Thread: Alternative Biner for Petzl Pirana

Alternative Biner for Petzl Pirana

Couldn't find any info for this combination online, but I just got my Pirana in the mail and want to note that it fits perfectly on a Metolius Element Keylock biner. It's a great little biner and it happens to be a few bucks cheaper than Petzl's offerings.

Also, this is my first post! I'm from Flagstaff and I'm planning an awesome canyoneering trip for the first half of June this year - I'm super excited. I've done a few canyons here and there before, but never just got out and did a bunch. Plus I just got a packraft... :)

2. Likes ratagonia liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Small biners are ok for dry canyons, but for water canyons (like 7 Teacups in California or Kolob in Utah or Salome Jug in Arizona) a larger carabiner may be more suited (like the Petzl Williams or similar size, some 32Kn red carabiners from Camp also fit well). In my experience keeping descender farther away from the body makes water disconnects easier, a big carabiner is easier to operate with bulky neoprene and keeping pirana further away from the body reduces chances of having jackets jam the descender.

Do you plan to do waterholes with the packraft? I've heard conditions of the anchors are uncertain due to landslide/flashflood, please post report of your trip if you do. Thanks!

5. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Interesting. Good information regarding wet canyons, thanks.

And Lower Waterholes is on my short list, for sure. My natural anchor skills are pretty good, and I have plenty of webbing, but that makes me wonder if I might end up in a situation where a bolt kit is necessary. I don't have one of those right now. Or perhaps a sandtrap would be the best option to add versatility?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucach View Post
    Small biners are ok for dry canyons, but for water canyons (like 7 Teacups in California or Kolob in Utah or Salome Jug in Arizona) a larger carabiner may be more suited (like the Petzl Williams or similar size, some 32Kn red carabiners from Camp also fit well). In my experience keeping descender farther away from the body makes water disconnects easier, a big carabiner is easier to operate with bulky neoprene and keeping pirana further away from the body reduces chances of having jackets jam the descender.

Do you plan to do waterholes with the packraft? I've heard conditions of the anchors are uncertain due to landslide/flashflood, please post report of your trip if you do. Thanks!
    Hi Luca -

What have you heard? a reliable source?

Anyone been through Waterholes recently?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Hi Luca -

What have you heard? a reliable source?

Anyone been through Waterholes recently?

Tom
    Tom, this was posted on Candition. http://candition.com/canyons/lower-water-holes-canyon

I am taking a trip thru Waterholes next weekend and I will provide and update with current anchor conditions.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum