Thread: Should Base Jumping Be Legal in National Parks?

Should Base Jumping Be Legal in National Parks?

Husband of base jumper (wife) who died in Zion National Park is starting a movement to change laws. He is also raising money to honor his late wife.

--

Butler said he thinks BASE jumping laws needs to be changed in national parks. He is also starting a movement to legalize such activities in what he refers to as “taxpayer owned land.”
    “BASE jumping in our national parks is a fundamental right,” Butler said.

--

SALT LAKE CITY — The husband of a woman who died while BASE jumping has started a fundraiser in her honor.

On March 8, Amber Bellows was BASE jumping off Mount Kinesava in Zion National Park when her parachute failed to open. Her body was later recovered by a park search and rescue team.

Bellows’ husband of two weeks, Clayton Butler, was with her just before her jump. He parachuted off the cliff immediately after but was unable to locate her body at the base of the mountain.

Initially, Butler was charged with a misdemeanor for jumping from a natural feature. Two days after Butler was charged, police announced the charges were being dropped. BASE jumping is currently illegal in all national parks.

Zion National Park spokeswoman Aly Baltrus said at the time the charges were filed that this was the first fatality related to BASE jumping in the park's history.

The days since his wife’s death have been challenging, but he’s ready to start the healing process, Butler said. As part of that process, he’s starting a fundraiser in honor of Bellows. He said he plans on splitting the donations three ways. “Amber was a strong animal advocate,” Butler said. “I’d like to donate money to the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals), as well as pay back the search and rescue team who brought her down off the mountain.”

He also plans on donating money to Whole Planet, an organization that provides microfinance loans to impoverished people living in Asia, Africa, North and South America and the Middle East. Bellows was involved in Whole Planet and had visited Peru as part of a service group a few years ago.

Butler has set up a website and is selling T-shirts and bumper stickers to raise money for each of these three groups. He hopes to raise at least $100,000 to split three ways, he said.

The search and rescue team did not solicit reimbursement, Butler said, but he feels it is an important part in the process of honoring his wife.

“I will always be indebted to them for bringing my wife back to me,” Butler said. “I had to reach out to them to find out how much the rescue costs.” A representative for Zion National Park had no comment regarding the money being raised for the search and rescue team.

Butler said he thinks BASE jumping laws needs to be changed in national parks. He is also starting a movement to legalize such activities in what he refers to as “taxpayer owned land.”

“BASE jumping in our national parks is a fundamental right,” Butler said.

Following Bellows' death, Jim Milestone, the superintendent of the National Parks Service, released a statement regarding the current laws regarding BASE jumping.

"It is just really sad and our condolences go out to her family and friends. BASE jumping is so dangerous. Even for those that are experienced, like Amber Bellows. That is one of the reasons it is not allowed in the park," Milestone said.

Read more at http://m.ksl.com/index/story/sid/291...TKmPJFlS3LC.99

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Utah View Post
    We've been down this road before....

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/oct/23/news/mn-25364
    Man, what a horrible story. But oh, the irony.

Thanks for sharing the story - I must of missed out on this one.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I stand by my earlier feelings after her death. I was almost at the point of genuine sympathy for him and now he wants to use that to get others to pay the SAR costs. He's fortunate that the government was more sympathetic and dropped the charges.

"Fundamental right" Nope.

7. Likes phinux liked this post
    People have interesting ideas about what their rights are. But in fairness, I'd be interested in seeing him go through the legal process of trying to change the law by petitioning, gathering signatures, and either putting it out as a measure on the state ballots (which might only cover state parks) or taking it before the legislature. But while I'd love to get into base jumping, I'd vote no on it.

On an unrelated note, how does the bogley community feel about putting forth a measure to revoke Daylight Savings in Utah? Because I'm seriously considering going after that one.

Hmmm interesting premise. I guess if we have a fundamental right to hike, backpack, rappel, mtn bike, etc... Then yes that could extend to base jumping. Everything is inherently dangerous to a certain degree and it's our job as enthusiasts to mitigate that danger to a level we feel comfortable participating. So I see no reason to deny a person the right to hike public lands when it's cold out or bears about, nature is inherently dangerous. I can conclude the same for base jumping. Everyone should be able to enjoy public lands as they see fit, as long as it doesn't do damage or spoil another person's enjoyment. While it would bum me out to see a base jumper splat, it wouldn't bum me out any less than seeing a rockclimber splat or a mtn biker break his neck. But maybe there is some other reason I'm missing. Seems to me like he has a legit argument.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phinux View Post
    On an unrelated note, how does the bogley community feel about putting forth a measure to revoke Daylight Savings in Utah? Because I'm seriously considering going after that one.
    You should start a thread and we'll find out...

I dunno, for me. I like it to some degree but hate it on the others.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

If BASE jumping were allowed in Zion, which I'm not totally against, I think there should be regulations as to what cant be jumped and when you can jump it. No jumping on peak holidays or from certain popular spots like Angle's. Keep it in places where hoards of public won't have to witness the splat if, heaven forbid something goes wrong, A permit system would be the way to go.

Angel's Landing is still open after so many falling deaths, so why not? Is it really the fear of death that should make it illegal?

I could understand from the viewpoint of those hoping for some level of Serenity and peace at a national park (although it's somewhat foolish to expect this). BASE jumping is rarely a quiet, peaceful sport, but rather followed with loud screaming and celebrations, bright parachutes interrupting the natural landscape and environment, if that kind of thing is crucial to your park enjoyment.

Also the landing, it's very likely they will land off trail, in parks that highly emphasize the importance of staying on the path.

So, just like how you can't hike wherever you like, off trail, shortcuts, etc... I would support BASE jumping in designated spots with good landing areas. Beware the permit system to quickly follow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

The permit system shouldn't follow, it should accompany it.

The reality is that it probably won't happen.

I'm trying to think of parks where BASE jumping could be done. I don't think the demand is really there numbers wise.

These are the parks I can think of with desireable jumping spots.

Zion
    Yosemite
    Grand Canyon
    Canyonlands
    Arches (maybe)
    Capitol Reef (maybe)
    Great Basin
    Grand Teton
    Kings Canyon
    Great Smokey Mountains
    Glacier
    Rocky Mountain
    Black Canyon of the Gunnison
    Big Bend

Any I missed?

What is the standard minimum height to jump from and expect a successful landing?

Any I missed?
    Guadalupe, Glacier, North Cascades, Sequoia, and most the Alaska ones. If you count National Monuments, also places like Dinosaur or Devils Tower.

Anyway, I don't think the NPS will legalize BASE jumping. They already have enough lawsuits as it is and BASE jumpers have a very high fatality and injury rate.

Rock climbing and canyoneering have been mentioned, but there are several differences between these.

Although if you look carefully you can find rock climbers from a roadside viewpoint, canyoneers and rock climbers are mostly invisible on most routes in the national parks. Places like Owl Rock or the last drops in Heaps or Behunin Canyon are exceptions.

Also, unless they are doing an illegal BASE jump, most jumpers seem to prefer easy access jumps that have roads or trails to the top. That would make them really visible and could even create a hazard.

Everyone's going to see a BASE jumper in those areas. The NPS does ban canyoneering and climbing in some tourist areas (such as above Weeping Rock and the bottom of Echo Canyon) where they see possible hazards or conflicts. If they did allow it, it would almost certainly be in a remote area rather than in front of the main tourist pull outs.

I'm guessing that it won't happen though and the NPS won't allow it. Some of the parks barely even tolerate activities such as climbing and canyoneering.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

This is one of the most rational discussions I have ever seen on the topic of national parks and BASE jumping. So thanks (most of you) for that.

There are no doubts that BASE jumping is more dangerous than most, if not all, other sports. However, the pool of participants is extremely small. I've watched several thousand if not over 10,000 BASE jumps and I have never directly seen anyone "splat" (as referred by some of you). What makes you think that the 5 jumps you will ever see if it is legal in NPS terrain will be someone impacting the ground? It's human primitive instinct to assume the most negative thing we can possibly can as a reality. That's what kept us in survival during our pre-enlightment years. However, this is pretty easily thwarted with a basic knowledge of the sport and a slew of statistics (like my experience of watching thousands). In reality, if you hang out at a highway or Angel's landing, you are probably much more likely to see someone "splat".

Check out our site: www.para-alpinism.com or go to the Para Alpinism Organization on facebook.

Always looking for constructive criticism and positive feedback. Thanks guys!