Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Weed in Pine Creek?

Smoking Weed in Pine Creek?

On the 17th my wife and i did pine creek and we couldn't help but smell marijuana periodically as we descended the canyon. I feel whatever your stance is on marijuana do it some place where it wont effect others! and besides doesn't canyoneering give you a high a enough already?
    What do you guys think about this?

2. Likes Kuya liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I agree with you....

Makes about as much sense as doing a canyon drunk. Personally, I want all my faculties in full play.

6. Likes Kuya, Slot Machine, rockgremlin liked this post
    We do not want to be breathing/smelling ANY kind of smoke in a canyon!

I actually appreciate the pot smell as it covers up the shit smell. So for me it's a bonus.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

^X2^, what peakbaggers said.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGeorge View Post
    On the 17th my wife and i did pine creek and we couldn't help but smell marijuana periodically as we descended the canyon. I feel whatever your stance is on marijuana do it some place where it wont effect others! and besides doesn't canyoneering give you a high a enough already?
    Specifically, how did it "affect others?"

10. Likes rockgremlin, WorkBad liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    What do you mean by "where it wont effect others!"?

Did you get high from the fumes you were smelling?

Tom

C (poll)

12. Likes rnelson, rockgremlin, WorkBad liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Makes about as much sense as doing a canyon drunk. Personally, I want all my faculties in full play.
    Uh, not really. (in application to the first sentence)

Do you guys have any experience with marijuana? You may be perhaps misinformed as to its effects.

Tom

14. Likes rnelson, rockgremlin, SRG, Skeeter, WorkBad liked this post
    I feel whatever your stance is on marijuana do it some place where it wont effect others!
    I place a few weedy wafts in the "minor annoyance" category. A major annoyance might be persistent loud yelling or trash. A major offense would be human fecal matter, large amounts of trash, etc.

As long as the tweeders pack out their weed-waste and don't create industrial levels of smoke, seems relatively harmless. Check your mental state for anti-weed judgment. If it's there, might it be needlessly affecting your pleasure?

C (poll)

I'm not sure how to answer this one, like the people above me I'm a little hazy on how this affected you. Plus I'd rather have pot smokers than noisy, obnoxious groups who scribble their names on the walls. On another note, a group behind us waiting for a rap in Larry last year busted out a can of beer each. Made me jealous as hell, looked soooooo darn good at the time slurping down their suds. I too generally want all my senses sharp though, and wouldn't partake.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Uh, not really. (in application to the first sentence)

Do you guys have any experience with marijuana? You may be perhaps misinformed as to its effects.

Tom
    Exactly. I don't see a possibility of catching a contact high in a canyon. To each their own, I see no harm done.

The affect was that it leaves a smell that some people find annoying. No one has an issue sharing the canyon with "Pot smokers" but it's probably desired that they wouldn't smoke in the canyon where it is such a confined space. Colorado just legalized recreational MJ (as everyone knows) but it doesn't mean people should be smoking in confined spaces where others will be affected by the smoke (just smelling it is what I am saying, obviously no one is going to get high on it)

Edit: I have a good friend who lit up MJ after a backcountry ski day and I didn't care one bit, I was able to get away from the smoke since we were out in the open. In a deep canyon like Pine Creek, I wouldn't have been able to do that.

19. Likes harness man liked this post
    I dislike just about any kind of smoke...maybe I'm sensitive to it. As a contact lens wearer, it makes my eyes sore. I don't particularly like the smell, and, at some times, really don't like it.

I'd probably be more upset at smelling cigarette smoke, but, any smoke in the confined space of a slot canyon would be fairly annoying...and...really, very avoidable.

I find I'm constantly amazed at the lack of respect some user groups have for others. Whether its forcing your untrained and yapping dog on folks, leaving litter, being loud...smoking in confinced spaces fits into that catagory.

Heavy sigh...

21. Likes Scott P liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I think Alex just wanted to see who the bogley pot smokers were
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

23. Likes ratagonia, ststephen liked this post
    Been away from bogley for a while and I can see it's going up in smoke...

I'm with Hank. This is a minor faux pas. Farting in a tight canyon could be worse, but also harder to avoid. It sounds like the smell was the only thing they did that impacted anyone else. Cigarettes would be worse in my opinion too: smell is harsher and possibility of trash increases.

As to the impairment issue, seems like we don't have any info to suggest they were impaired in any impactful way. I've been in plenty of canyons where someone had a puff of smoke or sip of alcohol in a responsible way. Personally, I prefer to wait to the end or perhaps the hike out to the car, but as long as folks are acting responsibly the mere fact they choose to imbibe is really a non issue IMO.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Part of my outdoor experience is the smell of it, along with the sight of it, the feel of it, the sound of it, and given the wrong pot hole, the taste of it. I too prefer to have an unobstructed experience with all my senses, not just visually. I prefer to not smell tobacco, marijuana or any other unnatural odor in a slot canyon.
    Life is Good

26. Likes Kuya, deagol, hank moon, Brian in SLC liked this post
    I agree Scott. I think it is a bit rude to stink up the canyon with weed. If it were folks I knew I would suggest they wait until the open area where folks take off wet suits.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

28. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    To be considerate of others while smoking weed in a canyon.... get far away from other groups, put it out if you hear a group approaching, consider edibles, vaporizers or even a pipe instead of smoking a joint, wait for a break in the narrows when the canyon opens up.
    There's a big difference between forcing a group to either wait or walk through your cloud of marijuana smoke in a confined environment versus leaving a smell lingering for a group who is coming through in 5 minutes. In my eyes the former is an etiquette faux-pa, the latter not so much so.

Regarding the effects of marijuana impairment on ones ability to canyoneer... I think it's different for everyone.
    Last week a college student ate too much marijuana and jumped off a building to his death here in Denver, contrast this with a 2009 trip report where the group "medicates" multiples times while descending Sandthrax and it is apparent that MJ can have hugely different effects on different people... I'd say it's up to the individual to know their own body and mind.

I can't even believe we are having this conversation. We all know that drugs and alcohol are not good for our bodies. I don't care who you are, you body is better without consuming that stuff, ever. especially while canyoneering. Just leave it home or in the truck to enjoy after the canyon if you must consume it. I don't need or want to deal with high or drunk canyoneers in a canyon. not ever.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    The affect was that it leaves a smell that some people find annoying...

So do farts....you should go online and complain about that too.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

32. Likes Kuya liked this post