Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: BLM controversy in Southern Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Boom! This is a huge setback for the Fed's.

Jury refuses to convict 4 in Nevada ranch standoff retrial
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=45510596&nid=151
    So, you have changed your tune?

There is no controversy. ... The cattle rancher Bundy is nothing but a thief stealing over one million dollars from you and me by not paying his federal grazing fees. He should be in prison and his cattle sold at auction to pay for his past due bills.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

How did I change my tune? Yesterdays verdict was a huge setback for the Feds, plain and simple. That is nothing but a statement of fact.

4. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Cliven Bundy emerges free, defiant after Nevada case tossed

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=46232602&nid=157

Federal prosecutors overstepped their boundaries in this case, plain and simple. The quote at the bottom of the article says it all.."violent and racist anti-government movement"... what a joke, and THAT'S what the environmentalists want you to believe. The federal government has been overstepping boundaries for decades, without any checks and balances. Yes, there were some militia and whacks at the demonstration, but in the end it falls back on how the feds handled this whole incident. Everyone in this country is entitled to due process, something that was taken away from Bundy. We should all be very scared of how the federal government oversteps their boundaries at the desire to promote a political agenda. I am a strong supporter of local law enforcement and city and county prosecutors, but when I see some of the stuff the federal government gets away with, it makes me realize they certainly don't play by the same rules, and if you are in their crosshairs...look out. I am actually glad to see a judge had the presence of mind to hold the prosecutors accountable for a change. For him to chastise them in the manner he did, there were some glaringly prejudiced issues that arose...things that may have been overlooked in decades past.
    Mountain guy trapped in the wetlands of Florida.

7. Likes Sandstone Addiction, rockgremlin liked this post
    Wow I've almost completely forgotten about this. I thought that was the guy they shot and killed

Quote Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
    Federal prosecutors overstepped their boundaries in this case, plain and simple. The quote at the bottom of the article says it all.."violent and racist anti-government movement"... what a joke, and THAT'S what the environmentalists want you to believe. The federal government has been overstepping boundaries for decades, without any checks and balances.
    What environmentalists?

BLM was attempting to enforce the rules on land they manage...? How's that over stepping?

BLM has tons of checks and balances...not sure what you're talking about.

This thing could gone super sideways...ala Waco. Thank goodness a vehicle didn't backfire...

Fugly situation to be sure.

Isn't there still a new monument down that way....? Eeek.

Unfriendly folks at best.

10. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    What environmentalists?

BLM was attempting to enforce the rules on land they manage...? How's that over stepping?
    It shouldn't be forgotten that environmentalist DeChristopher got two years in Federal prison for bidding on oil leases he never intended to pay. What Bundy did was far worse. The Fed are just as tough, or tougher on environmentalists than anyone else.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    What environmentalists?

BLM has tons of checks and balances...not sure what you're talking about.

This thing could gone super sideways...ala Waco. Thank goodness a vehicle didn't backfire...

Fugly situation to be sure.

Isn't there still a new monument down that way....? Eeek.

Unfriendly folks at best.
    Those checks and balances were broken, ala dan love...
    Court records showed that the blm had snipers positioned above the bundy ranch days prior to the standoff.

I won't jump on the bundy bandwagon, I believe they were wrong on the grazing issue but completely justified in the standoff.
    the blm has no right being in the armed military business, imo.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Those checks and balances were broken, ala dan love...
    Court records showed that the blm had snipers positioned above the bundy ranch days prior to the standoff.

I won't jump on the bundy bandwagon, I believe they were wrong on the grazing issue but completely justified in the standoff.
    the blm has no right being in the armed military business, imo.
    Well...not that broken...Love was fired. Just took a while before those checks and balances caught up with him...

BLM law enforcement...I'll have to say I've heard some pretty grim stories...(and a funny one from an Idaho State Park manager who busted a BLM guy on "his" turf). My personal experience with them has been very good.

Just like game warden, not a job I'd want. Lotta whackos out there on public land...

14. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Somewhat related:

I come from a long line of farmers and ranchers, but it does seem that some of them get off easy when it comes to following rules that others have to follow. Obviously farming/ranching is one of the most important, or perhaps the most important of all industries; but it does seem that some of them are held to a lower standard.

On my last construction project, a rancher was caught but not punished for intentionally releasing concrete waste into the nearby creek. If it the construction company that did it, heads would fly. Construction companies are fined big time for being out compliance with water quality laws.

In the county I live in, a ranch hand drove a 15 ton tractor on a bridge rated to and clearly posted with a capacity of 3 tons. He didn't quite make it.

The county had to wait for four years in order to get the taxpayer funds to repair the bridge, which is finally planned to be fixed since funds have finally been secured. It is a 1.5 hour detour to cross the river without the bridge. The rancher only had a small fine that is only a drop in the bucket when it comes to repairing the bridge.

Why shouldn't the ranch rather than the taxpayers pay for the damage to the bridge?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post

Why shouldn't the ranch rather than the taxpayers pay for the damage to the bridge?
    The rancher should be responsible for the costs involved in damaging property.

I would say, overall, that the many ranchers I know are great stewards of the land, they can't afford not to be.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Update
    https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...-bars-retrial/

Judge throws out case against Bundys, bars retrial with stunning rebuke to federal prosecutors

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk