Thread: A Few Robbers Roost Items

A Few Robbers Roost Items

Just got back from a trip to the Roost. Looking to go again this weekend to the High Spur region while the area is so dry. Anyone interested?

A few items from this weekend for your consideration:

1) Lost Springs Canyon is able to be completed strictly with downclimbing, no rope needed, by an experienced downclimber. That's how I did it Friday. I'd still bring a rope every time, but it is do-able.
    2) Bull Pasture is totally under-rated. A perfect 2-4 hour canyon to fit in at the end of the day after Larry or Alcatraz.
    3) Bull Pasture has a nice alternate exit or two if you don't want to do the big rappel and long hike out (nor the ascending route), located somewhere around here: UTM 12N 550052,4234877, or N 38

2. Likes ratagonia liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

For those interested in road conditions:
    We found several of the main roads in the Roost to have been recently bladed, therefore, in much better shape than we often find. (This includes access to Alcatraz/Larry and Mindbenders.) Roughest section of washboards is from east end of Texas hill to the Kiosk. South from the Kiosk, roads in great shape at least to the turnoff for TCB.

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Just got back from a trip to the Roost. Looking to go again this weekend to the High Spur region while the area is so dry. Anyone interested?
    My wife and I are heading to the High Spur in a couple weeks and were interested in having some experienced company if possible, but it sounds like this timing wouldn't work for you. If you do go, it'd be fantastic if you could post on conditions for whatever you end up doing.

cuppajoe, pm sent.

I highly recommend the Big Spring Canyon NW fork if you are going to go to High Spur. Probably one of my favorite canyons. The anchor for the initial rappel is the biggest hurdle, which can be done from a dead man in the dryfall or using the big bush on the east side of the canyon. Just remove the webbing after you complete the canyon.
    Darin

I just did Big Spring Canyon NW. It is quite fun. All the Big Springs canyons are. There is a very nice jammed log set up for the first rappel anchor right now.

Laura and I did High Spur yesterday. The road out there is in good condition but definitely requires some skill and high clearance. The canyon has new webbing at all drops and is very dry. We only saw water in one place, ankle deep. Nice canyon, the "corkscrew section" was incredible and made it worth the trip out there.

10. Likes Udink liked this post