Thread: Noob Question - Changing Gears when I pedal hard

Blog Entries

Noob Question - Changing Gears when I pedal hard

So I'm a noob to Mountain Biking...

I have 24speed dual-suspension bike and love it to pieces.

Just recently, after pulling it out of storage and taking it for a spin on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail - when I put a LOT of force on the pedals (usually going up hill) it will shift usually from 1st or 2nd gear into 3rd without me selecting it.

I'm assuming the derailer needs to be adjusted??

I'm just not sure how to do that. I can google for How-To's I guess, OR, would you guys recommend to take it in to the shop?

Thanks!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

First, just so you sound more cool, say "full suspension". Second, two things indicate your bike could use a tune up: 24 speed (probably means it's an older bike) and "pulled it out of storage." Cables stretch, bolts loosen, derailleur hangers get bent, etc. If you're in the Draper area bring it to my garage and I will tune it up in exchange for Dr Pepper and stimulating conversation about all the canyons we've both done or haven't yet. If not, let your favorite lbs do it.

Sometimes this means the deraillerureile---- shifter thing is sitting right in between the two gears, so the chain has a hard time deciding which gear to go to. The more tension on the chain seems to favor the smaller ring/higher gear. So you can do some fine tuning to see if it's placing it right between the gears.

But don't listen to me, I've got about 5 working gears on my rig and I'm too lazy to maintain it.

Blog Entries
    Haha, thanks guys.

Got it - "full suspension"

..."derailleur" (stupid French) not "derailer" (stupid me and stupid Engrish) as I called it earlier. haha

As per your suggestions, it was actually the cable tension. I made it a bit tighter - and it works just like new. The cable must of slipped just a bit to do that.

Taylor, it's actually a new-ish bike, believe it or not. Thanks for the offer though. I live in Kaysville currently but if I'm in the area I'll have to hit ya up sometime.

Here is a bike pic for ya. Nothing too awesome, I promise ya.Name:  IMG_0305.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  57.7 KB

Thanks again guys!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Taylor, it's actually a new-ish bike, believe it or not. Thanks for the offer though. I live in Kaysville currently but if I'm in the area I'll have to hit ya up sometime.
    Cables have a habit of stretching on new bikes and often need to be adjusted after the first couple hundred miles.