Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4/12/14 - Family Rescued from Sandthrax after 3 Days

Blog Entries

4/12/14 - Family Rescued from Sandthrax after 3 Days

Those darn canyoneers are at it again.....

FROM SL TRIBUNE:
    On 4/12/14.

"A Payson father and his sons were rescued Saturday after getting stuck at a Garfield County canyon.

Jason Knight, 35, and his 11 and 8-year-old sons entered Sandthrax Canyon — about midway between Canyonlands and Capitol Reef national parks — on Wednesday. That day, the father became trapped 350 feet down between the tight canyon walls, and told the boys to stay where they were — on a ledge at the top of the canyon — to prevent further incident, according to a Wayne County news release.

The boys had only a small amount of water and a granola bar between them. The water only lasted a day.

After the three failed to return Friday afternoon, as Knight told his wife they would, the search was on for the missing family, according to the release.

By Saturday morning, search teams from Garfield and Wayne counties, along with a Utah Department of Public Safety helicopter, were searching the canyon for them.

At 11:50 a.m., the helicopter crew spotted the two boys on the ledge. Search crews found their father half an hour later about 150 yards away.

By about 4:30 p.m., all three were safely rescued. The boys had cramps and were dehydrated, and the father appeared to be fine, according to the release.
    The Canyoneering USA website describes Sandthrax as a short, intense canyon."

More Info - HERE
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

...WTF?

I have to assume that this father did not know that he has dropping into Sandthrax. No sane person would attempt this with kids, but after this article maybe more families and weekend warriors will give sandthrax a go... after all, you dont really need rope skills.

I'm sure the story will come out.

I do have to say, hearing about this event bruised my forehead from the facepalm.

I like the reference to Canyoneering USA: Sandthrax is described "as a short, intense canyon". . . that is a bit of a oversimplification and understatement. Tom, I hope you don't get sued

Be safe out there guys.

4. Likes rnelson liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by summitseeker View Post
    ...WTF?

I like the reference to Canyoneering USA: Sandthrax is described "as a short, intense canyon". . . that is a bit of a oversimplification and understatement. Tom, I hope you don't get sued

Be safe out there guys.
    It's only misleading if you take it out of context. Since its sandwiched in between lots of descriptions about how hard it is and that i was even considered impossible for a while then its his own fault, assuming of course that Sandthrax was his intended target and he didn't just drop into the wrong one on accident.

Utah man, sons rescued from canyon after 3-day ordeal
    April 12, 2014, by Mark Green,

GARFIELD COUNTY, Utah – A man and his two sons were rescued after they had been missing in Sandthrax Canyon for at least three days.

Jason Knight and his two sons arrived in Hanksville Tuesday; Knight is from Payson and had come to the area to camp.

According to a press release from Wayne County officials, authorities were contacted Friday after a woman called to say she had seen a man and two boys enter the canyon with a day pack, and she said after three days they had still not returned to their camp.

Crews first located the overdue party’s car, and Saturday just before noon a Department of Public Safety helicopter found the two boys on a ledge at the top of the canyon. About 30 minutes later, the man was found 150 yards away. He was about 350 feet down toward the bottom of the canyon and had been trapped by the tight canyon walls.

Crews said the boys hadn’t seen their father since Wednesday when he told them to stay put to avoid further trouble. The boys had consumed all of their water Wednesday and had one granola bar to share.

The boys were extracted at about 1:45 p.m. Saturday and the father by about 4:26 p.m. The extractions were carried out by the high angle rescue team from Wayne County Sheriff’s Office.

Officials said the boys were dehydrated but otherwise OK. There were no serious injuries among the family.

According to the press release: “Wayne County Sheriff’s Office would like to express their appreciation to all those who assisted with these rescue efforts. Garfield County Sheriff, Utah Department of Public Safety, and our own Wayne County Sheriff’s Search & Rescue.”

Name:  sandthrax-canyon-rescue.jpg
Views: 2383
Size:  81.7 KB

I assume the family entered Sandthrax by mistake.... but I do have some concern over how Sandthrax is sometimes portrayed as a short romp for the skilled. I can only assume it is done to boost the image of those making the comments. Sandthrax is the same serious canyon it has always been and the crux is considered by some to be the most difficult crux of any Colorado Plateau canyon. No matter what else is said, mistakes in Sandthrax are not easy to overcome and could be deadly.

8. Likes bowjunkie, rnelson, CanyonBarbie liked this post
    Wow, seems like there is a rescue every week! Does anybody know how many rescues we've had so far in 2014? I'm sure we could count them on bogley...

I guess I just jumped to the conclusion that it was their target because of the line at the end from quoting Tom's site, but that was probably just something the author of the article put in.
    Last edited by TommyBoy; 04-12-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling

It's just canyoneering, how hard could it be, right?

People are so clueless.

Sheesh

LNT

I have to agree (and hope!) and assume that they dropped in by mistake.

The quote at the end of the article reads:
    The Canyoneering USA website describes Sandthrax as a short, intense canyon
    That ought to say something like, "Sandthrax is a deadly vixen that will turn you into a squashed, broken canyoneer at your first mistake."

I feel bad for the kids, that must have been terrifying, I bet that's the last time they agree to go hiking with dad again. Glad everyone is ok.

13. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rnelson View Post
    I feel bad for the kids, that must have been terrifying, I bet that's the last time they agree to go hiking with dad again. Glad everyone is ok.
    I agree. Poor kids... That was a LONG ordeal without food and water.

Whoa. I bet the 8 and 11 year old were really scared having to stand or sit there alone for three days. Glad they were found.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Terrible ordeal for all.... imagine being the father stuck in the slot with your young children above and there is not a damn thing you can do to save anyone... totally helpless... that is a father's worst nightmare.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

4/12/14 - Family Rescued from Sandthrax after 3 Days

"Mr. Knight is an experienced in climbing,caving, and canyoneering. He did follow your prescribed list. His time table did expire and the proper authorities where notified promptly. Knight brings almost twice as much gear as needed. He just found a spot where his body shape didn't match the shape of the canyon; his boys are experienced enough to have gotten themselves to a save location and they followed their dad's instructions. We are grateful to have them home!"

This was posted in the comments on ksl. If this guy really knows the story and they were in the right canyon he needs to pick a new sport.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

18. Likes CanyonBarbie liked this post
    .. that is a father's worst nightmare.
    There is also the nightmare of having to face the wife afterwards.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

20. Likes Don, bowjunkie, deagol liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    This was posted in the comments on ksl. If this guy really knows the story and they were in the right canyon he needs to pick a new sport.
    And Child Protective Services needs to arrange a little talk.

I know Jason from caving. I won't try and speculate too much on how/why they ended up there until I hear a direct answer. (Already multiple conflicting stories on news sites.) But from what I've seen about the canyon in researching this morning (Climb-utah and others), there is no way he intentionally took his kids to a canyon that intense and expected to go very far. Tight spots don't bother him. But last I checked, he doesn't like heights much even when on rope. And he would not expect his kids to be able to bridge and do technical moves on that level. My guess is just exploring and poking around in a new area, maybe scouting for future trip. Definitely not expecting anything that intense with kids along.

Based on the KSL comments, the following are the best ways I can see to know that someone is a skilled and experienced canyoneer:

1: They take twice the necessary gear into Sandthrax... because we all know (those that have done Sandthrax) you just can't have enough gear. In fact, I wish I took 10 times the gear that is needed (you can't be too safe). Additionally, I am going to start doing this while mountaineering too. From now on, I will take 2 sleeping bags, an extra tent, a few extra pair of crampons, 1000 feet of rope, 4 helmets, etc... (again, you can't be too safe).

2: They are so awesome, that they can take young children into places less skilled and experienced canyoneers won't go.

3: They know how and where to find those secret spots in canyons where the canyons shape does not match their own shape. Additionally, they recognize this is nature, you can't change it, and the best thing to do is go straight into those places rather than climb over or under them.

4: If they have been climbing or caving before, they are probably an awesome canyoneer, since all you really do is hike and slide down ropes.

5: They are in the know on who to have their family call to bail them out. The good news with this is most SAR personnel have nothing better to do with their time or money than to go out to see the skilled and experienced canyoneers in the canyon environment.

6: They are so good that they don't need to bother with navigation or knowing which canyon they are in. That is for those less skilled and experienced than them.

7: Lastly, the skilled and experienced canyoneer will make sure his friends and family know of his/her skill and why they are so skilled and experienced. This way, they can defend their reputation when they are away or occupied in a deep canyon somewhere.

In summary, I have learned a lot in what I need to do to be a more skilled and experienced Canyoneer. I just hope I'm not the only one learning from this experience. Please evaluate this list carefully to assess your overall skill and experience.

Thank You!

Quick update from a friend - The father and son's intended to do East Fork of Leprechaun and somehow ended up in Sandthrax. The father will be interviewed tomorrow morning on Good Morning America.

Or at least that is what I have been told.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Quick update from a friend - The father and son's intended to do East Fork of Leprechaun and somehow ended up in Sandthrax.
    This makes some sense. I can't believe any responsible father would take his two young kids there on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Quick update from a friend - The father and son's intended to do East Fork of Leprechaun and somehow ended up in Sandthrax. The father will be interviewed tomorrow morning on Good Morning America.

Or at least that is what I have been told.
    So will there be a second "Ralston affect" now with the mainstream exposure on TV? ... just what we need.

27. Likes CanyonBarbie liked this post