Thread: Water Canyon (Robbers Roost)

Water Canyon (Robbers Roost)

1) Just how skinny is Water Canyon?
    2) How easy is it to climb over the skinny stuff, in comparison to Alcatraz?
    3) How cool is the first part that you miss if you bypass?

Also, any one have any conditions on the road and canyons out there in the High Spur area?

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ooops wrong water canyon... ignore post
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Everything you need to know about Robbers Roost Water Canyon is here:
    http://climb-utah.com/Roost/roostwater.htm

When using my beta.... If fat guys are going to have issues it will be noted in the beta. Enjoy....

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Just how skinny is Water Canyon?
    I passed through without any problems (~6', 170 lbs), and I know others larger than I made it OK. I seem to recall it isn't nearly as tight as many others (Hard Day Harvey, Shenanigans, Alcatraz).

If within your comfort/skill level, always nice to experience the entire canyon (leave your rope in case you can't anchor the next drop).

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    I seem to recall it isn't nearly as tight as many others (Hard Day Harvey, Shenanigans, Alcatraz).
    There's quite a big difference in tightness and difficulty of upclimbing between those three canyons!

Iceaxe's video makes it looks like the 2 bolts are gone from the first lower rappel. Is this true?

My wife and I did Water Canyon last September, and did bypass the 2nd rap since the chokestone anchor looked sketchy and it was too muddy to try and dig for a better one. That said, bypassing it (I.e. jugging back up the 1st rap line into the canyon and walking LDC a bit) you don't miss much of the canyon. You enter again just above the tightest part (which BTW, is pretty tight and you'll definitely have to remove your pack).

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Iceaxe's video makes it looks like the 2 bolts are gone from the first lower rappel. Is this true?
    No, those bolts were there and in good shape. The semi-keeper was tricky to stem across in muddy conditions and was the crux of the route IMO.

Roads to the Roost and High Spur area were in very good shape considering we went a few weeks after the big rain/flood events in the area. I would guess that's still true now....

9. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Looks like you are planning on doing this canyon. Be sure to post a TR when you get back. :-)

Hey, that's my video!

Man, I need to get out and shoot some more canyoneering videos. I haven't been on a rope for so long!

That was a good day. Water Canyon has some nice features and provides a little bit of everything. A long free hanging rappel, a deadman anchor, some down climbs and a good partner assist to get to the deadman. You pass by some of the highlights of Horseshoe Canyon as well. The skinny stuff in WC is nothing compared to Alcatraz.
    Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Audilard View Post
    Hey, that's my video!

Man, I need to get out and shoot some more canyoneering videos. I haven't been on a rope for so long!
    Climb-Utah could sure use some more of your great video's.