Thread: Elephant Butte Late April?

Elephant Butte Late April?

I'll be in the Moab area in late April, and am interested in doing Elephant Butte in Arches. As there are no guide services doing this (that I've found, probably by regulation), I'd like to invite a partner on this. Ideally, that person would have done this before and would have sufficient skill to belay, rappel and climb the "technical" sections.

About me: I'm 55, reasonably fit, a former mountain guide in my youth. I keep active, hiking, scrambling, cycling. In terms of fearlessness and ability, I've done Goblin's Lair at Goblin Valley (including the rappel), alone, not once but twice.

I'll be in the area sometime during the time period of April 19-26, if all goes according to plan.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bummer! Those dates don't work for me. BUT, it sounds like you have the skills to do this without a guide (I don't ever recommend anyone to canyoneering solo though). The raps are pretty straightforward and are easy to rig. The climb up is pretty easy for those comfortable scrambling up sandstone.

Good luck finding a partner for this route :) wish i could do it again. I loved it when I did it about a month ago!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

We probably couldn't make those dates but here is our trip report from early April last year. Have fun!

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-National-Park

WorkBad, that's an excellent TR! The pics will be printed and in my pocket for my trip. I am sure they will save me many routefinding moments. I appreciate the help!

6. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Elephant is a great route. You will love it.

My wife shows one way to conquer the crux here:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...Elephant-Butte

8. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Here are my kids (ages 9 and 11) doing the crux when things were iced up.

Name:  Elephant Butte and Fisher Towers 009.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  91.0 KB

Name:  Elephant Butte and Fisher Towers 018.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  85.7 KB

When dry, it's fairly easy, but perhaps intimidating to some. The first person can climb with a spot and then belay everyone else up.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I've done Elephant Butte twice, and it's great fun.

The best bit (I hope Scott will forgive me) was when his eldest whupped Scott's ass on the Owl Rock climb.

Name:  Ptdc0104.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  69.6 KB

(not a mandatory part of the EB route)

The best bit (I hope Scott will forgive me) was when his eldest whupped Scott's ass on the Owl Rock climb.
    That happens on every climb now. He's come a long way since Owl Rock.

Last time we went, he did some 5.11's.

Perhaps this is getting a bit off topic though.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

We just did Elephant Butte today. This is the fourth time for me, always fun.

If you can't find anyone to tag along with I would recommend hiring Desert Highlights to take you on the Granary trip. It will be very educational and a fun trip to boot.

Keep the posts coming! I'm enjoying them immensely! Moab Mark, what is the Granary? I've been to many Granaries, but never on a guided tour.

Deserthighlights.com look up granary

Oooooh nice! It's on the list as a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    If you can't find anyone to tag along with I would recommend hiring Desert Highlights to take you on the Granary trip. It will be very educational and a fun trip to boot.
    Personally I would never pay $180 to have someone guide me thru a canyon. Find someone to go with, or if unsure on doing yourself wait til you have done a few and your skill level & confidence allow you to lead. it is not very hard but need to go in prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    Personally I would never pay $180 to have someone guide me thru a canyon. Find someone to go with, or if unsure on doing yourself wait til you have done a few and your skill level & confidence allow you to lead. it is not very hard but need to go in prepared.
    NEVER? not even if you don't have your personal gear and find yourself in the Italian alps with some of the best canyoneering in the world; BUT don't really know the routes?!

I definitely think hiring a guide has its place.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

First item - Elephant Butte lends its self nicely to solo or beginner groups. The crux of the route is very early on and if you don't feel comfortable with the required moves you just pack up and come back to play anther day. The crux is pretty easy for an experienced canyoneer or anyone with mediocre climbing skills.

Second item - guides have there place, I have used them before and will use them again. As a business owner I consider the $180 cost per day for a professional guide be a real bargain. Considering you get lunch and he still has to pay his insurance, fed taxes, state taxes, licensing, yada, yada.... let's see you find any other professional trade group willing to work for those wages. What did you pay last time you had your car fixed or plumbing repaired?

That is really quite a bargain. If you pay attention to the guide by the end of granary you should have enough skills to do anything in Moab. Just join climb utah and you'll have all the beta and be ready to roll.

Having been a guide in a past life, I would hire one again for the above reasons.

And I am a member of the phenomenal climb-utah website (having helped contribute on one route). Although I have stayed active, I'm not on an area that allows me to hone my technical skills regularly, hence the desire for a partner. If I don't find one I probably will try it alone. The climb-utah description, plus some of the excellent TRs and photos here, I feel confident about the route.

Thanks for all the advice and feedback!