Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4/12/14 - Family Rescued from Sandthrax after 3 Days

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    So will there be a second "Ralston affect" now with the mainstream exposure on TV?
    I highly doubt it, these types of rescues are a monthly deal. Ralston's was an amazing story of survival that captured the counties imagination.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The father and son's intended to do East Fork of Leprechaun and somehow ended up in Sandthrax.
    How in the heck would that happen? When you go up the approach route, East Lep is to the west. Santhrax is to the east.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

4. Likes Don liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I highly doubt it, these types of rescues are a monthly deal. Ralston's was an amazing story of survival that captured the counties imagination.

What I meant by the "Ralston effect" was another waive of ill-prepared people (who may not have ever even heard of canyoneering) heading to a specific area of canyons after some publicity (i.e. a movie like 127 Hours or an appearance on a talk show). I am thinking back to the stories of people showing up in Robber's Roost after seeing that movie looking for the Blue Hole. Or to say it another way: mention of Sandthrax & North wash on the Today show puts this spot and activity on everyone's radar screen and then bam.....

Blog Entries
    Saw this passing on Facebook - http://fox13now.com/2014/04/12/utah-...DOUiBzonFjlEUZ

Guess he was interviewed by Fox13.

"was told it was very easy for kids" and "recommended for kids."

"there was one caveat, don't go the canyon next to it - Sandthrax"

Reporter: "Sandthrax has the name for a reason - people have died there"

"Got the end" and realized it was the wrong canyon?

Reporter: "Knight said that his respect for Southern Utah rescue workers has grown..."
    Knight: "they literally turn and burn and go from one rescue to the other...and they don't go home...and hopefully have enough gas to go to the next rescue".

huh????

As Booter says in reference to these rescues, "the future of canyoneering". I really hope not!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post

As Booter says in reference to these rescues, "the future of canyoneering". I really hope not!
    It inevitably is. You can see it from miles away.

I hate it when the news makes a big dramatic story out of these incidents.

It's all headed toward a permit system in the North Wash. The place is getting over-run by people who saw a video or pictures on Facebook and thought that canyoneering looked "sick" or "tight". Social media is the worst thing to happen to these canyons. People spray videos and pictures for various reasons, mostly egocentrism if you ask me, with no thought for the fragility and uniqueness of these places and their preservation.

It's either permits or you'll be waiting in a procession of clambering gapers to drop into leprechaun.
    Just wait, mark my words.

LNT

8. Likes deagol liked this post
    I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when Dad was explaining to Mom what happened to the boys. I suspect he will be sleeping on the sofa for a while. These are the Irish canyons. Perhaps that name was chosen because its so easy to drop into the wrong slot. Glad they are out safely.

Seems like now would be the prime time to launch a private SAR business in Hanksville.

$5000 a day! Who wants in?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

11. Likes Byron, deagol, Don liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Social media is the worst thing to happen to these canyons. People spray videos and pictures for various reasons, mostly egocentrism if you ask me, with no thought for the fragility and uniqueness of these places and their preservation.
    Lord, grant BB the serenety to accept the things he cannot change...

I don't see permits in the future of BLM canyons. It's just not the way the BLM operates. The BLM Attitude has always been if the idiots want to stand in a line to kill themselves so be it... look at base jumping and rope swings for a reference.

Also the BLM just doesn't have the man power or resources to deal with permits. If they did I expect they would first try and do a better job of protecting ruins and rock art through permits.

But we might see a change in the way SAR is paid for. I don't see how these small rural counties can continue to shoulder the expense.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

14. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

But we might see a change in the way SAR is paid for. I don't see how these small rural counties can continue to shoulder the expense.
    I agree.

And each rescue (now every weekend) should be reviewed carefully: trip planning, preparation done, skills/experience resume, canyon level, and execution.

"So, you started at the TH to do the Pandora full route at 10:30 am?"

"Do you have a map, compass, GPS and know how to use them?"

etc.

Anyone can twist an ankle, make a mistake, and yes get in an accident. However, there are some rescues that beg further review.

16. Likes jman, Don liked this post
    Especially this one. He said without preparedness and the rescue team he would not have made it out. I hate making judgements but....
    Name:  prepared.JPG
Views: 853
Size:  85.5 KB

Here is the link to the Good Morning America story:
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/fath...-turn-23315320

Hello Everyone

I just want to thank everyone here that helped out here. As some of you know the news sometimes get facts wrong and spins them. So here are the facts for people that understand the outdoors and these kinds of activities.

1. I was headed towards Leprechaun Canyon. I had the Tom Canyonnering site. One of the best Sites and information out there. I also had 2 guide book with a a map and pictures with me. With all of this I still manged to make it in the wrong canyon. This was my fault not anyone of the guide books.

2. I had a 200' rope with petzal Helmets for everyone with racks. I do not like ATC or Figure 8 (yes you can hate me for this) To do a canyon from multiple scores saying you just need a daisy chain or a hand line depending on what you read. I had my kids and I do not want them desenidng wihtout a belay.

3. I had 1 gallon of water for a 3-5 hour hike. I also had 2 pro meal bars. 5 cliff type bars and 3 snickers candy bar. Again for a 3-5 hour hike.

4. I made sure that the drops we right before I commuted to the canyon by making sure that the drops where the correct height and the canyon pictures looked right in the guild books.

5. I am a avoid outsdoorsman like many many people of this site. Many of you know what know what canyoneering is rock climbing etc. Most of the general public does not have a clue. As a community we know how important it is to have a self-rescue plan. I have been caving for 14 years going 2-5 times a month. I have done canyoneering, Hiking, rock climbing all over the west. I have never had anything like this or close to this even happen. I appreciate most of you comments. We can all learn from this. It goes back to the basics which are

1. Know where you are going
    2. Plan ahead.
    3. Take food and water even though some guild books say not too.
    4. Tell people where you are going and when you will be back
    5. Have a self rescue plan that will go into affect without your help a fail safe switch.

One more thing. Some one mentioned about the affect of having so much attention to this canyon. I agree with your worries. I do want anyone to go there and get hurt or killed but we all know that this will probably happen. Some young hot shot will try it and we all know what will probably happen. We can see this in Blue John and in many caves in the west when some one gets hurt or killed visitation sky rockets.

For the record there where three places I never want to go or do.

One is cave diving. One small mistake your dead.

Two is the hydrogen sulphate cave that floods from the back and the front randomly. If the water does not get you the hydrogen sulphate will kill you in 30-45 minutes. (Hydrogen sulfate seeps in you sink)

Three is Sandthrax. No other canyon has so much high angle steaming and just dangerous as this one. One slip and that is it. A 50'-80' fall into a crack where you will get stuck and die. Do not think that you can conquer it it is not wroth it. There are 1000's of other canyon that are around that can "test you" that do not have such high odds of getting hurt or killed.

I have rambled enough here. I thought I owned this to the community or outdoors-man to address some of the more technical questions that you had. I thank you for your support.

Jason Knight

20. Likes Sombeech, PG Rob liked this post
    Jason,

Thank you for posting.

How did you misnavigate? I assume that you started from Sandthrax Campground? Fro there, leprechaun and sandthrax are in completely different directions.

On the Fox interview, you said you reached the end of the canyon. Having been through Sandthrax, I suspect this is inaccurate. How far did you actually go in the canyon?

Were you physically stuck, or merely stopped by obstacles you could not pass?

Thank you again for posting.

We all look forward to more information.

Caverknight; thanks for responding.

4. I made sure that the drops we right before I commuted to the canyon by making sure that the drops where the correct height and the canyon pictures looked right in the guild books.
    I think this is where many of us are wondering what happened. East Fork Lep and Sandthrax are opposite directions from each other when doing the approach from the bottom (the heads of each canyon are over a mile apart). Did you do the approach from the bottom or a car shuttle from the top?

I'm just curious in hearing what happened rather than wanting to chastise you or anything.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caverknight View Post
    Hello Everyone

I just want to thank everyone here that helped out here. As some of you know the news sometimes get facts wrong and spins them. So here are the facts for people that understand the outdoors and these kinds of activities.

Jason Knight
    Thanks for the update, Jason.

I'd say, after making a bad mistake, you handled things quite well. Love the "three hour tour" comment...

Tom

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Caverknight; thanks for responding.

I think this is where many of us are wondering what happened. East Fork Lep and Sandthrax are opposite directions from each other when doing the approach from the bottom (the heads of each canyon are over a mile apart). Did you do the approach from the bottom or a car shuttle from the top?

I'm just curious in hearing what happened rather than wanting to chastise you or anything.

It is not an easy thing to get to Sandthrax from the top.

The start of the canyons, the commitment points, are quite different, and would not have matched the description. This is the most perplexing part to understand for a well-prepared and savvy person such as Jason, but our brains don't always latch on to the obvious.

I know a bolt has appeared at the top of Sandthrax, and my raving/biased opinion is that having a bolt there makes it possible for people to say "look, there is a bolt, this must be one of the canyons that people do all the time". We hope to remove the bolt soon; and I would encourage SandThraxers to also remove any webbing they leave at that first rappel as well.

Tom

25. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    My wife and I are the concerned citizens who contacted the authorities concerning this rescue. None of the news articles mentioned that we had called actually called this in to the rangers at Glen Canyon on Thursday, approximately 30 hours after the family departed. Not the proper jurisdiction, I know, but we didn't have cell service and were headed to the Hite area for the afternoon anyway. Since we were camped at the Irish Canyons trailhead, we knew that s&r had not been called out that night. When we got cell service the next day, we again contacted the GC rangers who then had the Garfield Co sheriff call us. He later called us back and gave us a number for his deputy in Boulder who we contacted. By this time it was 6pm on Friday. We had left the area at this point and were camped in the Swell. At this point, it sounded like the wheels were in motion for a rescue. Nothing against s&r, but it seems like this family could have been rescued 1 1/2 days sooner with a simple phone call to the family's residence. Anyway, I'm grateful that they were found alive and safe and kudos to s&r. I hope if I'm ever in that situation, someone will watch out for me.

27. Likes Sombeech, Mountaineer, Udink liked this post
    I started from the campground and thought that I was between Leprechaun and blarney canyon. The Fox interview was horrid they chop and pieced me together. The magic of editing. I got to the Crux of the canyon. The big silo. According to my information this is that last major thing before you walk out? I would love to know if this is true.

Thanks for looking out for us. It made things happen faster by many hours.