Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rope Lengths

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidTraveler View Post
    Iceaxe, what do you use to mark your ropes? I've always been hesitant to mark my ropes with anything. Possibly a holdover from my climbing days and urban wisdom, er. legend..
    Scare tactics so you will buy the expensive rope markers.

I just use a large Sharpie. I mark a section of rope about 6" long all the way around the rope. If you don't mark a large section it becomes almost impossible to see after a dozen canyons. I've marked literally hundreds of canyon and climbing ropes this way and never seen an issue. My ropes usually have 3 marks which sections the rope into quarters.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Do you find that different rope constructions and or materials effect the amount of, ahem... Shrinkage?

LNT
    Yes.

The problem is, there is no 'standard' test for rope shrinkage, so it is very hard to quantify, thus it comes down to anecdotal evidence.

And, as we all know, the plural of anecdote is not data.

So I THINK that my polyester, hard-woven ropes shrink less than other models, but still...

One should expect 10% shrinkage over time. What time? Uh, well, one canyon to 40 canyons, somewhere in there. And it might shrink more.

Conclusion: measure your ropes from time to time. I remember pulling out a 300 foot rope from my closet for a Heaps trip, and deciding to measure it just to be sure... 275 feet, or, just long enough to be BIG BIG trouble. Good thing I checked.

The rap in Waterholes Canyon is an especially evil one, as it is 302 feet. If your rope is a few feet short, you could have a bad day.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidTraveler View Post
    Icescrew, what do you use to mark your ropes? I've always been hesitant to mark my ropes with anything. Possibly a holdover from my climbing days and urban wisdom, er. legend..
    Scare tactics so you will buy the expensive rope markers.

Unlike The Axe, I prefer to use methods where marking the rope is irrelevant. Why do you need to mark the middle of the rope? Two accidents recently because people used a method that involved marking the middle of their rope - that did not work. Hospital.

Tom aka The Screw

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Unlike The Axe, I prefer to use methods where marking the rope is irrelevant. Why do you need to mark the middle of the rope?
    I mark my rope in quarters, which makes it extremely easy to measure the length of a rappel accurately..... which is probably why the rappel length's in my beta has historically been more accurate then Tom's.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I mark my rope in quarters, which makes it extremely easy to measure the length of a rappel accurately..... which is probably why the rappel length's in my beta has historically been more accurate then Tom's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Do you find that different rope constructions and or materials effect the amount of, ahem... Shrinkage?
    Usually I roll my eyes at your posts. I've got to hand it to you on this one. Hilarious!

...and I wouldn't expect to get to use that icon on a thread titled "Rope Lengths".
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"