Thread: 3 locations for canyoneering in Capitol Reef National Park SLTribune, 040814

3 locations for canyoneering in Capitol Reef National Park SLTribune, 040814

CAPITOL REEF NATIONAL PARK

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lame reporting.... They didn't even manage to get one of the three best slots in Capitol Reef on their list.

Fluff piece or free advertising

Both.

They didn't even manage to get one of the three best slots in Capitol Reef on their list.
    Which are the three?

Pandoras, Poe, Burro, Cottonwood, or Fivemile perhaps?

Anyway, to be fair, the article does just say three places, rather than the three best places.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I hate when people write articles like this.... how long till a permit system ?

I thought guide services were not allowed to operate in national parks ???

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    I thought guide services were not allowed to operate in national parks ???
    Guiding inside a National Park is up to the individual park, some allow it and others do not.

hmm, thanks. So, apparently Capitol Reef allows it

Most allow it. It's only a few that don't.

Thousands of people are guided up places like Mount Rainier, Denali, Grand Teton, etc.

Even in places like Zion, guiding is allowed, just not for canyoneering and some other activities.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

true, Scott. I was thinking Arches & Zion. The parks you listed seem to have more a "need' due to their more serious terrain (not that these other parks don't have serious terrain). Hope that makes sense

3 locations for canyoneering in Capitol Reef National Park SLTribune, 040814

Guiding in parks nauseates me. I hate it when the groups of Exum clients are clogging up the Grand Teton. Then you have to listen to them on the summit talk about how much they know about all that shit after a 2 day course. They get a brief geology lesson and they won't stop talking like over-night experts on the stuff they had no clue existed until 2 days ago.

The folks on Rainier are just as bad. They stop and lecture you on safety because you're not doing things the way their guides taught them 3 hours ago. "That's not how you tie a kiwi coil" blah blah blah...

I rue the day that this criminal enterprise finds it's way into Zion. People paying $500 for a 2 trip through Imlay with a fancy dinner prepared in a big tent at the crossroads and sleeping on cots...

I was thinking Arches & Zion
    It's actually allowed there too, just not for technical stuff.

Random examples:

http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/namer/arc.html

http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/...on-hiking.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Guiding in parks nauseates me. I hate it when the groups of Exum clients are clogging up the Grand Teton. Then you have to listen to them on the summit talk about how much they know about all that shit after a 2 day course. They get a brief geology lesson and they won't stop talking like over-night experts on the stuff they had no clue existed until 2 days ago.

The folks on Rainier are just as bad. They stop and lecture you on safety because you're not doing things the way their guides taught them 3 hours ago. "That's not how you tie a kiwi coil" blah blah blah...

I rue the day that this criminal enterprise finds it's way into Zion. People paying $500 for a 2 trip through Imlay with a fancy dinner prepared in a big tent at the crossroads and sleeping on cots...
    Amen, and that story about Ranier is quite amusing

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    It's actually allowed there too, just not for technical stuff.

Random examples:

http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/namer/arc.html

http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/...on-hiking.html
    OMG , REI will hold your hand if you pay $$$ and want your hand held for a hike in a national park- the Emerald Pools Trail, no less ??

We have all been guided before. It might have been a commercial guide or a friend or parent.... but we have all been there....

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    We have all been guided before. It might have been a commercial guide or a friend or parent.... but we have all been there....

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    Money being the major difference

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Money being the major difference
    Yeah I see the difference.... I only guide for beer or sexual favors.... oh... and sometimes money :-)

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

17. Likes Taylor liked this post