Thread: Elephant Butte

Elephant Butte

It has been claimed that this route is the BEST canyoneering route in Arches National Park. While I hesitate to proclaim the same thing, I would be lying if I didn't say that I LOVED this route!

Elephants Butte stands as the tallest point in Arches National Park. The view that you find at 5653' is AWE inspiring, to say the least! Standing on top of that butte just reaffirmed why I love Arches National Park so much. Viewing the landscape from the top and looking around at all of the majestic fins and red rock formations is so beautiful! This hike will not be a last for me.

<font color="#000000"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman">

Right from the get go things get interestings. Route finding for this trip gets a bit tricky, but with the help of the beta, we did just fine. The hike starts off with wonderful scramble up. Some parts of the hike get pretty steep and require someone with decent slickrock climbing skills to chart the way.

It is wonderful hiking and climbing through the sandstone fins on your way to the top! Getting to the top of butte is really the only time I have ever felt like I was canyoneering UPHILL! It was a uniquely pleasant experience. A bit more energy is required, but the fun factor is still pretty good!

Some of my favorite sections of this route are the "climbs" that have to be made. There are some pretty steep sections that get a little sketchy. I really enjoyed overcoming these obstacles. good, sticky shoes are a huge help on this hike!

Once we arrived at the top, we didn't take much time to enjoy the view. The sun was setting and we still needed to get back to our car before twilight. The time I did spend up there was wonderful though. WHAT A VIEW!

The way down was just as much fun as the way up! And in some cases, I like the descent route better. The canyon-bowl area that we used to get back down was so pretty. I LOVED it. The final rap was pretty straight forward too. I did manage to drop my phone into a pothole full of water though. that was kinda scary! But, the phone still works, so not all was lost *phew*! Anyway, traversing through all of the fins and spires was really a neat experience. I loved the adventure! Chock this trip to one of Moabs best!

CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. Likes Slot Machine, french_de liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice report Blake!

Putting your arms up once you reach the summit is just gonna happen. Nothing can stop it.

I'm king of the world!

Name:  IMG_5222.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  60.9 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

5. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Nice report Blake!

Putting your arms up once you reach the summit is just gonna happen. Nothing can stop it.

I'm king of the world!
    You make a very interesting observation Bob :) why do we feel the urge to raise our hands to heaven when we feel accomplished??
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Thanks for the nice report and pics for those of us stuck in our offices. I'm counting down the days until my trip next month for a week of hiking with my daughters down that way!

8. Likes Kuya, Slot Machine liked this post
    Loved the TR Blake!

Although Entrada sandstone my not make the best slots, for pure beauty it's hard to beat IMHO.

10. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Definitely my favorite Moab route. Great report!
    --Cliff