Thread: Keyhole / Pine Creek 4-19-14

Keyhole / Pine Creek 4-19-14

Kids were out of school today, so we grabbed a couple of their friends and headed out. 2 of them, this was their first canyon

Not sure how to describe the canyons. Some would call them low, I would prefer to call them full. Full of sand that is. There is more sand in the canyons than I have ever seen, therefore they are holding as much water as they possibly could. The long hallway in keyhole is full, but it is still only chest deep. The first rap in Pine, I could reach the anchors and set the rope from the bowl, not up on the ledge. Second rap, 7' down to sand. Downclimb under boulder - no more, now climb up RDC for a little sketchy traverse and drop back into drainage. Cathedral, doubled a 90' rope onto a sand bar that is taller than the exit point. Still a lot of cold water and wetsuits definitely recommended. Now is the perfect time to be in Zion. Permits are easy to get. Crowds aren't too bad. I hear from people that it's too early to do water canyons. Why, water can only get so cold before it freezes. Grab a wetsuit and head out

2. Likes CanyonBarbie liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Side note. Look at the dates, this whole week the date remains the same whether read forwards or backwards. Hopefully that info didn't replace something importing in my brain

Nice. We are down here too. Ran through Boundary yesterday with a group of 6. Two of us are 13 yr old twins on their second canyon. Boundary is bone dry and there's only a trickle of water in Kolob at the confluence. Thanks for the update on Keyhole, we are running through there before heading home.