Thread: Moonshine Wash

Moonshine Wash

On April 16th, 2014, Steph, John, our unborn son and I wrapped up our spring canyon trip with a descent of Moonshine Wash. Our new baby was due 9 days, John's 3rd birthday was 6 days away. Just enough time to squeeze in one more canyon.

We're not really "Everything's Awesome!" kind of people (reference to the recent Lego movie). Most canyons are good. Some are not.

But this one was REALLY good.

Not much of a story, except that there were a couple of committing downclimbs for my wife. Two twenty foot chimneys that would be difficult for her to reverse in her 'delicate' condition.

So, I scouted the entire canyon before she committed. This was a treat, because I got to see the canyon three times. All of the way down, all of the way up, then back down again.

Name:  076.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  75.0 KB

Name:  078.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  129.7 KB

Name:  081.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  106.2 KB

The three beanie makeshift helmet. His beanie, Dad's beanie and Mom's beanie.
    Name:  082.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  101.2 KB

Name:  084.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  108.7 KB

Name:  086.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  112.2 KB

Posing under the sheep bridge, high above.
    Name:  087.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  103.3 KB

Name:  090.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  123.5 KB

Name:  092.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  105.5 KB

Name:  102.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  97.3 KB

Special thanks to @Iceaxe for his superb description of this canyon.

http://climb-utah.com/Roost/moonshine.htm

We used the convenient Escape Route and completed the adventure in a very leisurely 4.5 hours (car-to-car).
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like a great weekend Bob. I love the picture of John walking in the slot with his hands behind his back. Awesome!

4. Likes Slot Machine liked this post

6. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Both of them (your sons) have a huge head start....

8. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    Both of them (your sons) have a huge head start....
    It's funny, John might like canyoneering more than I do. His stoke is contagious. There wasn't a moment during our three day outing when he wanted to go home.

He never wanted to be carried in the pack and raced down the canyon the second we put him down. He listened attentively to coaching; how to evaluate obstacles, to look for holes in the floor, to stop at any drop, etc. He marveled at the beauty of each slot. Strange to see a tiny kid 'take a moment' since their attention span is normally so short.

His muscle memory grew by leaps and bounds over the three days, really incredible to observe. His movement was quite fluid by the third day.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

10. Likes hikster11 liked this post
    That's pretty cool...

I loved all of the TR's Bob! But I this was my favorite as I've had this one on the radar for a while now.

It has always amazed me how different my kids act while in a canyon. It's like one huge playground for them.

The fourth picture of your son in his "helmet" looking up is truly a keeper. Great shot.
    Life is Good