Thread: Cheese Box Cedar Mesa...any recent Trip reports

Cheese Box Cedar Mesa...any recent Trip reports

I am new to the forums here so excuse me if this is in the wrong place. A group of friends and I will be heading for Cheese box, Short, and Duckit(spelling?) Canyon Easter weekend. Has anyone made it into these canyons yet this springs? How much water? Repels in good shape? etc?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If we answer these questions, you cannot use the word "adventure" to describe the trip.
    If, however, you just go prepared and figure it out, we will consider your use of the term "adventure".

Why does everyone have to know exactly what's going in before they go? Like it really makes a difference?

Sorry to badger you. But I just don't understand why everything has to be known about where you are headed. Just go and do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    I just don't understand why everything has to be known about where you are headed. Just go and do it.
    And then you get mad at them if they get in trouble and require help doing it?!?!?

sra1218 is brand new to the forum and you berate him right out the gate?!?!?

Lamest post ever!

Cheese Box Cedar Mesa...any recent Trip reports

Haha! Seriously? I'm here to initiate the unwashed.

The point is, know your shit and go prepared. If that's too much, reconsider your participation in NATURE. Geez, does everything have to be padded and sterilized?

BB doesn't research the current Heaps/Imlay conditions before going, I'm sure.

Sra1218, you are in the right place. Welcome to Bogley.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    BB doesn't research the current Heaps/Imlay conditions before going, I'm sure.

Sra1218, you are in the right place. Welcome to Bogley.
    The last time I did both of those canyons, I made no specific inquires about conditions. Someone may have posted something about them but my biggest indication of the conditions was watching the weather for the weeks leading up to the trip. Even if I asked, it's not going to affect my preparation. Im going prepared for whatever.

It's just seems like so many people who ask these questions are too scared to just go find out. What's the point? Is someone going to give you an answer that makes you reconsider it? Be honest with yourself, are you really going to be dissuaded from your planned route? Likely not. Asking so much about specifics just comes across to me as people looking for reasons to go less prepared. It makes me question their technical and problem solving skills.

What if you got an answer that lead you to exclude certain gear from your kit and you are unpleasantly surprised surprised to find out that you needed that gear after all? Then what? Oops! better call SAR cause I came unprepared and can't figure anything else out.

It's happened before.

This generation is becoming more and more dependent in having things spelled out and packaged for us. Takes the fun and the true adventure out of it.

8. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Ropes, rafts, and 4wd often take man into places he ought not to go.

Ropes, rafts, and 4wd often take man into places he ought not to go.

true, dat

Bootboy is just the forum downer! Don't listen to him (most of us just tune him out anyway. well... we try too anyway. )

Feel free to ask all the questions you want sra1218. Not all of us are as perfect at Bootboy is, and some of us like to know a bit about the adventure we are getting ourselves into before we go.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

12. Likes hikster11 liked this post
    If we answer these questions, you cannot use the word "adventure" to describe the trip.
    If, however, you just go prepared and figure it out, we will consider your use of the term "adventure".

Why does everyone have to know exactly what's going in before they go? Like it really makes a difference?

Sorry to badger you. But I just don't understand why everything has to be known about where you are headed. Just go and do it.
    Most of the time i'm in for what you call an "adventure," but this time we will have a large group including a ten year old kid. He has done plenty of canyoneering, but being prepared is just the SMART thing to do in this situation. I came here for insight. If all you can do is troll my post, take your opinions elsewhere.

14. Likes Scott Card, Kuya, Sombeech liked this post
    Welcome to Bogley. Looking for Trip Reports, Conditions and Beta is the RIGHT way to start your preparation.

I've never done Cheese Box, and if I were to plan on it, I'd definitely read all of the Trip Reports and Conditions reports I could.

Bootboy, seriously??? Sra1218 came here seeking answers to what I would consider legitimate questions. And Sra1218, you may want to check out Canyon Collective for a more friendly tone although Bootboy recently blasted someone there, too.

In my humble opinion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with seeking current beta on a canyon. I personally would appreciate knowing if an anchor is blown out or if the winter storms caused a new problem. Internet beta sites are not all created equally and are all not updated equally. I said over a decade ago that if I lived in the times of Columbus, I would have been the second boat over to the America using Columbus' beta. Some like you enjoy just going in "prepared". Like Sra1218, part of my preparation is to get information, as much as possible before I go in so that I can properly prepare. Sra1218's questions were just that, requests for information to go in prepared and I imagine to cut down on a little stress. Yes, I have extra of just about everything when I canyoneer. Yes, I was in the group several years ago that lugged over 1100 feet of rope through Heaps the first time we did it "just in case". Do the site a favor and lighten up a bit on people. We have enough keyboard courage around here and you have enough experience to be helpful if you choose. I have appreciated your helpful comments.
    Life is Good

17. Likes hikster11, Taylor, Kuya liked this post
    sra1218 - absolutely agree with you. Feel free to ask q's and ignore the sanctimonious lectures. If a Forum isn't a place to place to ask for a little advice, information or help, then of what use is the forum?

19. Likes Slot Machine, hikster11, Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    sra1218 - absolutely agree with you. Feel free to ask q's and ignore the sanctimonious lectures. If a Forum isn't a place to place to ask for a little advice, information or help, then of what use is the forum?
    I have access to the climb utah circle of friends. So, as far as "technical" information goes, we have a starting point. I'm mostly curious if this canyon has been done yet this spring, and if anyone on here had specifically done it?

Com'on Bootboy.... no need to be an asshat.

Hell, I'm the guy that originally wrote much of the canyon beta being used and I always ask questions before a return trip. It's nice to know if you really need to pack wet suits or if 4x4 is currently need to cross White Canyon.

sra1218 welcome to the forum, you have found by far the largest collection of Colorado Plateau canyoneers on the internet. Post a TR and some pics when you return from your adventure.

22. Likes Slot Machine, hikster11 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    And Sra1218, you may want to check out Canyon Collective for a more friendly tone ...
    I just love it when fat girls call themselves voluptuous.

It's just seems like so many people who ask these questions are too scared to just go find out. What's the point?
    (friendly tone)

The point is to have as much fun as possible, right? Therefore, being "too scared to just go find out" is an unlikely motive. Sra "looking for reasons to go less prepared" seems wildly imaginative.

So, why dial the level of adventure to a "10" every time, when many days a "4" is far more fun?

Example: A few weeks ago in Ticaboo, the weather suddenly cooled off in the middle of the trip. The wind also picked up quite a bit.

The cold windy conditions made any wet canyon seem very unpleasant. So, I emailed a couple friends that had been down there in the previous 48 hours. They told me which canyons were full and which ones were dry.

Then we selected some dry canyons for the rest of the trip and had a very fun time.

Scared? Underprepared? Nope.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

24. Likes Taylor, ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by sra1218 View Post
    I am new to the forums here so excuse me if this is in the wrong place. A group of friends and I will be heading for Cheese box, Short, and Duckit(spelling?) Canyon Easter weekend. Has anyone made it into these canyons yet this springs? How much water? Repels in good shape? etc?
    SRA1218,
    If you're still watching this thread, I didn't see anyone mention another source you can check for recent beta. It's www.candition.com. In your case, you would look under Cedar Mesa, however, in checking myself, I did not see any 2014 beta - only 2013. Nevertheless, I always check there and regularly post to it as well for the benefit of others. You may also want to try contacting Jared Hillhouse of North Wash Outfitters. he sometimes takes groups through some of those canyons and may have some recent reports.
    Welcome to the forum.

26. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Good to see that the tradition I started of snarky answers to the most innocent of questions continues into eternity! Thanks Taylor.

(Me too. Why ask? You kinda need to be ready for whatever conditions the canyon can throw at you...)

Thanks everyone. I've definitely learned everyone has a clearly different opinion of what being prepared entails :p I've been on plenty of adventures where the unknown factors held a lot of value in the overall adventure, but as i stated earlier a large group of us will be descending the Canyons, including a ten year old. He has done nearly 15 to 20 canyons, so he can hold his own . Keeping him motivated and feeling safe plays a huge factor in the overall success of the trip. Thanks again everyone else for the tips, and I can't wait for this trip!

29. Likes Sombeech liked this post