Thread: Purgatory

Purgatory

On March 19th, 2014, Tony (@Absolute Gravity) and I did a lap through Purgatory. It was great canyon with very sculpted walls (the photos do no justice). Knowing it was dry we headed through with minimal gear (thanks @Mountaineer for posting a candition!).

The final 110ft rappel was interesting. We rapped from a stone that was wedged into a crack on the floor of the canyon. Something a little new to us. The stone that the previous grouped used was no bigger than a baseball. I selected a much larger stone, simply to make myself feel better, and it worked just as well.

It was a great day with a great friend.

Name:  P1010597.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  158.5 KB

Name:  P1010600.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  157.4 KB

Tony rapping under an unusual rock. The 'clamshell rappell' has a good ring to it.

Name:  P1010606.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  131.4 KB

Name:  P1010610.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  119.1 KB

The vistas around the Dantes are stunning. If you look closely, I'm in the pothole far below.

Name:  P1010615.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  177.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Woohoo! love this canyon. Going under that boulder to get on the rap was super fun. And the partner assists through the downclimbs were also a blast.

I'll bet you found stones we wedged and setup as a cam action between the canyon walls. I thought I recall one that had two anchor points. Can't imagine someone came in just after us from last weekend, but you never know. We doubled up the webbing that went over the lip, as it would slide back and forth on the rap.

We farmed some rocks down to use as anchor chocks, glad you found one to your liking. Nice job.

Thanks for the TR and pics.

Thanks Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    I thought I recall one that had two anchor points.
    I'm sure it was the same stone. It was cammed nicely where you left it. Once I took it all appart to inspect, I felt uneasy about using the same rock (not being confident in building small cam anchors, and with my runaway imagination, slightly worried that it might crush). So I selected a bigger rock, perhaps 5 times the size, wrapped it, then jammed it in precisely the same part of the slot.

A gut decision, not so much a logical decision, and no reflection of what I thought of your worksmanship.

By two anchor points, do you mean the rock was camming in two places?

I think it was rap 3 that had the two anchor points.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post

By two anchor points, do you mean the rock was camming in two places?
    No, two anchor points. Appears that was on rap 3.