Thread: How long is the first rap in Spry, REALLY?

How long is the first rap in Spry, REALLY?

I have a trip planned end of May and I've seen reports of the first rap being anywhere from 165' to 190'. If it's 165' like Tom says (which I trust, I'm just double checking for paranoia's sake) then I'm fine. If it's 190' like BluuGnome reports, I'm going to need another pull cord.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yjenerator View Post
    I have a trip planned end of May and I've seen reports of the first rap being anywhere from 165' to 190'. If it's 165' like Tom says (which I trust, I'm just double checking for paranoia's sake) then I'm fine. If it's 190' like BluuGnome reports, I'm going to need another pull cord.
    Measured it carefully on a recent trip.

While the actual rappel is about 150 feet, it would be very difficult to pull using a total of 300 feet of rope, so 165' is a good measurement of the actual length of rope required to do it without swimming in the pool.

Tom

4. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    Awesome. Thanks Tom!

Did Spry today with TJ. Used my rope with 50' measurements. I think Tom was dead on at 165'. Awesome canyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear it! I'm very much looking forward to it. Hoping it doesn't scare the fiance away from canyoneering!

Glad to hear it! I'm very much looking forward to it. Hoping it doesn't scare the fiance away from canyoneering!
    Wetsuits???

The best spots in Spry are wet. Many do not bring wetsuits and then are not psyched to do them, when cold. Like now.

Tom

That one isn't straight down so even though its long its not that scary. As far as wetsuits go, there is a report on candition.com from 2 days ago saying that water levels are way down in Spry, so its a toss up on bringing them. If you do encounter water though it will be really chilly this time of year so if you've wetsuits bring them for sure, if you have to rent them then I would say it depends on your cold tolerance and whether you want to spend the money for something you may not need.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    That one isn't straight down so even though its long its not that scary. As far as wetsuits go, there is a report on candition.com from 2 days ago saying that water levels are way down in Spry, so its a toss up on bringing them. If you do encounter water though it will be really chilly this time of year so if you've wetsuits bring them for sure, if you have to rent them then I would say it depends on your cold tolerance and whether you want to spend the money for something you may not need.
    It rained 1/2" yesterday.

Jus' sayin'

Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Wetsuits???

The best spots in Spry are wet. Many do not bring wetsuits and then are not psyched to do them, when cold. Like now.

Tom
    I agree. They are one of the highlights of the trip (for me).

Here's 2 pics for fun.

Name:  IMG_4082.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  34.0 KB

And if you are above 6 feet and above - you may be able to stem it. Otherwise it was chest deep for us.

Name:  IMG_4083.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  46.8 KB
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

12. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    It rained 1/2" yesterday.

Jus' sayin'

Tom
    Well that just makes me look stupid. Its amazing how much 1/2" of rain can fill up a canyon if it gets dropped in the right spot.