Thread: Iceland - march 2014

Rookie
    WEybridge in leafy Surrey about 30 minutes outside of London

Iceland - march 2014

OK, admit that this post is not relevant to the US South West, but I suspect its an area of the world that a lot of you adventurous sorts would like to get to...

I have shared some of my US SouthWEst shots with the forum over the years, so thought it pertinent to share these ones of a recent trip to Iceland too... https://www.flickr.com/photos/dezzou...7642307877435/

basic requirement at this time of year is a 4wd with studded tyres... The roads are often very icy and if you are offroading in Iceland you are really offoading!

If you look through the photos the general conditions will look pretty good... The reality was that the weather was generally around freezing and alarmingly often with associated wind speeds of between 50mph and 70mph... Tough photographic environment... But oh so rewarding!

So many people here looking for the Northern Lights... Probably easier parts of the world to see them, it is VERY cloudy here in general... Requires a very good camera to get best results... we were there for 9 days and got about about 45 minutes of Northern Lights...

I suspect that the ice cave photos will be enjoyed by the forum.... Incredible blue colours and amazing to be residing under one of the world great glaciers for just over an hour...

In summary,dress warmly, dress for lots of rain, dont skimp on car hire ( its treachorous driving conditions ), and if you ae chasing the light for good photos stay as long as you can...

It was an amazing experience, but it did get me longing to come back to the South West which I will be doing in 2015!!

Hope you enjoy... Any questions on these pics, give me a shout!!

Des

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Excellent! I loved the ice on the black beach.
    Life is Good

Very 'cool'. I expect Iceland is on about every photographer's list and it's easy to see why. Thanks.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light