Thread: Headwinds at the Waterholes canyon exit?

Headwinds at the Waterholes canyon exit?

Does anyone have experience navigating a packraft into the headwinds at the Waterholes canyon exit that heads down the Colorado to Lees Ferry?

With the calm water and the strong winds coming up river I imagine using a packraft down to Lees Ferry will be slow going. Dangerous maybe? Manageable?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

A strong headwind definitely makes it a challenging paddle, especially if you use the flimsy paddles that come with the budget packrafts, I had one bust on me. I was able to exit the Colorado and hike on river left for the last 1/2 or so back to Lees Ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave Silence View Post
    A strong headwind definitely makes it a challenging paddle, especially if you use the flimsy paddles that come with the budget packrafts, I had one bust on me. I was able to exit the Colorado and hike on river left for the last 1/2 or so back to Lees Ferry.
    Thanks for the response. Do you mind being more specific about where you exited the Colorado? Isn't LF on the right?

Correct, LF is on the right bank, you'd have to paddle back across the Colo at some point. I don't recall where I exited, it was about 1/2 way in when my paddle busted. It'll be obvious, once there, where it will be possible to hike next to the river