Thread: hydration mods?

hydration mods?

So my Osprey is starting to fall apart and I need to start looking for a new pack. Of the Canyoneering packs on the market I haven't seen any that are hydration compatible. That feature is important to me because I just know I won't hydrate adequately without it. I like to drink on the move and rarely stop to dig through my pack for a Nalgene.

Anyway, I know the Teton bag has that feature but I really don't trust that pack. I feel like the minute it sees a sandstone canyon it will disintegrate. The Imlays aren't available and I'm tired of waiting. I'll probably get a Rodcle or something like that.

Question - For those of you with true Canyoneering packs that are using hydration resevoirs, was it as simple as throwing it in your pack and just running the tube down your pack strap, or did you do something else?

I'm used to the resevoir having it's own "pocket" and worry that it could get damaged or not function properly without it.

Or am I overthinking this? LOL

Thanks in advance for all of your responses.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyen8ive View Post
    So my Osprey is starting to fall apart and I need to start looking for a new pack. Of the Canyoneering packs on the market I haven't seen any that are hydration compatible. That feature is important to me because I just know I won't hydrate adequately without it. I like to drink on the move and rarely stop to dig through my pack for a Nalgene.

Anyway, I know the Teton bag has that feature but I really don't trust that pack. I feel like the minute it sees a sandstone canyon it will disintegrate. The Imlays aren't available and I'm tired of waiting. I'll probably get a Rodcle or something like that.

Question - For those of you with true Canyoneering packs that are using hydration resevoirs, was it as simple as throwing it in your pack and just running the tube down your pack strap, or did you do something else?

I'm used to the resevoir having it's own "pocket" and worry that it could get damaged or not function properly without it.

Or am I overthinking this? LOL

Thanks in advance for all of your responses.
    Imlays are hydration compatible. June 20th is the date. Sorry it is taking so long.

(stepping up on a handy, nearby soapbox...)

I've always found them particularly bad for canyoneering. The only piece of equipment I know of that regularly fails before we even get out of the car. And if you bring it into the canyon, then it can fail there. DREAMY!

Or you can wear it hiking, and over-hydrate. Sure is a terrible thing to be a little bit thirsty...

This fascination with keeping one's hydro-system tippy top full all the time is... OCD or something. You don't need to, in fact, it is counter productive. In hot weather, yeah. But the rest of the time, let yourself run down a quart or two. Top back up at the end of the day. Your body is built for that kind of action, and it works fine. Give it a try, you might like it.

(ok, rant over)

Tom

4. Likes Taylor, buckeyen8ive liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

I've always found them particularly bad for canyoneering.
    I found my nozzle would continually get drug in the sand, mud, then break. If it survived, I would pause and stare at the drinking nozzle. Just for a few moments at least, especially after swimming through a pothole filled with (debris, dead bugs, dead animals...).

Thus, I gave up on the bladder method after a few rookie trips and replaced that particular pocket in my pack with a spare wind breaker jacket and garbage bag.

6. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Many times on half day canyons I get back to the car with a full bottle or find I only took a drink while suiting up and live to tell the story.

Of course this wasn't the case when I went through Imlay with Mountaineer in July and it was 110+

8. Likes ratagonia, Mountaineer liked this post