Thread: Helmets

Helmets

Ok so I've been climbing for a few years now and I'm actively trying more and more canyoneering, however I've been using my petzl elios for canyoneering and while everything I've read says that it's a great helmet for this use I just feel as though

1. A lot of times danger in canyons doesn't just come from falling rocks but slipping as well, and climbing helmets like the elios don't have any real side protection. And

2. I feel as though the foam in the climbing helmet will degrade much faster in prolonged exposure to water.

Recently I saw a video where some extreme canyoneers we're doing flips and jumps wearing whitewater helmets. I just don't know much about paddling and white water safety ratings on protective gear. It does seem like a good idea though seeing as how these helmets cover more on the sides and are meant to be in the water more. Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I use my petzl elios helmet for both climbing and canyoneering and feel like it is light and strong enough for both. As for side protection I think the elios works fine.

I wear a petzl Ecrin rock. But that's beside the point. If I were to get a new helmet, I'd get a Bern watts with the neoprene pads. It can be used for whitewater, canyons, skate/bike. Switch the pads and it's good for winter as well.

Recently, I've also looked at the Mammut El cap. Good reviews and looks good.

LNT

Sorry I should have been more clear my question is really more about the safety ratings of a whitewater helmet and whether or not it would be suitable for canyoneering.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Sorry I should have been more clear my question is really more about the safety ratings of a whitewater helmet and whether or not it would be suitable for canyoneering.
    While the Whitewater helmet offers better side impact protection (ie, from slamming your head into a rock), it offers almost zero top impact protection (ie, rocks slamming into you).

Climbing helmets are designed to deal with both. I think the side-impact protection of an Elios is sufficient for most things canyoneering. Certainly the top-impact protection is important.

I have not worn one much, but it also looks like a whitewater helmet would not ventilate well. It is often hot out when we canyoneer, and good ventilation is important.

I have not seen any problems with durability to water. All materials are non-absorbant.

You might get a better fit with the Elia helmet, which is smaller than the Elios (size 2).

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    While the Whitewater helmet offers better side impact protection (ie, from slamming your head into a rock), it offers almost zero top impact protection (ie, rocks slamming into you).

Climbing helmets are designed to deal with both. I think the side-impact protection of an Elios is sufficient for most things canyoneering. Certainly the top-impact protection is important.

I have not worn one much, but it also looks like a whitewater helmet would not ventilate well. It is often hot out when we canyoneer, and good ventilation is important.

I have not seen any problems with durability to water. All materials are non-absorbant.

You might get a better fit with the Elia helmet, which is smaller than the Elios (size 2).

Tom

Thanks Tom. Also I can see how the nickname might be confusing but I am indeed a guy, the name is just a result of an awesome pink hat. I'll make sure to update with a picture to lessen future confusion.

8. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

I have not seen any problems with durability to water.
    X2

Climbing helmets are designed to limit the force transmitted to the spine when a rock impacts the top of your head. AFAIK whitewater helmets have no performance requirement for that scenario, which is arguably the most common. The holes in the crown of whitewater helmets, aside from weakening the top-impact resistance, can also allow smaller rocks direct access to your skull. A lesser concern, but most of my top impacts have been with smaller rocks.

I went out with a couple last week who both wore whitewater helmets. We were at around 6400' on the East side of Zion, cool/windy weather and their heads were sweating pretty freely...

Some of the thicker foam climbing helmets might offer greater side protection (Petzl Meteor, BD Vector) than the Elios and similar designs, though there is no formal standard by which to measure such perceived differences. All climbing helmets on the market (should) meet the CE and/or UIAA requirement for side protection.

10. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    I've seen some people use bike helmets thinking that it was better than nothing. What do you think?
    (scary question. I'm bracing for impact)

Quote Originally Posted by PhysWiz View Post
    I've seen some people use bike helmets thinking that it was better than nothing. What do you think?
    (scary question. I'm bracing for impact)
    Bike helmets protect from side impacts well, but not so hot for top impact. Certainly a whole lot better than nothing.

Tom

Since we are talking about different types of helmets, anyone have any thoughts about skiing helmets for canyoneering?

-Luke

Quote Originally Posted by pikan View Post
    Since we are talking about different types of helmets, anyone have any thoughts about skiing helmets for canyoneering?

-Luke
    Again, like a whitewater helmet. Good on impacts (side and front), not so good on rocks falling on you. And very warm.

Tom

-Luke
    Yeah, you'd look like a doofus.

LNT

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Yeah, you'd look like a doofus.
    Might look like a genius at freeze-fest!

17. Likes Kuya, ratagonia liked this post
    Might look like a genius at freeze-fest!
    Touch