Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Smoking Weed in Pine Creek?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    What was I last year?

I don't remember - not such a good short term memory these days.

Tom
    spaghetti monster??

or was that Dan's religion?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What was I last year?

I don't remember - not such a good short term memory these days.
    I don't know, but you have to admit that Elder Ratagonia has such a nice ring to it.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

4. Likes jman, ststephen liked this post
    I am considering becoming a Pastafarian after this thread.

Wow! This is a perfect thread for a troll like me! Maybe this should be moved to the political section? (Trolling!)

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Wow! This is a perfect thread for a troll like me! Maybe this should be moved to the political section? (Trolling!)
    So sorry you didn't get in on it earlier... guess the early bird gets the worm.

This thread is about beat to death so I will try and get my kicks in while I can. Something as simple as a bad smell should not bother people, period. In Wisconsin you drive through plenty of towns that smell terrible because of paper mills, and Iowa smells terrible because of fertilizing, Greeley, CO smells like the worst place on earth. Nobody thinks they smell good, but anyone who is employed in these areas think it smells like money. I realize that a pot smell is different than the ones I listed... Point is we all have to deal with smells we don't like but they make other people happy.

In addition to that, four weeks ago me and another experienced canyonero took 3 beginners through arsenic and slideanide while enjoying a couple beers and a puff. One of the beginners was a 21 year old college kid and ROTC cadet. His attitude towards MJ was negative prior to this trip, however afterwards his attitude was completely different. He didn't smoke at all mind you. When he realized the truth that people can be responsible, function, and know their limitations, while still focusing and safely completing the task at hand changed his viewpoint.

I am also sorry to say that two days ago this brilliant, motivated young man met his maker in a motorcycle accident caused by a sober 41 year old woman. So anyone who has a problem with canyoneering and a little bit of weed or a beer can get right off their high horse and pray they don't ever kill or injure someone doing something as mundane as driving.

9. Likes ststephen, ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    This thread is about beat to death so I will try and get my kicks in while I can.
    I'm not putting down the switch just yet :)

How about a poll? See below, then go back to your first post in the thread, and edit it with the appropriate letter added at the bottom (big and bold, if you please). Or just do a new post, if you want. As a refresher, this is about encountering a relatively mild "whiff" of pot smoke in Pine Creek canyon.

I'm a 'C'

hank

A i welcome it: ahhh...more smoke, please
    B meh: pretty neutral, actually
    C mild annoyance: wish it wasn't there, but no big deal
    D major annoyance: significantly affects my experience
    E major offense: intolerable; feeling that the smokers should somehow be punished

p.s. i think this type of poll is more interesting than the anonymous-click variety

I am at about halfway between C & D. If it's out in the open, I am at B

I was in Zion last summer for a week and I didn't have any ganja with me. I'll be there for a week this summer as well, but this time I'll certainly bring a stash...and I'll smoke it, too! I'll laugh in the face of anyone who gives me a hard time about it.

If I were to go through Mystery, and ran into someone at the last rap smoking a cigarette, a cigar, a pipe, weed, or cooking lunch, or sitting in a lotus position burning incense and chanting, I wouldn't be bothered at all. It's none of my business.

Just don't take a dump where I can see it.

Funny thing about pot, and people's misunderstanding of it. If you're driving, somebody who's drunk is pretty obvious, but you could be surrounded by people that are stoned, and you'd never know it. I think the world would be a better place if more people would do two things...smoke weed occasionally and watch South Park.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

13. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    I would choose between C and D depending on how much smoke there was.

I'm similar to Brian C:

I dislike just about any kind of smoke...maybe I'm sensitive to it. As a contact lens wearer, it makes my eyes sore. I don't particularly like the smell, and, at some times, really don't like it.

I'd probably be more upset at smelling cigarette smoke, but, any smoke in the confined space of a slot canyon would be fairly annoying...and...really, very avoidable.

I find I'm constantly amazed at the lack of respect some user groups have for others. Whether its forcing your untrained and yapping dog on folks, leaving litter, being loud...smoking in confined spaces fits into that catagory.

I don't know about pot smoke, but cigarette smoke really kicks up my allergies in a bad way and (literally) makes me sick (I could never smoke regardless of any religion). If it's just the after smell, maybe not, but the actually smoke does. One I got seated next to a cigar smoker on a plane flight and it seriously made me sick.

That said as Brian C points out, smoking isn't the only thing people can do to as a lack of respect. I'm not the camp that anyone can do what they want out there as long as it doesn't affect someone else. If you are in a remote canyon with little chance of running into others, have at it!
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I actually enjoy the occasional whiff of the ganja. What I don't like is if the smoker is doing it to purposely try and show how cool or open minded they are by merely smoking it.

I would much rather smell marijuana than tobacco.

And yeah, I'm a Mormon, as if that really had anything to do with it.

Greatly prefer pot to tobacco as well. Both when I'm smelling it and smoking it

But I actually don't think we should stink up confined canyon areas with either. So, to your survey it really depends on the strength and how confined a space it is. If it truly is a "mild whiff" I feel like B. But as the strength goes up and I know it's not going to clear for hours then, while it doesn't bother me personally, I cringe knowing that my fellow smokers are not being good citizens and move into the C category.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I actually enjoy the occasional whiff of the ganja. What I don't like is if the smoker is doing it to purposely try and show how cool or open minded they are by merely smoking it.

I would much rather smell marijuana than tobacco.

And yeah, I'm a Mormon, as if that really had anything to do with it.
    Rastamormian! Attachment 73203

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    While we are at it, lets list some the negative effects of Marijuana:

Altered sense of time and space
    Food cravings
    Hallucinations
    Not knowing where one is

Wait these are considered negative?

Where did you get your data for supposed side effects from smoking grass? There is some evidence out there that supports marijuana actually killing Cancer cells, instead of the other way around like you suggested.

In terms of negative side effects, alcohol beats MJ hands down.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

How did smelling pot turn into walking through second hand smoke?

How do we know they smelled pot at all? Maybe they were chasing a traped skunk down canyon?

Maybe the solution is to put down the pipe and eat some shrooms? Those are all natural too.

I just hope nobody pulls out a water vapor ecig. Those are the most offensive. The state of California government told me so.