Thread: Hiking & Exploring Utah's San Rafael Swell -- 4th Edition -- Michael R Kelsey

Hiking & Exploring Utah's San Rafael Swell -- 4th Edition -- Michael R Kelsey

I've been looking forward to this one for a while now...

I've only just begun to read it, but so far I've been impressed with the color pics and the expanded history Mike has included in this edition.

Name:  DSCF3293%u00252520%u002525281024x768%u00252529.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  65.4 KB

http://kelseyguidebooks.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Explori...michael+kelsey

The all-new 4th Edition has 352 pages, 410 mostly-color photos.

It covers the same areas as previous editions, but with lots of updates, plus half a dozen completely new hiking regions are included. Lots of new history added too. One is a hike, or drive if the 4WD road it s too bad, to and area where in 1943, a US Army Air Force plane went down which happens to be in a very scenic place.

Also discussed are a couple of shoot-outs: one being the killing of Shoot- Em-Bill Hatfield, of Hatfield & McCoy s fame, along with new history of the San Rafael Ranches, the old mail trail running between Green River and Hanksville, plus more.

It also has the story of the 2 young sheepherders who shot Sheriff Burns in 1894 in the mountains east of Castle Valley, but escaped to the East Desert and McCarty Canyon where they had a shootout with other marshals. Those marshals were guided by Sid & Rod Swasey. Those 2 sheepherders, who were just boys, escaped and lived their lives elsewhere but no one knows where they went, or under what new names they likely used. If their kinfolk know, they aren't talking!

Also in this edition is an updated history of the Swasey family and their adventures in the San Rafael region. All that research is the reason this book is a little late coming out. Also, new to this edition are lots more hikes to rock art sites.

2. Likes Mountaineer, Byron liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kelsey is the man!!! I know there are some that like to bust his chops about various things, but I'm certainly not one of them.

Buying his Canyon Hiking Guide back in the late 80s was pivotal for me. It seems like a while since his last updated book...maybe he's slowing down a bit? Anyway, I'll certainly be buying it.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

He truly is an amazing and fascinating person. Sad that some feel like they have to "bust his chops".

I don't think he's slowing down much. He did release the new edition Robbers Roost and Utah Mountaineering books a few years ago and also the Canyonlands book last year.

He did say that this year he'll be devoting his efforts to working on his family history, which most likely will be expanding and revising his Clear Lake book. He also mentioned doing some stuff at Lake Powell, so maybe a new edition of that in the future?

My sister handed me my first Kelsey book back in the mid 90's. It was a 1st edition Lake Powell Guidebook and that book is literally shredded from many trips to the lake. But I still treasure it.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Buying his Canyon Hiking Guide back in the late 80s was pivotal for me.
    x2 - My addition 1 has seen better days.

I received my San Rafael Swell Ed4 last week and will be using it tomorrow as we will be heading out in a few hours. Saturday weather isn't looking good. Maybe a down day at goblin state park. But at least Friday and Sunday look great!

I received a copy last week.

No one packs more info into a book than MK. I believe I have all his books, most in multiple editions.

FWIW: Kelsey releases or updates at least one book each year and the book is always released in the spring. MK has been slowing down a little, I know he had some health issues a while back. I doubt we'll ever see another technical book from him unless it's just an update. I believe his years of suddenly dumping a dozen new canyoneering routes on the public are finished.

Kelsey releases or updates at least one book each year and the book is always released in the spring. MK has been slowing down a little, I know he had some health issues a while back. I doubt we'll ever see another technical book from him unless it's just an update. I believe his years of suddenly dumping a dozen new canyoneering routes on the public are finished.
    More:

Kelsey is working on history (especially family history) books instead of guidebooks. He is planning on updating the Timpanogos guidebook. From what he told me last time, it doesn't sound like he is working on other guidebooks, at least not at this time.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

As for Kelsey: I have to give him credit, He's certainly done his homework. Hell, he's done everyone else's homework too. The only issue is reading his maps is frequently like interpreting a foreign language. "Kels-ynian"
    canyon to the face??? CANYON TO THE FACE!!!!

To answer one question, I don't think I'm slowing down that much but age--mostly stiffness--are slowly creeping into my life. I'm 71 now, and I'm slowly loosing the desire to do X Slots!--other than that everything is about the same. But, I just have to get this family history book finished while I have a little free time. Next will be the Lake Powell book, then the Paria guide again, then the Non-Tech. Guide to the Colorado Plateau book, and in my spare time, the Timp Guide.
    MRK

"I don't think I'm slowing down that much but age--mostly stiffness--are slowly creeping into my life. I'm 71 now, and I'm slowly loosing the desire to do X Slots!"

I'm 37 and i'm losing the desire to do x-slots.

Here's a favorite photo of MRK at work.

Name:  IMG_0248.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  71.1 KB