Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bloomberg is the Worst Face for Gun Control

Quote Originally Posted by cchoc View Post
    It's part of the well regulated aspect as far as I'm concerned.
    Well there is your problem right there.... you do not understand the Constitution and Bill of Rights.....

"A well regulated Militia" and "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms" are two separate issues as currently interpreted by the Supreme Court.

It's the law of the land, we do not get to inject our personal concerns.

Name:  second-amendment-rifleman-1a.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  75.7 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Well there is your problem right there.... you do not understand the Constitution and Bill of Rights.....

"A well regulated Militia" and "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms" are two separate issues as currently interpreted by the Supreme Court.

It's the law of the land, we do not get to inject our personal concerns.

Name:  second-amendment-rifleman-1a.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  75.7 KB
    Not my problem, I just don't agree with SCOTUS on that nor do I believe that was what intended by the 'founders'. And yes, I do understand the constitution and the bill of rights just fine. Are you saying you agree with every Supreme Court ruling? Or do you get to inject your personal concerns on some?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

My point is that I don't buy the NRA arguments of most of the other 'founding father' nonsense that gets tossed around. They owned slaves, bathed infrequently, crapped in chamber pots, and had a whole host of other habits I have no interest in emulating, so cherry picking a few things and attaching the 'founding father' label does not impress me.
    Founding father nonsense? Do you realize that our government is one of the newest governments to form in the history of the world, yet it has the oldest constitution in the world? Obviously those chamber pot crapping, smelly, dirty, slave owning founding fathers knew what they were doing, and knew how important freedom is and the need to protect it. They knew that in order to maintain and preserve those freedoms the right to bear arms would need to be protected and instilled in our constitution. The 2nd amendment may seem old, out-dated and archaic, but it was designed to preserve our freedoms. And it very, very much still applies today.

5. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahansen60 View Post
    Founding father nonsense? Do you realize that our government is one of the newest governments to form in the history of the world, yet it has the oldest constitution in the world? Obviously those chamber pot crapping, smelly, dirty, slave owning founding fathers knew what they were doing, and knew how important freedom is and the need to protect it. They knew that in order to maintain and preserve those freedoms the right to bear arms would need to be protected and instilled in our constitution. The 2nd amendment may seem old, out-dated and archaic, but it was designed to preserve our freedoms. And it very, very much still applies today.
    Nice speech and an excellent example of the 1st amendment in action. It's also true, though, that the 2nd was put in place to help put down slave rebellions.

I simply said that not everything the founders did was golden and using founding fathers as a qualifier doesn't automatically make me agree. Sure they did a lot of good things and for that I'm grateful, but we don't live in those times nor would I want to.

You are free to make things as simple as you want, but if you read the history of the time you'll discover that not everything was as cut and dried as you'd like. If you'd read what I posted above you'd also see that I said I don't see any reason to try and abolish the 2nd amendment, so don't wear out your flag waving it in my direction, it's not required.

And if you are offended by the phase 'founding father nonsense' I didn't mean their nonsense but that people throw the phrase 'founding fathers' around to support about any point they want.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

For those asking if we have the right to have "bazookas" (because they really don't know what they're called), show me where bazookas are being carried in the streets by lawful U.S. citizens and then let's talk.

Same with:
    Tanks
    Nuclear Warheads
    and Weapons of Mass Destruction

The failure to debate logical gun ownership topics usually jumps to these items.

Kind of like when an Obama supporter is out of argument, they call you racist.

Once you can get them to stick to the topic, they end up agreeing that it's the wrong focus to concentrate on lawful citizens to cut down gun crime.

My 2 cents....

The general public should have the ability to be armed as well as the local police force. It only seems reasonable as the police and public are defending against the same threat.

FWIW- your local police force has assault rifles and high capacity magazine, among other fun toys.

Of course why let commonsense get in the way of a good gun grab.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

The 2nd doesn't say anything about what law abiding citizens were carrying on the streets of the day, but I'd bet they expected the well regulated militia to have cannons. Remember there wasn't a large standing army to protect the fledgling nation and to keep the slaves and natives in their place.

We even drive on the right so that when we whip our horses we are less likely to whip an oncoming driver. Trying to make some of our older rules and laws make sense without context is a silly exercise.

The 2nd is the law of the land and will not change in my lifetime I'm sure. Trying to make it into either an anachronism or a holy writ is even sillier, but then silly is a 1st amendment deal, and it is sacred. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Do you remember when the original colonists lined up to register their muskets?

Me neither....

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

12. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    FWIW- the head of the Bloomturd organizing just announced he is leaving in June.... said he was tired of fighting a losing battle.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Do you remember when the original colonists lined up to register their muskets?

Me neither....

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    There was no process in place to do that sort of thing. Nor did they have the ability to trace a musket ball to a musket. Times change.

Do you remember the 30 round clips the colonists had? Me neither...
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Do you remember the 30 round clips the colonists had? Me neither...
    Whats a 30 round clip??
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Whats a 30 round clip??
    Ho-hum, pretty weak.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Ho-hum, pretty weak.
    pretty weak is claiming to have many guns and not having a clue what a clip is........
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    pretty weak is claiming to have many guns and not having a clue what a clip is........
    No, weak is getting nit picky about what people call magazines. If that's your case for me not knowing about guns then it's very weak.

And, where I live, you don't even have to know what a gun is to get a carry permit more less know how to load and shoot one. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

And, where I live, you don't even have to know what a gun is to get a carry permit more less know how to load and shoot one. ;)
    Oh.... you mean you're allowed to exercise your Constitutional rights as a US citizen..... sweet!

USAUSAUSA

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Oh.... you mean you're allowed to exercise your Constitutional rights as a US citizen..... sweet!

USAUSAUSA

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    One of them anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light