Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 4/12/14 - Family Rescued from Sandthrax after 3 Days

Glad you guys are okay. It's easy to criticize from the comfort of my cubicle here at work. We all make mistakes sometimes. But one thing that I always do is to have two competent 'leaders'. If i drop down into something, and run into trouble I have another one up top to aid in self rescue or go for help. Especially if I have my kids. I personally wouldn't even do Leprechaun with just me and two kids, in case I got injured and they're left without someone that knows what they're doing. This goes for caves, canyons etc.

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction, ratagonia liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Caverknight View Post
    Yup that is what happened i was comparing toms map to another may in a guild book and was off by one ridge.
    My beta shows an access route between Barney and Leprechaun.

I always warn people to find someone's beta you like and stick with it when you can. Mixing and matching beta has resulted in several rescues I know of. One being in Heaps. It's alright to review all available beta. But when you set out pick one version and stick with it.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

5. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jumar View Post

I personally wouldn't even do Leprechaun with just me and two kids, in case I got injured and they're left without someone that knows what they're doing. This goes for caves, canyons etc.
    Good advice. Although I would say it also depends on the minor. I would take my then 13 year old son over another adult. His tech skills, canyon experience, and cognitive thought process match or exceed many adults.

Quote Originally Posted by jumar View Post
    I personally wouldn't even do Leprechaun with just me and two kids,
    Been there... done that.... multiple times.

The first time through Leprechaun my daughter was 5. Second time I took both kids when they were 5 and 7. Done it a few more times since than along with numerous other canyons (Subway, Quandary Direct, Keyhole, Echo, Dragon Fly, Zero-G are just a few that come to mind). Honestly I consider the car ride down on highway 6 to be more dangerous than East Fork of Leprechaun.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with taking young kids through technical canyons by myself. My only condition is I usually only take kids through technical slots I have done previously so I know the details. I will skip this requirement if the beta is provided by certain trusted individuals,

8. Likes ratagonia, 2065toyota, Mountaineer liked this post
    I personally wouldn't even do Leprechaun with just me and two kids, in case I got injured and they're left without someone that knows what they're doing. This goes for caves, canyons etc.
    Good advice. Although I would say it also depends on the minor. I would take my then 13 year old son over another adult. His tech skills, canyon experience, and cognitive thought process match or exceed many adults.
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with taking young kids through technical canyons by myself.
    I do worry if I got hurt, but now that my son is older I think he could get through without me. Still, I've never gone without another adult yet.

I guess the biggest question to ask is "if I get hurt, can I send the kid(s) for help without me"? If the answer is no, I'd worry.

More than age, if there aren't more adults along, they should be able to read a map and to rappel on their own, if necessary. Hopefully that never happens.

I guess I might make an exception if it was a day trip and someone was waiting for me that knew where we were.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

10. Likes deagol, Byron, Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    ...... people who saw a video or pictures on Facebook and thought that canyoneering looked "sick" or "tight".
    LNT

but it IS tight...

Thanks for stopping by and sharing caverknight! Huge props to you!

Yeah Caverknight, don't worry about it...you just had a major brain fart. Anyone busting you chops over this is just being a jerk. We've all done it... an honest, stupid mistake. Count your lucky stars that it all worked out OK. And dude, brush up on your map reading skills!!!
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Trail Master
    9,500' on a foot hill, of a 14er Above the town of Evergreen Co
    For the record no one has died in Sandthrax to my knowledge, hell no one has even been seriously injured. That bolt could have an effect in changing that for sure, who the hell is bolting canyons? Also for your record, there are much harder and more committing canyons than Sandthrax of which most people should really avoid. Luckily they are harder to find and reside in a block of hard canyons not easily mistaken for something easy. For all the people worried about access, it's not the people who intentionally go into these canyons you have to worry about so much (for the most part...) it's the hiking crowd that you have to worry about. Someone ought to etch a skull and cross bones where the bolt is upon removal (only semi joking, something should be done in the form of a small warning at the head, nothing like the black hole mind you). To think I felt funny about putting all those warnings and disclaimers on that video... I guess to an extent it's like proximity flying, when you see the pro's do it you can think it looks fun and easy but when you do your homework you realize its only from a ton of experience that these people make it look so easy (not that what happened this time has anything to do with that but I figured it's worth mentioning to any future prospectives).

15. Likes MrAdam liked this post
    Thanks for sharing your story, Caverknight!

Hmmm...as one who's not bolt averse....yeah, that bolt at the head of the canyon...hmmm. I'm not big into "requiring" the high skill start by either adding or removing hardware, but, it is a bit of a siren call to have a bolt folks can rappel into the canyon from. Yank that thing.

I dunno. As someone who did the East Fork of Lep sight unseen with a partner who also hadn't been there...I guess I would have balked at descending a canyon that didn't match the info we had. But, its also easy to have your head down and go. Sot canyons requiring a rope descent, even as just back ups for down climbs...makes me think an able partner is fairly required, or, the ability to anchor and ascend if something doesn't smell right especially if you're essentially solo. Or, you're the gun for some lessor skilled folk.

Lessons learned. Glad it wasn't more serious.

Part of me winces every time I hear there's been a rescue. But, also...I'll have to admit...part of me thinks that its ok folks are out there enjoying the outdoors, too. And, some amount of rescue will come with that. And that's...ok.

Cheers and be safe!

17. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    With or without the bolt, one problem with Sandthrax is it has a pretty easy and inviting start. A simple rappel, a little downclimbing through some beautiful swirling sandstone, a little high stemming but nothing much..... and then you suddenly pass the point of no return and the canyon gets mean and ugly is a real hurry. The slot kinda sucks you in and if you are not prepared you quickly find yourself in over your head.

The second problem with Sandthrax is the head of the slot is located 10 minutes from the bedroom of canyoneering paradise.

19. Likes rnelson liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by forum8fox View Post
    Someone ought to etch a skull and cross bones where the bolt is upon removal (only semi joking, something should be done in the form of a small warning at the head, nothing like the black hole mind you).
    For the record, signage like you mention was recently installed in the Squeeze Fork of Bluejohn Canyon because of the high number of Search and Rescues.

Name:  bluejohn_signage2.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  144.4 KB

Name:  bluejohn_signage.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  37.8 KB

FWIW: The picture was stolen from the CAC website and the signage was part of their recent service project.

Jason,
    Glad you and your kids are alive. Thanks to the all volunteer Wayne County SAR, those people are superheros.

When navigating the approach of a canyon for my fist time, I try to scour the internet for a picture of the first rappel or the head of the canyon. I then print out that picture and write in big letters on it "This is the headwall of _______ Canyon". This really helps to confirm where I am at before committing.

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    When navigating the approach of a canyon for my fist time, I try to scour the internet for a picture of the first rappel or the head of the canyon. I then print out that picture and write in big letters on it "This is the headwall of _______ Canyon".
    Or you could just use a GPS.

23. Likes Taylor, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    I did that. I think after poring over what I did wrong. (Getting down the wrong canyon) I think that the flaw was that I was looking at two much guide book maps and photos and ultimately though I was starting at a different place than what I was at. I was in the campground I went up the wrong drainage. Followed too many "you are looking for" . . . this the drop is this long here is a pic that look like they same as everywhere else.

I do not usually take my boys to some where that I have not been but Leprechaun is known to be friendly. I have had friends go down and tell me about it. All the beta tells me that it was ok. This is why I choose this place. low flash flood potential, only three short drops a easy hike back by lunch. Easy access. another fun hike right next door. A easy week for spring break.

25. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Forcing the map or beta to fit the landscape is a very common mistake in navigation. On my maps that I print out for travel, I will mark easily identifiable landmarks, the distances between them, and the altitude of them. That also makes for easier reading on the go. Being familiar with the time to travel distances on different terrains is also beneficial. I find myself automatically pace counting, and this helps me stay on track. Walk with the map in hand or readily available and check your progress often. It is much easier keep track of where you are on the map rather then to try and figure out where you think you are.

Or you could do like Rex and use a GPS. I find it part of the fun of canyoneering NOT to use one. YMMV.

Glad everyone made it out safe and sorry if I was too judgmental earlier.

27. Likes Byron liked this post
    Or you could just use a GPS.
    My buddy moved to Denver and used a GPS device in his car to navigate. After six months of living there he still didn't know his way around the city AT ALL, I mean we'd go out and he'd have no idea where he was at any given time.
    It's because instead of navigating by becoming orientated with his surroundings, he followed dots on a glowing screen for six months.
    What if the GPS fails?

I did that. I think after poring over what I did wrong...
    I didn't mean to place blame or to imply that failing to bring a picture was a big part of what you did wrong.
    I made the comment because when reading these threads people are (hopefully) thinking "how can I avoid this happening to me next time I go out?" and I thought it was a worthwhile suggestion because in the past, for me, pulling out a picture and locating certain cracks or bushes or fallen rocks or even finding the exact spot where the picture was taken, has been very helpful for confirming my whereabouts.

A comment about SAR and GPS but first I also want to wish Jason and his boys well and congratulations for surviving the ordeal.

Regarding SAR, the idea that counties or teams are being overworked or responding to too many rescues is not coming from the team members, I can almost guarantee. We are either willing volunteers or paid law enforcement. Both groups know exactly what is being committed to when joining. For myself and those I have met, its very rewarding (I'll even say fun) to get to use our training, gear and experience to help people. One of my favorite quotes from WFR: "we don't want anyone to get hurt, we just want to be there when they do."

Regarding GPS, It is baffling to me that anyone ever gets lost anymore. There is so much info available about these places we go, so many tools available, it is inexcusable to end up somewhere unintended. GPS apps are on all smart phones and dedicated units are inexpensive and easy to learn how to operate. I understand the attitude or idea that it's more fun/challenging to use a map and compass but not the idea that GPS isn't reliable enough as some on here have suggested. Carry some extra damn batteries and put a couple of critical waypoints in there and you'll never be lost again.

Sorry for the rant, I guess.

30. Likes Sandstone Addiction, jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Regarding GPS, It is baffling to me that anyone ever gets lost anymore. There is so much info available about these places we go, so many tools available, it is inexcusable to end up somewhere unintended. GPS apps are on all smart phones and dedicated units are inexpensive and easy to learn how to operate. I understand the attitude or idea that it's more fun/challenging to use a map and compass but not the idea that GPS isn't reliable enough as some on here have suggested. Carry some extra damn batteries and put a couple of critical waypoints in there and you'll never be lost again.

Sorry for the rant, I guess.
    Even with the GPS you can still do the map and compass thing if you want. Just take the GPS with you and turn it on when you think you are at the head of the canyon/point of no return. If you're there well you still got there by map and if you're not there you have saved yourself from a whole lot of trouble.

32. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Regarding SAR, the idea that counties or teams are being overworked or responding to too many rescues is not coming from the team members, I can almost guarantee.
    Over worked is not the problem. The problem in the rural counties is funding all the SAR's, and that is directly from the team members and their commander's.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

34. Likes ratagonia liked this post