Thread: Canyonlands Mega Trip

Rookie
    WEybridge in leafy Surrey about 30 minutes outside of London

Canyonlands Mega Trip

Hi there,

I am based in the UK and have done quite a few photography trips into the South West over the last few years....

Although I have traveled to both Arches and island in the Sky with my family, there is a burning desire to go 'deeper' into the interior of Canyonlands for a landscape photography trip with a difference...

As I live a long way away I am trying to hatch a plan to maximise on a single visit... I realise that there will be a fair deal of 'hiking' involved but that is secondary to the primary focus of the trip which would be landscape photography... I have no interest in anything technical which might involve rope either..... :-)

Current plan in its very early stages is something along the lines of :

1. Three / Four Nights in the Maze, staying at Maze Overlook one night and Doll House for two / three nights... Would have to do this with an outfitter as I have no desire to try and drive this area... its an expensive option but dont see how I have a choice on this one... During the time there would be keen to spend some time in the Fins area, hike out to Chocolate Drops and also possibly the Green / Colorado Confluence area... No real interest in Great Gallery or Harvest Scene pictographs in this area...

2. Two / Three nights along the White Rim trail below Island in the Sky... Would be interested in comments on best / most scenic camping areas... I assume no easy access into Monument Basin? I do suspect its best to photograph from above anyway.... Would I need an outfiter for this one or jest rent a Jeep for a few days from Moab...

3. Two / Three nights in Needles area... keen to spend at least one last afternoon in Chesler park area, walk up Elephant Canyon to Druid Arch for early morning picture and ( unfortunately I suspect a bridge to far! ) hike out to Angel Arch and see the All-American Man too.... Would probably use an outfitter for this one especially if Idecide to have a go at Angle Arch... not at all keen on hiking solo in this / any area...

In terms of when, I would guess around mid May 2015 is when I would target the trip.... Hopefully that would provide a balance between wind and rain.... Would be great if I miss 'bug season' too...

The trip is planned from west to east to enable me a little R&R time between trips in and around Moab for showering restocking etc...

Would be very interested in comments from those on the forum that have visited these locations on the plausibility of my plan and also might have any suggestion on other great photographic locations in this specific area...

Many Thanks In Advance!!!
    Des

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Three / Four Nights in the Maze, staying at Maze Overlook one night and Doll House for two / three nights... Would have to do this with an outfitter as I have no desire to try and drive this area... its an expensive option but dont see how I have a choice on this one...
    I don't believe there are any outfitters for something like this. Did you find any?

2. Two / Three nights along the White Rim trail below Island in the Sky... Would be interested in comments on best / most scenic camping areas... I assume no easy access into Monument Basin? I do suspect its best to photograph from above anyway.... Would I need an outfiter for this one or jest rent a Jeep for a few days from Moab...
    Are you taking about biking outfitters? If so, there are some. Yes, you can just rent a jeep, but make sure to get your permit well in advance for the White Rime campsites. Yes, there are easy ways into the Monument Basin, including old cow trails. I took my kids in there when they were very young.

hike out to Angel Arch and see the All-American Man too.... Would probably use an outfitter for this one especially if Idecide to have a go at Angle Arch... not at all keen on hiking solo in this / any area...
    Coming in to Salt Creek from the top is much more scenic.

In terms of when, I would guess around mid May 2015 is when I would target the trip.... Hopefully that would provide a balance between wind and rain.... Would be great if I miss 'bug season' too...
    That is actually peak bug season (at least the start of it), but it's only going to be a problem in wider canyons with running water.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

4. Likes Byron liked this post
    Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I don't believe there are any outfitters for something like this. Did you find any?

Are you taking about biking outfitters? If so, there are some. Yes, you can just rent a jeep, but make sure to get your permit well in advance for the White Rime campsites. Yes, there are easy ways into the Monument Basin, including old cow trails. I took my kids in there when they were very young.

Coming in to Salt Creek from the top is much more scenic.

That is actually peak bug season (at least the start of it), but it's only going to be a problem in wider canyons with running water.
    Thanks scott!

checking with some outfitters for a custom trip to the maze. I think this should be possible...

will do white rim by rented jeep.... Would be good to know more about easy paths into monument basin.... That would be fantastic to see from ground level I think...

your route into angel arch sounds great, will do some research around that too....

2nd that about the bug season, the gnats are not much fun even when camping at Chesler Park. Bring stuff for them.

checking with some outfitters for a custom trip to the maze. I think this should be possible..
    I guess there are a few (very expensive) outfits that do go out there. If you're going guided, you might consider going by raft, especially in May. It's similar in price and Cataract Canyon is one of the best rafting trips in the world. You can still see some good stuff in the Maze by accessing from the river, though I'm not sure which commercial trips do the most hiking.

Would be good to know more about easy paths into monument basin.... That would be fantastic to see from ground level I think...
    There is a pretty easy route on in on the northeast corner. I'll draw it on a map when I get the time. Somewhere there is also a cattle trail; we came in the scramble route on this trip.

Here are my kids on the route, but it was a cool and cloudy day when we went:

Here is another album of other things to do on the White Rim if you are interested. You can see several more photos of our route into Monument Basin.

http://www.summitpost.org/photo-trip...h-15-17/389856
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Seems to me that you're pretty much on top of things...I suggest you rent a jeep and just go for it. You don't need no stinking outfitters. Sure, some of these places are remote, but it's not like the middle of Africa.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

9. Likes walkthetaco liked this post
    Des, I'm in the UK in Balham and your plan is amazing - it's virtually identical to what a friend and I have just booked up for this week after almost a year of planning as it never happened last year! Probably easiest to run through it if you call me on 07831 314540. It would be great if you wanted to join us. My main aim is also seeing great landscapes and hopefully getting great pics (it could also cut costs but that's by the by).
    We have a customised Maze tour - including High Spur/North East Spur slot, which looks among the best in the South-West that isn't super technical, Maze Overlook sunset, Pete's Mesa for ridge views down into Maze canyons, Chocolate Drops, the Fins of Ernie's Country, then Cataract Canyon for the deep canyon that's pretty much inaccessible otherwise without a jeep and lots of hiking.....then Druid Arch and a bit more Needles, a day or two around Moab, and Halls Creek Narrows/Gorge.

Sounds like you are planning an epic trip! While I got that hiking is only to you a means to achieve a view (and not something enjoyable unto itself) it wasn't clear if you wanted to or would consider backpacking to get access to great photo locations. Early morning and late afternoon are of course prime photo times and many of the great spots in the Needles and the Maze take some time to reach. A night in Chesler park or Lost Canyon gets you out there in that magic lighting time.

I understand the trepidation about driving there solo. But, time spent acquiring 4WD driving skills seems like a good investment for someone with your interests! What about renting a jeep and taking a day or two for lessons vs. paying an outfitter? This was essentially my method though I did it over the course of a year or so.

OTOH, I like Scott's idea about the river too. That's another way to have access to great morning/evening light in locations that are otherwise quite difficult to reach. But, you then have to work to climb to attain sweeping views.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Rookie
    HI, thanks for reaching out... Unfortunately I am only in early stages ofplanning for may 2015 and I guess you guys are going this year...? I have already dfone my photo trip of the year ( to Iceland ). For the Maze area I absolutely want to spend three nights in the Standing Rocks / Doll House areas too... Looking forward to see how your trip goes!!

There are several outfitters based out of Moab. Or find an adventurous friend with a 4x4 !

Navtec: http://navtec.com/

Rim Tours: http://www.rimtours.com/the-maze

Magpie: http://magpieadventures.com/moab-bike-tours/bike-tours/

Rookie
    Thanks Scott... I was reading a Canyonlands hiking book where it mentioned that the recommended approach to the basin is on the north side where a narrow peninsula of land juts out on the east side of the basin ( not sure which one...) ... On the southwest side of this peninsula there is supposedly some kind of 'shepherds trail' which is kinda hard to locate... Sound familiar to where you went down....? Anything towards level 4 scrambling would be too much for me ( not keen in a slip resulting in death )... low end level 3 probably OK... Would be great to bivvy down there for a night I think... If its not doable will just spend more time at the top.....