB
    The girls went off exploring to the right of the arch (which is really big when you get right next to it), and I noticed a circular pictograph painted in the left side of the arch. But where was the owl?
    Name:  Monday03 where is that owl panel.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  91.8 KB
    Then I remembered the map with the picture and the route lined out on it that was folded up in my pocket. Duh! Open the map, there's the route we were supposed to take. So look to the left - there's the owl!
    Name:  Monday04 Look at the picture dummy.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  106.5 KB
    The owl panel was really nice, one of the best we saw this week. A great place to sit and enjoy the view. And we got to watch as the long line of Jeeps started their way along the trail.
    Name:  Monday06 Owl Panel.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  104.5 KB
    Other petroglyphs along the wall towards the arch.
    Name:  Monday05 PG near owl panel and arch.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  80.6 KB
    On the way out, we followed the real trail back, and found this boulder with a couple nice animal figures and some interesting lines just past where the trail drops down from the upper ledge (to the left if you were headed up the trail)
    Name:  Monday07 Petro near owl panel.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  109.5 KB
    After a quick stop at the Birthing Scene, we continued up Kane Creek Road to visit Funnel Arch. An easy climb leads to this dryfall, which is pretty easy to scramble up until the last crack before the top.
    Name:  Monday08 Dryfall climb to funnel arch.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  151.7 KB
    The last crack is a little intimidating for amateurs, and two of my daughters decided to stay below. It probably wouldn't be so bad if it were at ground level, but it is at the top of a dryfall, which leaves you quite a ways to fall. My oldest and most adventurous found handholds and climbed the crack and guided me up.
    Name:  Monday09 Last crack to climb.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  142.9 KB
    The rest of the way to Funnel Arch was fairly simple, and the arch was cool more for its location and how you get there. Go past the arch to the edge of the cliff, though, and you get a great view across Kane Creek Canyon, to the arch by the Owl Panel, and beyond to the Colorado River.
    Name:  Monday10 View from top near funnel arch.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  58.4 KB
    I was a little concerned about going back down the crack and got out a rope, more for moral support. It ended up being easier going down, except for the view of how far you would fall. Having done it once, a repeat trip would be much easier; however, the less adventurous should probably pass on this hike.
    Name:  Monday11 Funnel Arch Crack.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  144.7 KB
    Headed next to Corona Arch, one of my favorite hikes in the area that gives you a lot of bang for a little bit of effort. But first we stopped at the Potash Road dino tracks, which I had passed up on previous trips.
    Name:  Monday12 Potash Road Dino Tracks.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  84.2 KB
    Lots of petroglyphs along the base of the cliff.
    Name:  Monday13 Potash Road PG.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  91.2 KB
    And even a little arch up the side canyon (anyone know if it is named?)
    Name:  Monday14 Arch up canyon from Potash PG.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  123.0 KB
    OK, now to Corona Arch. Not a trail for solitude, but a chance to visit with other people and share your amazement at the beauty that surrounds you. Along the trail to Corona Arch, a cool-looking cairn graveyard had been created since my last visit.
    Name:  Monday15 Corona Cairn graveyard.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  80.7 KB
    I just love this view of Bowtie and Corona Arch! I even had a picture of this view from a previous trip printed on my ATM card.
    Name:  Monday16 Corona Arch.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  50.6 KB
    The backside of the base of Corona Arch had some great reflected light and interesting colors.
    Name:  Monday17 Reflected light on Corona Arch.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  43.0 KB
    After Corona, it was off to False Kiva, hopefully to get there before the shadows invaded the alcove. This was really a nice hike. After crossing through the juniper forest on top of the mesa and bypassing the dryfall, the wall of the alcove containing False Kiva appears.
    Name:  Monday18 Approaching Drop into False Kiva.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  102.9 KB
    The trail drops down and crosses the cliff below the alcove, never too steeply, and the ledge is never uncomfortably narrow. The colors in the alcove wall were beautiful as we crossed below False Kiva.
    Name:  Monday19 Great color in False Kiva alcove.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  143.0 KB
    We had passed one group of people on our way in, but no one else was around and we had the place all to ourselves. Silent. Awe inspiring. Easy to see why it would be a sacred place.
    Name:  Monday20 False Kiva iconic view.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  56.0 KB
    The girls scrambling down the trail show the scale of the large alcove where False Kiva is found.
    Name:  Monday21 Scale of False Kiva alcove.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  84.7 KB
    We finished the busy day with a stop to see the Intestine Man and TV Sheep panels just off the road on the way back to the main highway, Great, quick stop, though late evening is not good light for pictures. Back in Moab we found our way to Paradox Pizza, which capped off a perfect day.
    Last edited by pigburner; 05-03-2014 at 01:20 AM. Reason: get rid of extra picture

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice trip.