Thread: Spry Approach

Spry Approach

I'm currently planning a trip for may through a few canyons in the Zion area and spry is on my list. Having never done it before I am just curious as to how long the approach takes on average. We have a group of 5, none of which are super hikers by any means; most are physically fit. Any info on roughly how long its taken you guys to get to the first rappel would be great just so i can keep somewhat of an idea if were on pace.

Thanks as always

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

His question was about the approach though and how to tell if they are on pace. I've hiked to Spry entrance only twice but I'm thinking it was an hour to the pass? Your time to there is probably limited by the aerobic fitness of the group. From that point on it's more just time spent rapping and down climbing which isn't really an aerobic activity.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar
    Thinking back to the last couple of times Maarten and I went through Spry, probably 1h15-1h30 to the first rap (then again, we usually do a late start and have a quick lunch at the pass). The ascent up out of upper Pine Creek is reasonably unrelenting and 4th class steep on a few occasions. Make sure all of your party have appropriately sticky footwear in which they are confident to hike up steep slickrock passages. And have fun... Spry is a great day out :-)

Blog Entries

Spry Approach

It took our group of 5, our very first time last year, a little over an hour to reach the summit, and about another 15mins to the first rappel after that.

About 10mins was spent looking at the rockart on the way too.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    His question was about the approach though and how to tell if they are on pace. I've hiked to Spry entrance only twice but I'm thinking it was an hour to the pass? Your time to there is probably limited by the aerobic fitness of the group. From that point on it's more just time spent rapping and down climbing which isn't really an aerobic activity.
    As I recall--you probably hit the saddle in a 1/2 hour, then waited 1/2 hour for me to catch up.

I always figure 1-1 1/2 hr. to saddle.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    As I recall--you probably hit the saddle in a 1/2 hour, then waited 1/2 hour for me to catch up.

I always figure 1-1 1/2 hr. to saddle.
    I don't remember waiting, but I do remember having an outstanding day meeting my first Bogley peeps! The last time I did it I was chasing Bo up that pass and then Mountain of the Sun, so what goes around comes around.

Coincidentally, I just snagged a Spry permit for June when I'm next out in Z-land. Looking forward to doing it again.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Blog Entries
    So speaking of Spry, do you guys prefer the normal route or the alternate approach route (as mentioned by Luke)?

He mentions that both are the same length and vary slightly more in elevation. The alternate route looks a bit steeper from G.E.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Without a question the normal for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info i'll plan for 1h30 to figure we are roughly on track to finish in that 5-6 hour range. Anything special i need to be aware of other than not to stick any ropes considering the rope grooves?

Anything special i need to be aware of other than not to stick any ropes considering the rope grooves?
    Not really, other than I wouldn't worry too much about being on track for time. Spry is short enough that it should be easy to do in a day for anyone who is moderately experienced. Unless you are really pressed for time for some reason, just go at your own pace, whatever that may be.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Not really, other than I wouldn't worry too much about being on track for time. Spry is short enough that it should be easy to do in a day for anyone who is moderately experienced. Unless you are really pressed for time for some reason, just go at your own pace, whatever that may be.
    What he said.

Also, making good time on the approach and making good time in the canyon require different skill sets.

Tom