Thread: Bear Canyon 3.29.2014

Bear Canyon 3.29.2014

This is my first canyoneering trip report. I had a very interesting experience in Bear Canyon last weekend and wanted to share. Bear Canyon is located near the Mogollon Rim and feeds into West Clear Creek in central Arizona. It is supposed to be a short (2.8mi), yet challenging canyon with a very gorgeous section of narrows. I used the description provided by Todd Martin in AZ Technical Canyoneering to arrive at and navigate the canyon. It is a very good guide. My wife and I arrived at the parking lot (at the end of FR 143E) around 1PM and began our trip. It was about 70 degrees outside yet we knew the water would be cold in the canyon, but not sure just how cold. I had a full wetsuit and my wife just her shortie wetsuit (we would later realize that both of us were unprepared). Todd's book said to hike up the road for 15mins and then drop down into the canyon. Our 15 mins of hiking must have been at a much faster pace since we passed the spot we were supposed to head down and ended up getting a bit lost east of the entry point. Checking out the topographical map, we realized our mistake and eventually got back on track (added an extra 45+ mins to our trip time). From hiking through pine needles and small rocks/boulders for 30 mins, the canyon quickly narrows, becomes very chilly, and mossy. This canyon is a gem and completely took us by surprise once we found the technical narrows section. One can see many pools through the deep, dark, mysterious narrows lying ahead of an interesting downclimb atop a large boulder wedged in the narrows. Now that it was chilly, we put on our wetsuits and completed the downclimb. We soon came upon the 1st of 3 rappels; this one being only 15 feet and dry. It didn't give us much warning of what lied ahead. Soon thereafter we came to an ice sheet-covered pool of water. Reluctantly we both dove in and swam (while breaking up ice) about 20 feet to the other side which was just atop a waterfall and the start of the 2nd rappel. If it hadn't been for nearly freezing to death from the swim, this rappel would have been the highlight of the trip. We obviated rappelling into the deep end of this rappel and managed to get off rope in knee deep water. Soon after this we had arrived at the 3rd and final rappel. We were shocked to realize that we would soon be in about a 10+ feet deep pool who's exit was blocked by many logs. We would have to disconnect from the rope while wading in the pool and pull our rope down. We decided to double rope rappel so that we wouldn't have to wait long in the below freezing water. I was to go first and wait for my wife in the pool (I pretended not to be the coldest I've ever been in my life as to not frighten her from entering). We managed to complete this obstacle, but at the expense of mild hypothermia because of not bringing adequate clothing. A dry suit would have been required to complete this trip, and even then, not entirely comfortably! We didn't have caps and neoprene gloves. Will be buying those today to add to my gear!! After warming up, which seemed to be an eternity, we finally managed to continue on. To our dismay, we found yet ANOTHER pool with no chance of skipping. This was the longest yet. About a 50ft swim (and breaking up ice along the way), likely to take a good minute or 2 in below freezing water and already we were freezing. We knew that this swim could demobilize our arms and legs and perhaps prevent us from finishing the swim. We found a way to climb on the left of this pool and save ourselves about 25ft of swimming. Having NO other choice and darkness approaching, we had to jump in and literally swim for our lives! Almost near the end of the swim my wife lost her ability to move her arms and I had to push her out. Fortunately we made it out of the swim and more importantly, out of the narrows and into warm air. After collecting our wits, we continued out of Bear Canyon and into West Clear Creek where we finally were able to bask in the final minutes of sunlight. Twilight set in and we quickly found the trailhead up and out of the canyon to the parking lot and our car. I don't think we have ever been happier to see our car and gave thanks to still be alive!

This experience was miserable, but I think it has been the experience that has taught us the most about canyoneering. I've heard and read so many first hand accounts of other canyoneers with similar challenging experiences, but you always think that it won't happen to you! I will never go into a canyon again without more than adequate attire.

After finishing that canyon, I thought we had survived it and can move on with our lives! Bear Canyon is still laughing at me! I ended up touching some sort of poisonous plant which gave me a nasty rash on my face. It is not poison ivy, but the doctor couldn't figure out which plant caused it. So as I write this, I have a sunburn like rash on my face as a constant reminder that Canyoneering is a real life-threatening challenge. It is this challenge that draws me to it, but I should never become blind to its risks. As they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I am definitely stronger and smarter after having completed this trip. It sounds sadistic, but I don't regret this trip and the learning experience. Perhaps this knowledge will save my life next time. Can't wait for the next canyon!

Here are some photos from the trip
    Name:  20140329_154154.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  95.4 KB
    Name:  20140329_161250.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  68.1 KB
    Name:  20140329_161231.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  87.2 KB
    Name:  20140329_181938.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  77.9 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by canyonexplorer View Post
    It sounds sadistic, but I don't regret this trip and the learning experience. Perhaps this knowledge will save my life next time. Can't wait for the next canyon!
    I think you mean masochistic. I agree though, as bad as these close calls can be if you survive one, they can be one of the greatest learning experiences you can have. Not that you should want to have one.

Masochistic. Thanks for the correction :)

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Great learning experience (I hope), thanks for sharing it with us all.

One thing you can do on long swims with an almost-too-cold person is use the rope. You swim across trailing the rope, and they don't swim, they just hold onto the rope and you pull them across. Another advantage to this strategy is that YOU get quite warm from the exercise of pulling them across. They go across maybe 3X as fast as they could possible swim.

Polyester underwear works well under a wetsuit to boost the warmth. I think now you know why (almost) no one uses a shortee wetsuit for canyoneering!

Tom

That's a clever idea to use the rope. Thanks for sharing. Yea I think we'll retire the shortee.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by canyonexplorer View Post
    That's a clever idea to use the rope. Thanks for sharing. Yea I think we'll retire the shortee.

Shortee useful as a booster over a regular wetsuit.

Tom

Hey Tom. Very true. I'll note that I got alot of my gear including my Hyperflex wetsuit from your store CanyoneeringUSA. I'll be getting another for my wife and probably the xspan hooded vest as well.

9. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Lucky for you Bear canyon is rather short. A few years back I convinced a friend to come with us through Bear canyon. She didn't have a wetsuit so I let her use mine and I went through without one (in September). Reading your trip report brought back the memory of how cold I was.

Tom, in the case above wondering if you could review the cold water attire (assume 35-40F water).

I have never tried the polyester underwear, but like the idea. Just wondering why once it is wet the warming properties don't become ineffective.
    Assuming a wetsuit is what I have to work with, thinking 7 mm wetsuit, 4 or 5 mm neoprene gloves, 5 mm neoprene socks and 5/3 neoprene hood. I understand everyone is different, but does this sound in the area code of reasonable?
    I seem to recall you or others suggesting a playtex dishwashing glove under a atlas themafit glove for the raps. Is that enough warmth for these really cold swims?
    Anything else to maximize preparation.
    At what point do you recommend a dry suit instead of this configuration?

Thanks for any input.

There's quite a bit of discussion about how poor neoprene gloves are when rappelling. As in, you are unable to grip the rope, possible loss of control.

I don't know how it works, I just know it does. I can make something up, like I usually do, if it would make you feel better.

That sounds like a very warm setup, that would become impossible the first time you had to rappel. Assuming you are well-fed and watered, and are moving, it should work.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by bhalvers2002 View Post
    At what point do you recommend a dry suit instead of this configuration?

Thanks for any input.
    Dry suits are great when someone else pays for them and maintains them. I use ZAC drysuits when i can justify it in any way, when there is ice floating on the water. Used one yesterday in Keyhole, but my friends rented two of em so it was definitely a good idea.

Tom

Thanks. Understand neoprene gloves on rope are not ideal.

So what gloves do you use in Keyhole with ice floating? Or better something like Imlay or Heaps with prolonged exposure to very cold water (assuming more full conditions)?

Quote Originally Posted by bhalvers2002 View Post
    Thanks. Understand neoprene gloves on rope are not ideal.

So what gloves do you use in Keyhole with ice floating? Or better something like Imlay or Heaps with prolonged exposure to very cold water (assuming more full conditions)?
    I use Atlas gloves (actually DHG PowerGrab), maybe with the dish glove underneath, and I don't get my hands wet as long as possible.

Tom

If you have small hands I've seen atlas over neoprene before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk