Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which shoes

note: traction of ANY rubber is affected by temperature. Too hot? rubber gets soft and can pill underfoot (mainly on very hard rock). Too cold? rubber gets hard and skates. I haven't noticed that Sportiva rubber is generally more affected by cold than other rubbers, but it is true that their consistency has been way off in the past. One batch of their rubber in particular was really bad, but that was about 8 yrs ago.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by french_de View Post
    After many years of happy 5.10 Canyoneer use I tried out a pair of of Salewa wildfires in Maidenwater this past weekend. They are a comfortable shoe, the stickiness isn't quite on the C4 stealth level but still very good grip and so far they seem like a pretty tough shoe. No ankle support with the low riding shoe but they do come with two sizes of inner soles - normal and wider.
    I wanted to second the recommendation for Salewa Wildfire. I purchased them recently on the basis of bootboy's post (here? or more probably at that other canyoneering forum). They are an approach shoe, and on a scale of 1-10 for stickiness (with 10 = 5.10 canyoneers), bootboy rated them a 7-8, and french_de "very good." With socks, I normally wear a size 10, but I bought a 10.5 on the recommendation of some online reviewers. I think I could probably get by in a 10, but the 10.5 fits me well too. I normally have a size D for width, and my foot feels comfortable with the smaller (= shorter) iof the two insoles provided. If you want or need a narrower fit, use the longer of the two insoles.

Try to get them on sale. The average price on Amazon for most sizes is ~$106.00. I got lucky and got a pair through Amazon from a retailer for $78.00 (and free shipping since fulfilled by Amazon). Again, I agree with bootboy--I hadn't tried them in a canyon yet, but they look like they would be fairly durable. Of course, avoid the GTX version unless you enjoy walking in water (not the same as walking on water).

Quote Originally Posted by townsend View Post
    they look like they would be fairy durable.
    X2

You can simply check out a hiking boot list like this or browse through Amazon's website, but I'd really look for a few lists with hiking shoes or boots whatever you want to call them and see reviews by other people that have used them.
    The one I gave you is fairly thorough, but it was the first one I found on google by looking up hiking boots, there might be others that are longer or giving more information.