Thread: Locations near Orderville

Locations near Orderville

Our family has planned a trip to the east side of Zion for the first part of May. We are staying near Orderville and I was hoping you guys could help me out with some info on the area. We are going with extended family that have some doubters among them and I was hoping to open their eyes to the amazingness that is a southern Utah slot canyon. We have two potential groups, the first would be made up of mostly a few adults and a few teenagers and the second group would also include some young kids. So... I have two questions for you guys: 1) what are some good beginner canyons near by that are suitable to take kids along, I don't mind some rappelling (<60'). Something along the lines of Lambs Knoll, Yankee Doodle, or Keyhole without the cold water. I know the Red Caves are there but are they kid friendly? The hike looks a little long and sandy. I was thinking Birch would be really fun with the older group if we can break away from the kids for that long. 2) Are there any good rappelling areas near Orderville to do a little training before we get into it? For a bonus: do you have any recommendations for things to do in the area? Bryce Canyon any good?
    Thanks ahead of time. You guys are awesome!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I did Diana's Throne Canyon last weekend with my wife and 2 small kids. 6 or so small raps that are pretty easy, fun downclimbs, and scenic narrow spots. It's just south of the Mt Carmel junction. Navigation is fairly easy, but a GPS is helpful. Sandhill at the end isn't that fun, but you don't have to tell anyone about it beforehand.

Beta at roadtripryan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Green View Post
    I did Diana's Throne Canyon last weekend with my wife and 2 small kids.
    X2. Took my family through a few months ago, great family canyon with an easy approach and return.

I don't think you can "canyoneer" in Bryce, but it's great hiking...

Thanks for the response guys! I think we will definitely try Diana's it looks like a pretty decent canyon. Does anyone have any ideas for a good place to do a little training before we go?