Thread: Utah's popular 'soda-pop geyser' is fizzling out

Utah's popular 'soda-pop geyser' is fizzling out

GREEN RIVER, Emery County

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The only geyser in North America that operates on cold water is pretty much a fizzle these days.
    This is not the only one. There are also the Chaffin and Woodside Geysers as well, which are in the same region. There were formerly ones in the San Rafael Swell and along the Little Colorado River as well.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

4. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    This is not the only one. There are also the Chaffin and Woodside Geysers as well, which are in the same region. There were formerly ones in the San Rafael Swell and along the Little Colorado River as well.
    I like how Scott is almost consistently the most well informed on almost all topics out of doors....and willing to share in an even keeled manner. Seriously I appreciate that, keep it up Scott.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

better than Yellowstone?

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I've been to this geyser at least 5 times in the last year and have yet to see it erupt. How are they getting rocks inside? There's a metal tube with a grate at the top that should prevent rocks being tossed inside. Damned shame.. damned shame..
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

8. Likes double moo liked this post
    better than Yellowstone?
    In a way, yes. At Yellowstone, you have to view the geysers from a distance. With cold water geysers, you can get up really close while they are erupting and even feel the shooting water. I like the cold water geysers because you can get really close.

I've been to this geyser at least 5 times in the last year and have yet to see it erupt.

If you want to see a cold water geyser erupt, go to the Chaffin Geyser and camp there. If you camp there, you are guaranteed and eruption. The Chaffin Geyser is south of Green River, but on the west side of the river. It's right by the San Rafael River Bridge.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    There were formerly ones in the San Rafael Swell
    Where in the Swell?
    Blog | FB

Where in the Swell?
    It's at the ZCMI mine, but the geyser is extinct (you can read about it in history books and Kesley's book). There is also an extinct one in Tenmile Canyon on the east side of the Green River I forgot to mention.

The only cold water geysers in the area that I know of that are still active are Crystal, Chaffin, and Woodside. The one at Woodside isn't as impressive as it used to be, though it still erupts.

Old photo:

More recent:

If Crystal fizzles out, Chaffin (you have already been there) will be the most impressive one left, even though it is much smaller than Crystal.