Thread: Halls Creek Narrows (south Capitol Reef NP)...& perhaps some Needles/Behind the Rocks

Halls Creek Narrows (south Capitol Reef NP)...& perhaps some Needles/Behind the Rocks

(apologies if you've seen this on hiking forum, it sort of qualifies as both)
    Would anyone like to join myself and another UK hiker doing Halls Creek Narrows in Capitol Reef NP in September. It's supposed to be a very deep and spectacular canyon with views from the rim into it as you loop back after hiking the bottom.

It would be really good to link up with a regular "desert hiker/climber" as we're a little concerned our rental low clearance economy car, which will be on paved road the rest of the vacation, may have trouble on the Notom Bullfrog unpaved road - although I did do that road about 15 years ago in a rental car. However this time I'll also have to get down spur roads off it of a few miles to the trailheads which may cause us trouble. We'd happily pay someone's gas from Moab, Blanding or Halls Creek if they had a vehicle more suitable.

The other thing is that we are both pretty fit hikers/scramblers but have no rockclimbing experience on exposed sections or in using handlines so we were going to play safe and take the long route from the main trailhead rather than risk the shortcut route and get stuck going down or worse coming up.
    However the long route would require 2 days of our limited vacation time and carrying heavier packs further so we'd much rather make it a day trip via the shortcut route if we were with someone confident of ensuring the occasional short steep pitches weren't much of a problem. The shortcut route may also be along a worse approach road thought for a rental car.

If someone needed a night's accommodation in Moab or elsewhere en route to travel together we'd be happy to cover that cost for them in return for the added security that we wouldn't face any snags to the trip. We'd drive there on Sept 26 and if we did the shortcut route it would be Sept 27. If we did the long overnight route, hopefully make a start the 26th, but if we go there late it would have to be the 27th, and we'd either make it back to the TH on the 27th or 28th. (if you wanted to make it a longer visit to that part of Utah for a few days aftewards we plan to hike in The Needles - Druid Arch & Peekaboo canyon - and near Moab - Amasa Back Trail/Poison Spider Mesa/Behind the Rocks).

Thanks, Ross

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I am interested but can't plan that far ahead yet due to work. But keep in touch ! Also, on my list of a place to hike and I live in the area and have a 4x4 truck, etc.

Hi Walkthetaco,
    Sorry I may still be a bit early for you to know yet, but I'm away from this weekend for 3 weeks & that Halls Creek plan will only be a few weeks away when I get back. So I wondered if you knew your work schedule by any chance yet? If not, try and get the dates off and keep in touch. A couple of others have expressed interest, but one works as a guide so may be busy that day.

ANY OTHER TAKERS OUT THERE FOR HALLS CREEK AS IT'S NOT SO FAR OFF NOW ?

Myself and my friend have reserved the Prospector Motor Lodge in Blanding on the night of 25th to try for an early drive to Halls Creek on the 26th to do the hike over one day, but probably 2 (certainly 2 if it's not the shortcut route).

Regards, Ross

Has anyone been through Halls Creek in the last week or two and knows the water situation in the pools and if they're swimmers or not. I'm planning on going Sept 26, but don't intend taking a wetsuit! (I know it can change in the next 2 weeks)

Walkthetaco, I've sent you a private message about you hopefully being available to join us

Hello ! I will send you a message, but looks like I have to work. However, try contacting Captiol Reef National Park for latest water/pools in Halls Creek.
    phone: (435) 425-3791

Email: http://www.nps.gov/care/contacts.htm