Thread: Hog 4 + Hog 2

Hog 4 + Hog 2

On March 18th, 2014, Tony and I ventured down Miss Piggy and Hog 2.

Both are nice little canyons, a great combo for a cold windy day. Just a few pictures to share...

Rapping in MIss Piggy
    Name:  P1010556.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  111.2 KB

Rapping from Miss Piggy into Boss Hog

Name:  P1010558.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  153.2 KB

Stemming in Hog 2

Name:  P1010565.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  222.9 KB

Name:  P1010567.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  62.7 KB

A luxurious stretch of easy narrows in Hog 2
    Name:  P1010574.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  144.0 KB

Name:  P1010575.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  148.0 KB

Where is the bottom of this chute??

Name:  P1010590.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  119.9 KB

Waaay down there.

Name:  P1010591.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  103.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Love it! Northwash canyons are amazing. Great pictures Bob. Can't wait to hear about how that "other" canyon went you asked about...

4. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Can't wait to do some of the Hog Canyons!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

6. Likes Slot Machine, Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Can't wait to do some of the Hog Canyons!
    All four are worth your time. We left smiling.

FWIW, the north exit is much more enjoyable than the west exit.

We wondered, does anyone use the north exit exclusively?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    North Exit? Up the crazy loose gully?

West Exit? Up the slab between 1 and 2?

How was the road?

Tom

yeah, when we did Miss Piggy, we accidently hiked up the gully! it was a good climb! I do remember taking a break on the hike up the gully and looking at the slab between 1 and 2 and commenting to my group about how awesome that approach hike would be compared to the one we were doing. LOL!! oh how little did i know that WAS the exit hike we were SUPPOSE to be taking! haha
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

10. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    North Exit? Up the crazy loose gully?

West Exit? Up the slab between 1 and 2?

How was the road?

Tom
    The road is in great shape.

The loose gully is on the west-ish side of the complex, the slab exit is on the north side of the complex. It sounds like you always use the slab exit...?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    The road is in great shape.

The loose gully is on the west-ish side of the complex, the slab exit is on the north side of the complex. It sounds like you always use the slab exit...?
    Slab good.

Gully bad.

T

13. Likes Kuya, Slot Machine liked this post
    Fantastic shots! Thanks for sharing. Really starting to itch to get down South sooner than later!

15. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Great TR Bob. I still need to do Hog 2, maybe this is the year. My $0.02, If I'm doing two canyons I'll hike back up the slab for the next canyon. If I'm heading home after one of the canyons, I go up the gully.

For others following at home, here's a simple diagram of the exit choices.
    Name:  Hog_Exits.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  97.3 KB

17. Likes Slot Machine, Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    Great TR Bob. I still need to do Hog 2, maybe this is the year. My $0.02, If I'm doing two canyons I'll hike back up the slab for the next canyon. If I'm heading home after one of the canyons, I go up the gully.

For others following at home, here's a simple diagram of the exit choices.
    Thanks WorkBad.

Intuitively, I thought everyone did the same as your $0.02 above. After doing all of the Hogs and both of the exits, I've come up with two theories:

1. Let's say I raced my clone back to the car -my clone via the slab and myself via the gully. I think that my clone might win, despite the extra distance added, because traveling up the gully exit is so slow.

2. Even if I did beat my clone back to the car while using the gully exit by a few minutes, I'm pretty sure my clone would be have a more enjoyable experience, because the gully exit sucks so bad.

Tom's comments above seem to confirm at least one of these theories. Therefore, we'll be using the slab exit exclusively from now on.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

19. Likes ratagonia, WorkBad liked this post

21. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    I haven't done the slab yet, but the gully wasn't enjoyable...I spent the entire time gazing across hog 4 envious of the gradual incline of the slab. :)

-Luke

23. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Awesome shots Slot! It was nice running into you on the climb up the slab. We had a great time at Utah, we'll definitely be back for more next year.

25. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by varunr89 View Post
    Awesome shots Slot! It was nice running into you on the climb up the slab. We had a great time at Utah, we'll definitely be back for more next year.
    Varun!

It was good to meet you too! Thank your friend Scott again for the handline.

How was Hogwarts under the stars? Please tell me all the canyons you did again (so many). Pictures?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

I feel I should mention for others that find this thread that the first 20 feet of the slab entrance will require a little rock climbing skill, can't just walk up this one.

You're welcome on the handline, it was a pleasure meeting you guys. It's hard to believe (especially considering all the people camping at Sandthrax) but you were the only guys we ran into the whole week.

Hogwarts was great under the stars, I'd highly recommend it to anyone familiar with the raps/canyon. The critters we hadn't seen during the day were coming out and the stars were incredibly clear. We got lucky with the weather too, no strong winds that night like the others.

We ended up doing Blarney right fork, Leprechaun middle fork, Hog 2, Hog 3, Hogwarts, Merry Piglet, and Constrychnine while out there. All were excellent, I'd say Hog2 and Hogwarts were our favorites. I did get a few good pictures but not as many as I expected - I was enjoying the canyoneering too much to keep stopping and digging out the camera :)

I should have time tonight or tomorrow to put up a brief trip report with pictures.

-Scott

28. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by schnottus View Post
    I did get a few good pictures but not as many as I expected - I was enjoying the canyoneering too much to keep stopping and digging out the camera :)
    Glad I'm not the only one. I go through take a few pictures, think I got lots of great ones, and then get back and find out I only took like 5-6, and they were all in the same area. I get moving lose track of time and before I know it the canyons done.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one. I go through take a few pictures, think I got lots of great ones, and then get back and find out I only took like 5-6, and they were all in the same area. I get moving lose track of time and before I know it the canyons done.
    You do like to move fast through the canyons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum