Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smoking Weed in Pine Creek?

I find it quite bothersome to be in a slot canyon and see a family with fourteen kids (who are usually out of control and all over the place, scratching tic-tac-toe games into the rock and generally being nuisances) come around the corner. But do you see me blasting on the internet about it?
    If they are carving in the rock, you should.

However, being preachy and assuming that everyone would be better off doing what YOU chose to do is a very quintessential Mormon attitude.
    That's what many humans do (Bogley is a good example), not just Mormons. That's why there are bolt debates, political debates, environmental debates, etc.

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by cmd19 View Post
    I don't rise up and tell you you are all full of shit; I nod and move on. Why can't you guys do the same?
    So, if you guys are going to bitch, so will I.
    Compartmentalization in words.

Bitching about bitching = bitching. That's not new math.

"Do unto others as they do unto you" is not the Golden Rule.

etc.

4. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    OK, I get it. Your opinions matter, not other peoples. There is no concept of "you respect my choices and life and I respect yours", instead its "you agree with us or you are wrong". Funny, I always thought (and was told from everyone I know) that respect = respect, and that that IS the golden rule. But here respect means you agree with us or you are wrong. Gotcha.

If this is how the prevailing attitude is going to be, then so be it. You guys win. I'm not going to waste my day trying to fight an uphill battle against people who expect others to listen to and agree with them but wont let them voice an opposing opinion. I'd rather spend my time being wrong and living my life of shame as a heathen anyway. Off to go kill and rape and steal, because that's what marijuana smokers apparently do these days!

cmd19 just demonstrated why it's a good idea not to post on Bogely while you are high on pot.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

7. Likes ilipichicuma, SRG, Taylor, ratagonia, Kuya liked this post
    OK, I get it. Your opinions matter, not other peoples. There is no concept of "you respect my choices and life and I respect yours", instead its "you agree with us or you are wrong". Funny, I always thought (and was told from everyone I know) that respect = respect and that is the golden rule. But here respect means you agree with us or you are wrong. Gotcha.
    The Golden Rule is not co-dependent. It is not a social contract. It instructs you and I to DO something, independent of what others are doing.

True, there is no concept of "you do something and I'll do something back" (the old backscratch rule). That is a failed concept.

What works is: You (or I) just do what is right. What others do is of no concern.

It took me a long time to realize the truth of that. Still working on implementation. :)

Good luck to you, my friend!

9. Likes Taylor, Kuya, ststephen liked this post
    I actually haven't smoked pot in over a week.....But if you made yourself giggle with your "joke" then I'm happy I could help.

Ah, but who's the one to say what is "right"? You?

12. Likes hank moon liked this post
    OK. I have to go to work. Last post. I get it. You guys know what is "right", and your thoughts and opinions are the correct ones, and it is wrong of me to even think outside those clear cut lines.

Sorry to have even dared to bring up the idea of -gasp!- someone else having their own opinion on something. How stupid of me. I promise I wont let it happen again.

Ah, but who's the one to say what is "right"? You?
    Of course not. That is up to you. We are all trying to do what is right.

It is useful when trying to do so to be aware of splits in one's thinking, such as the one I pointed out above (i just nod and move on/you bitch and so will I)

This is an alert that a real decision has not been made about what the "right thing" is.

We all do this, so we have sayings like "Do as I say, not as I do" to make light of the fact that we are all divided in our thoughts and being.

C'est la vie...

hank

Weird! During freeze fest I didn't see any of the 40+ participants wearing their garments when suiting up for the black hole. As far as people toking up??? I don't know! What happens at freeze fest stays at freeze fest...unless Tom posts it on his latest Rave.

16. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    When you seek tolerance from others, it is not really helpful to your plea/argument to sound like a bigot. Let me change a word or two of your quote to demonstrate how you are sounding.
    I had always wondered how long it would be until the heavy [Black] influence of this board came out....

I am rather averse to [Blacks] in general, in how they operate on scales large and small, but I do not tell people not to [associate with Blacks] simply because it bothers me. We all have our own choices in this world, and I am pretty sure part of being an American is the ability to [be] what you choose, including [race]. Just because I am in the state of [Alabama] does not mean I am required to [act like your race]. If my [race] is [white], and my worship is [wearing a white pointy hat], then who are you to tell me "it's wrong"? I don't get in your face and tell you not to be [white], so don't get in my face and tell me [act black].

Not the perfect comparison but I hope you get the point of how your random comment about religion sounded to water-down some otherwise valid points. I don't see anyone on here condemning you or others for your choice to smoke. Whether I agree with your choice or not has never been brought up nor has religion been an issue until you made it one. The issue is Marijuana smoke in a canyon not the ills vs. benefits of it. Some see smoke in canyons as a minor inconvenience, some like me don't want our wilderness experience muddled by marijuana smoke, and some find it unthinkable to be in any way high/buzzed/inebriated in a canyon ( which is off topic - but hey at least it is somewhat related).
    Life is Good

OK. I have to go to work. Last post. I get it. You guys know what is "right", and your thoughts and opinions are the correct ones, and it is wrong of me to even think outside those clear cut lines.

Sorry to have even dared to bring up the idea of -gasp!- someone else having their own opinion on something. How stupid of me. I promise I wont let it happen again.
    Life is Good

Don't see much harm in it, personally.

...What ticks me off is seeing trash left in canyons.
    "Hardest thing I ever did? Beating Leukemia, definitely....or maybe Sandthrax"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rnelson View Post
    Don't see much harm in it, personally.

...What ticks me off is seeing trash left in canyons.
    Well the question has to be asked - do you pick it up then? If you see somebody leaving trash behind do you pick it up or say something?

Reminds me of when I was in line for the Batman - Dark Knight midnight movie premier in Layton City. We were all outside the building about 30 minutes before it was about to start when we all witnessed a young lady throwing a empty Mountain Dew bottle behind her back into the parking lot. Everybody saw it, but nobody said anything. Not a word, Including myself, which I now kick myself whenever I think of this story for not saying anything to her.

A member once said here that has been stuck with me ever since, and that is "vandalism (graffiti and trash is included) begets vandalism". If people see trash or graffiti, they are much more likely to leave other trash and leave more graffiti in the same area.

/sidenote.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

21. Likes rnelson liked this post
    Accidental post see full comment below (not sure how to delete a post?)

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    However, being preachy and assuming that everyone would be better off doing what YOU chose to do is a very quintessential Mormon attitude. So it is OK for you to bring up and complain about what you find offensive but when someone voices a dissenting opinion then it's suddenly not ok? Seems a bit hypocritical to me.
    Hmmmm.

I am not exactly Mormon (being an evangelical Atheist). I have lived in Utah since 1991. My experience is quite the opposite. Nowhere else have I lived has the general population been so respectful of my opinions and our differences.

If anything, what I find is that living in a relatively homogeneous community tends to solidify people in their political and social views. If all your friends believe the same thing, then it must be true, right? I do crusade against this at times on Bogley, which I'm sure has rubbed a few people the wrong way. But this is not a faith-based problem (though obviously some can interpret it that way) - it is a lack-of-breadth of experience leading to righteousness and lack of empathy problem.

Tom

24. Likes Taylor, Scott Card, jman liked this post
    Wow didn't expect this much of a discussion over this
    1: Did it impair our ability? NO
    2. Are there worse things that could happen? Duh obviously! however, i feel its an issue worth bringing up
    3 Are farts worse? haha in the short term yes! however i don't know anyone who has bad enough farts to marinate a canyon so people would smell hours later!
    Conclusion: Take the controversial subject of marijuana out of the mix! THE PROBLEM WAS THE AROMA!! This was my wife's first canyoneering trip ever. I JUST WISH as she stared at the grandeur of the classic cathedral room that she wouldn't have been distracted by an unnatural strong smell that somebody left there. Did we still have a blast? yes! did it ruin our trip? NO

ITS AS SIMPLE AS LEAVE NO TRACE!

26. Likes SRG, deagol, Kuya, Taylor, ststephen liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    What amazes me the most, here, is a guy comes to bogley and has us all figured out in 7 posts.

I've been here 7+ years and still don't quite have us all figured out.(but I'm getting closer)
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

28. Likes Kuya, ratagonia, jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post

I've been here 7+ years and still don't quite have us all figured out.(but I'm getting closer)
    Well yah, with Tom Jones changing his religious affiliation every year.... confusing!
    Life is Good

30. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Well yah, with Tom Jones changing his religious affiliation every year.... confusing!
    What was I last year?

I don't remember - not such a good short term memory these days.

Tom